Soakman's Gallery of Custom EH Characters

By Soakman, in General Discussion

I'm reserving this space as a gallery for when these characters are entirely finished. Crafting them without a Strange Eons Plug-in is difficult work, but I'm slowly brining over my thematic Arkham characters to Eldritch.

Let me know there is desire for these, and help me motivate myself to finish them! I'm still learning so quality may not be 100% similar to the regular game components, but they'll do. :)

e2eaeb55-25d6-43e8-9d7d-3f04f133310e_zps efb370ba-3ae1-4161-8aa6-dcac328bdbfa_zps

483c5cfa-4b01-46a0-93c6-eda0866e668b_zps 79cb1e3f-7cd8-4e6a-a33d-06e5f931c6f8_zps
91a66908-7165-493d-a9ad-5cca644d059a_zps 13c3a558-7b31-471a-bde9-dbac7d1c41d5_zps

cdc4f446-0bbb-4cc8-8716-d524c872b7c2_zps 5a43cce4-2e23-4b9e-82cf-3d786aaa6966_zps 27ae2a74-e1a8-42dc-86f6-353e1fb8a205_zps af087542-f4bf-46f3-892c-0865049ecd42_zps
e7d52cfd-66e3-43c5-b171-80a22bb53417_zps Obi20back20text20330_zpscj583n7y.jpg
f5194e9d-080a-41f2-ac6b-cc08a951fac1_zps 5a4ce949-524a-444d-a84e-806b2f6b3a29_zps

4dbb2dff-cb0f-4d07-b6cb-81e9dd22b9be_zps ba27f59c-7e95-49c2-a573-3377dbdca25d_zps
You can leave feedback on abilities etc if you please. Not 100% set in stone on any of these, but we will see. Abilities etc will likely make more sense when the backs are completed. Additionally, if you're really curious about the backstories, you can see their Arkham counterparts with extended backstory at the link in my signature.

Note: These investigators will not include "signatures" at the bottom of the card back as I can't find a reliable way to imitate various actual signatures, but I hope that won't be a deal breaker for anyone, :P .

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Here is a link to the kit I used to make these investigators. A Big thanks to Albert Mason and his downloadable files @ http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/120632/custom-investigator-kit

Edited by Soakman

Sadie's Action ability is downright broken.

You have nasty Dark Pact or Agreement, Blight, Curse, Haunted? Fear no more, Focus solves everything.

Sadie's Action ability is downright broken.

You have nasty Dark Pact or Agreement, Blight, Curse, Haunted? Fear no more, Focus solves everything.

I'll think it over, and I've been on the fence. I mean, it takes an action to remove which prevents you from doing other things, and the intent is it works only on Sadie. It's a lot like Wendy but has a cost, and in turn also makes her weaker because if she spends her focus, she also loses her passive ability's bonus. And she'll have less rerolls on other important tests.

Besides Hastur's blights, I don't often get a lot of Dark Pacts and Banes. They're rare. The idea was to have someone who could get rid of the harder conditions on herself at the cost of a utility ability (imo, the utility abilities are often what win you the game, not the sustainability of a single investigator). What if it was ONLY Deal conditions (the biggest concern here would be "free" debts, but that is also now a thing thanks to Jenny)?

Edited by Soakman

Anna: To be honest, after reading her 3 times I still feel like she has no "true" identity. What exactly is supposed to be her specialty?

Her stats seem to suggest a fighter, but the first ability does not concern that and the second is for a spellcaster.

If she is not a fighter, I would reduce her health by 1 to start with.

Sadie: Either deal-only or make the cost 2 Focus - as it is, it's just too good.

Anton: Should it not read "... non-epic monster on your space"??

Otherwise, I can't really see what an acrobat does to prevent the monsters reckoning ability - seems pretty odd.

Second Ability - I assume you mean health with stamina? / I don't have an example on the spot, but could triggering

the ability after the encounter not result in problems gameplay-wise?

[besides, if kept that way, I would change it to "successful encounter".]

@Lorinor

Thanks for the response! Just some info (a lot of the identity of these characters will likely come through in their descriptions and starting items).

Anna: She is intended to be resilient. Able to cast spells via her willpower and, shed physical injuries, and pack a wallop. Not the best at closing gates, but functions as a utility caster/front-line spellcaster to provide assistance when the others need help controlling the board. (Story-wise,she is based off of a real life woman who claimed to be the missing Anastasia Romanov. The time-line aligns with the setting of EH and whereas in real life, Anna Anderson was finally proven to be unrelated via DNA testing, for her entire life-time nobody was very certain. Anna had been institutionalized in a mental asylum for years and she looked very much as Anastasia would have looked and was the correct age. She was also strangely knowledgeable about her life. Since this is Lovecraft the question of her madness is unresolved, but either way the woman is resilient and stubborn as a mule).

