So, What's a Beginner to Do?

By darthyagi, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

Hey, all.

I got into ANR not too long ago; I played (and won!) my first game a couple years ago, then there was a long time where I didn't really game at all. Then a few months ago, I got my hands on the core set and the first expansion from the Genesis cycle. My wife's not super into the game, and the friends I game with ... well, there's never just two of us, as we're usually playing games like Mysterium, Eldritch Horror or Rifts. You know, games where you've got a whole table of people.

So this makes me wonder. I don't want to force my wife to sit down and play a game with me, as that'll just make her hate it. That's led me to going online to places like Jinteki.net, OCTGN (when I'm using Windows) or LackeyCCG. Problem is, I want to use cards that I actually own to play so I can have a good idea as to how it stacks up (pun intended) against other decks. Partially, this is to gauge my own ability, but it's also a way for me to figure out what play style works best for me, since I've played a grand total of 2 1/2 games so far.

So, hive mind: what's a newb to do? I've got all these cards and I'm really excited about the game. Problem is, nobody around me is, and I want to keep my online decks as close to what I have as possible. Any tips on good deck building techniques?

If you go on NetrunnerDB you can toggle only how many expansions and how many core sets you actually own, and export to Jinteki.net.

Join the club. I look at 3 hour round trips to go somewhere to play. And this annoying thing called employment means no weeknight gaming (still a 3 hour round trip), which of course is when all the league stuff is happening. It's a great game but no one seems to play it.

Yeah same problem here. A store in the area tried a Netrunner night but it died pretty quick, most of the others don't even bother. It's frustrating since I want to play but man is it difficult to find people without going to some store a hour away on a weeknight.

I have the same problem with the Star Wars LCG, although my wife is a little more amenable to that one, since we're both holocronies. Still, she doesn't get into the deckbuilding aspect in anything, and even hearing that something has a deckbuilding aspect (a la the DC deckbuilding game), she's just put off. So maybe I'll just follow your advice, Grimwalker and go to Netrunnerdb.

Thanks!