Bittersweet

By David Spangler, in Horus Heresy

I have to say I have bittersweet feelings about this one. Having played and enjoyed the original, I'm happy to see this, and the FFG treatment looks superb. Their games just get better and better (and more and more expensive...sigh). But I was hoping for something more original for the second epic box game and not simply a GW retread. Granted there's a built in audience here of an established fan base for WH40K, but FFG has its own original sci-fi universe in TI--a universe that, in my opinion, is more interesting and flexible than that of Warhammer 40K. I had hoped that the next big sci-fi game would be an extension of some kind of the TI universe, perhaps a tactical battle game or an adventure game (or both).

This won't keep me from buying and enjoying HH, particularly if they tweak the original enough to make it more interesting and exciting over several repeat playings. But I'd still like to see the creative minds at FFG--who right now seem at the top of their game--turn their attention to making something truly revolutionary and mind-blowing in a sci-fi universe of their own creation, just as they've done with Runewars.

And there's still one more box to be revealed, so there's still hope. The TI game using the Dune mechanics is still out there as a promise.....

Which Dune-game are you talking about?

Personally I think that Warhammer is a much more interesting universe than TI. It is actually quite deep and compelling once you get past the whole "OMG Space Marinez RoXRZZZZ!!!" image. I have not had the chance to play the original Horus Heresy, but that time period within the 40k universe is very interesting to me, and I have no problem with a game that revolves around the Siege of Terra. The miniatures look kind of fiddly, but I am sure they will grow on me and as long as the rules are any good I will definitely be picking this one up.

Yeah, but GW doesn't have cat people...

Jupp i totaly agree the game GW made( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/12850 ) in a reprint with some new cardbattel rules is GREAT
BUT i whould love to se the TI universe grow.
So less outer companys IP and more of the Ti universe.

If a TI game is to be the next one, then it should very **** well deserve to be the last one revealed. (fingers crossed)

Cat people... Tell me, is TI somehow connected to the Wing Commander computer games series? (sorry for offtop).

Stefan said:

Which Dune-game are you talking about?

This is in reference to the old Avalon Hill game Dune. FF is supposed to be doing a new game of it just rethemed somehow in the TI realm instead.

Marcin Przybyłek said:

Cat people... Tell me, is TI somehow connected to the Wing Commander computer games series? (sorry for offtop).

Nope.

And can anyone give me a link to this dune game? I can't find it on bgg.

szlachcic said:

Personally I think that Warhammer is a much more interesting universe than TI. It is actually quite deep and compelling once you get past the whole "OMG Space Marinez RoXRZZZZ!!!" image. I have not had the chance to play the original Horus Heresy, but that time period within the 40k universe is very interesting to me, and I have no problem with a game that revolves around the Siege of Terra. The miniatures look kind of fiddly, but I am sure they will grow on me and as long as the rules are any good I will definitely be picking this one up.

I have to agree with the above - the Warhammer universe has developed great depth over the (20+?) years since its inception, and I am pleased at the opportunity of picking up a two player game of this kind of scale. Having recently acquired Stronghold, which although possessing awkwardly phrased rules is a v. good two player, I am hoping that the Horus Heresy game will go some way to having the same re-play value - this wasn't always the case with a few GW games from back in the day. In any case, I certainly don't mind FFG releasing more games like this in the 40K line - they will be hugely popular amongst gamers here in the UK, I have no doubt about that.

What I'd quite like is something like "Traders of the Twilight Imperium", which would be a cross between Merchant of Venus and the old Elite/Frontier computer games, set in the TI universe.

Stefan said:

And can anyone give me a link to this dune game? I can't find it on bgg.

If you're asking about this new FFG production, so far it's all a bunch of gossip so I doubt there's a page for it on BGG or anywhere else. I haven't seen anything official from FFG on the subject yet, although it could very well be the last box on the front page.

On the off chance that you're asking about the old Avalon Hill game (which I doubt), here you go:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121/dune