Sadie: I will likely change this to Deal-only.

Anton: I feel a "on your space" requirement is too situational and would result in a mostly useless ability. Often times, you wouldn't bother going out of your way to a monster's space unless you could eliminate it permanently. The idea character-wise is that Anton is a Romani Acrobat (often referred to derogatively as "gypsy.") His connections via his cultural 'family' circles the globe and they have known first-hand eldritch horrors and pass down legends about them and how to stop/weaken them. It is this extended family, which Anton has contacted, that is "distracting" the monster during the reckoning phase.

His passive ability is where the "acrobat" comes in. And yes, it is Health(Thanks! I believe it is Stamina in Arkham Horror). As far as I can tell, it wouldn't cause game-play problems as the game exists now. It might give the player additional options they had not had before, but I don't think it will "break" the game. I don't want to change it to "successful" as this is sort of arbitrary. Some encounters require no tests, others may do something positive even if you fail, etc. He doesn't appear broken to me, but will be changed if it turns out otherwise. I think it sounds fun and provides some interesting options.

Edited by Soakman

You need to supply the back to each card. Otherwise what happens when they are crippled / driven insance.

You need to supply the back to each card. Otherwise what happens when they are crippled / driven insance.

These are coming. They're not yet finished. I'm collecting thoughts on the fronts here though while I'm working on the backs. When the files are available to download, they will also include standees to print.

The backs will also likely include 2 sets of starting items. One for those without the expansions and a more optimal starting kit that will include expansion elements.

Edited by Soakman

These are coming. They're not yet finished. I'm collecting thoughts on the fronts here though while I'm working on the backs. When the files are available to download, they will also include standees to print.

The backs will also likely include 2 sets of starting items. One for those without the expansions and a more optimal starting kit that will include expansion elements.

You should just assume they were part of an Expansion of your choice and use the Equipment present from the Base Game + that Expansion to keep things simple. Also print the Expansion symbol to make it for the people using them as simple as possible to choose an Investigator they have components for.

Great idea about the expansion symbol Runko, but I want the investigators to be as accessible as possible. I know a lot of players refuse to buy the side-board expansions because they don't like the board mechanics, and they will have none of those components. I also don't have quality scans of the expansion symbols.

I am going to include a OR option under starting equipment that allows the player to choose between a couple items in the case they do not have an expansion for investigators that include expansion components.

And if you guys think of any questionable situations for an investigator's ability I will add an FAQ. The only investigator that will see problems relating to expansion will be Hosea as his abilities revolve around Tasks and character Unique Assets. And maybe Edmund as I can't recall if the Silver Key is a base game artifact atm.

as I can't recall if the Silver Key is a base game artifact atm.

It is.

Finished the Back for Astrid Lee. It may be difficult to read. I can't find a way to get the text any crisper, but it may be passable when printed. The quality will not be 100% as clean and clear as regular components, but they should be decent enough considering Investigators shouldn't require precision similarities as they aren't "randomly drawn." Even if you choose to do so, I suppose you could always use another method to pick such as rolling dice and counting down from the top of the pile etc.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get a cleaner text image, feel free to let me know and I'll try to give it a shot.

If you want the text alone to read sans the image because it is too difficult on these small images, let me know and I can provide that as well. Thanks! <3

Edited by Soakman

06/25/16 Update: Hosea's back side has been added.

07/06/16 Update: Obi's back side has been added.

07/15/16 Update: Sadie's back side has been added. Also, her front has been updated for clarity. Functionality of abilities has not changed at this point.

07/15/16 Update: Eunice's back side has been added.

UPDATE: 08/26/16

Dang that surprise Mansions of Madness 2.0! Anyway, I'll try to have the rest of these done and ready to pring this weekend. Only 2 to go plus page layouts + zipping them for BGG. Then there is just an approval delay. Nearing completion!

I also got to playtest a few games with Astrid, Hosea, Eunice, Sadie, and Obi. They were all very fun and did not seem overtuned.

There is 1 Errata which won't be fixed before the upload, and that is during Obi's insane encounter, you DO gain all of his possessions. :B

Edmund Moore's front has been updated to reflect his inability to trade the Silver Key and also the back has been added for his investigator card.

Anna Anderson's back has been completed.

Edited by Soakman

Update 08/28/16: Anton's back has been added to the gallery!

All are finished. At least v 1.0. Creation of a convenient printing document next, and then, pending BBG approval, these will be available to print for personal use.

:)

Any additional thoughts on them or stories about how you enjoyed them in your games is more than welcome here in this thread.

Thanks guys!

UPDATE: 08/30/16 Prints are ready and have been submitted to BGG for V 1.0 as a single pdf with two documents for text reference and FAQ/Errata. Just waiting for the file approval. :lol:

Edited by Soakman