If FFG were to make a new expansion, what playable races/factions would you like to see?

By mitchjmiller, in Rune Age

Hey Guys,

Like many of you I'd love to see another expansion for this game.

So say FFG did consider working on one; what playable races/factions would you like to see; or think would be plausible?

Some monster group races seem to be intelligent enough to warrant them being playable in the universe.

Goblins could be an option.

In Descent they're a bit of a dumb race, but they have a leader; Spligg, and a bit of a story to them too. Would be an interesting playable race to include that are already built into the Runebound Universe.

Dragons ; bit of a long-shot but could be interesting (especially given some are already included in the common pool).

Dragons often come with character names and leaders in all the different games in the Runebound universe and have minions as well. In Runebound Margath has a whole bunch of dragons and dragonlings added to the story/event decks. Belthir in Descent is a dragon halfling. Potential here to have a playable faction of sorts I think.

What other races/factions do you think would work as playable? :)

Honestly I don't think that more races are needed. But a 5 and 6 player support would be beyond awesome, as well as some additions to the current races - either a new unit, or some Reward-like cards that give boosts in various ways.

Such an expansion I would buy straight away.

If there has to be a new faction, some sea-creatures would fit perfectly and provide a nice alternative (haven't played Descent so can't say exactly).

I echo Valdmart's sentiments. We don't really need new units at this point. I think what we really need are new scenarios, and especially scenarios that incorporate more players. Such an expansion would come with more gold to furnish extra players and perhaps some more cities as well. I definitely wouldn't turn down new unit additions to the existing armies.

I've been toying with the idea of a 3v3 scenario. I suppose it could also work for 2v2.

We don't need any new races, but we need more scenarios most. New mechanics might be nice as well.

I think some legendary heroes would be neat to add in because it will tie Rune Age more strongly to Runebound and Runewars. I'm not sure how they could be implemented, though.

I think some legendary heroes would be neat to add in because it will tie Rune Age more strongly to Runebound and Runewars. I'm not sure how they could be implemented, though.

I love this idea!

Could have one legendary hero unit per faction (i.e. one card, or even a set of unique heroes); and they could be added to discard pile when destroyed like the new units in Oath and Anvil.

For thematic sake you could even have their cost be something other than gold; say Influence. So as you conquer cities or defeat enemies, you "attract your factions hero to fight alongside you"; but realistically you just buy it from the barracks.

You could also have them as common units that everyone could buy, but I think having them as elite units specific to the factions would allow you to really hone in on each factions' mechanics. Would be a little unimpressive receiving one card per faction though, hence the suggestion of having a few heroes per faction but limit to buying one or something. They could each compliment different strategies that way too.

I love this idea!

Could have one legendary hero unit per faction (i.e. one card, or even a set of unique heroes); and they could be added to discard pile when destroyed like the new units in Oath and Anvil.

For thematic sake you could even have their cost be something other than gold; say Influence. So as you conquer cities or defeat enemies, you "attract your factions hero to fight alongside you"; but realistically you just buy it from the barracks.

You could also have them as common units that everyone could buy, but I think having them as elite units specific to the factions would allow you to really hone in on each factions' mechanics. Would be a little unimpressive receiving one card per faction though, hence the suggestion of having a few heroes per faction but limit to buying one or something. They could each compliment different strategies that way too.

Those are some neat ideas!

Another idea I came up with is to have a deck of heroes, face-down in the barracks. A hero always costs the same amount of influence (whatever that number is), but you draw one random hero instead of choosing one. This ties it to Runewars more than Runebound or Descent, but I think that's okay.

It would be so amazing if FFG considered something like this for a mini expansion/scenario pack.

Just a smallish deck of cards; contains maybe a new unit for each faction (hero type units?), a scenario deck, maybe some common unit for the centre pool.

Be similar to the scenario packs being made for Runebound at the moment, except even easier to put together. All cards are the same dimensions, no minis etc.

Very similar to the Warhammer Quest expansion packs they're making actually.

Would be a nice refresher for the fans I think, and wouldn't require quite as many resources as their more current games.

What would ye think of a mini expansion like this? Deck of maybe 40-60 cards with all of the above.
I'd be all over it!

Edited by mitchjmiller

I would clearly need some additionnal coop scenarios. These kinds are those that we play most.

They do say on their Print on Demand page ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/print-on-demand/ ) that the card quality would be different from those included in the base games (particularly the linen finish that is on all the Rune Age cards).

For that reason a POD expansion that includes new units etc. may not work as you could tell them apart in the deck.

New scenarios should definitely be possible though, as they aren't shuffled together with any other cards.

Is there anyway to show FFG the community's interest in such expansions, given POD are generally small, cheap and quick to develop expansions for games that they can't/don't want to fully support with boxed expansions? I'd say RuneAge is the perfect candidate for these types of expansions!

A scenario pack would be awesome I say!

Edited by mitchjmiller

They do say on their Print on Demand page ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/print-on-demand/ ) that the card quality would be different from those included in the base games (particularly the linen finish that is on all the Rune Age cards).

For that reason a POD expansion that includes new units etc. may not work as you could tell them apart in the deck.

New scenarios should definitely be possible though, as they aren't shuffled together with any other cards.

Is there anyway to show FFG the community's interest in such expansions, given POD are generally small, cheap and quick to develop expansions for games that they can't/don't want to fully support with boxed expansions? I'd say RuneAge is the perfect candidate for these types of expansions!

A scenario pack would be awesome I say!

Yep, it's definitely a possibility. People have discussed that for a while, though, and still nothing.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/104843-ffg-print-on-demand-scenario-please/

That said, it's kind of a known thing that FFG don't interact with the forums a lot.

Whether that means they don't see posts like this, I'm not sure.

Just wondering if there's a medium outside the forums that might put Rune Age a bit more into FFG's spotlight?

I know Runebound is one of their latest releases and I own it myself, but I'd much prefer a Rune Age expansion over that personally :)

IMO, some Legendary Heroes are excellent as well as some more units (specialized ones) for all the races, and, almost all... tons and tons of scenarios (solo AND multi)!!! Please FFG!!!!

That said, it's kind of a known thing that FFG don't interact with the forums a lot.

Whether that means they don't see posts like this, I'm not sure.

Just wondering if there's a medium outside the forums that might put Rune Age a bit more into FFG's spotlight?

I know Runebound is one of their latest releases and I own it myself, but I'd much prefer a Rune Age expansion over that personally :)

There is BoardGameGeek with some fans scenarios as well as new variant races and all.