My City Fix

By Uvatha, in Talisman Home Brews

I came up with this The City Expansion fix for my Forever Talisman rules now I've amended it so players can used it without the Forever Talisman rules so it goes like this.

If the Blood Moon expansion is being used - the Time Card is replaced by The City (at Day & Night) card (this is just a bigger version of the Time card its size is just big enough to cover 3 shop spaces on the Cities region board) this now becomes the Time Card for the game and is flipped when it becomes Day or Night as stated normally in the Blood Moon expansion.

At the start of the game The City (at Day & Night) card is placed over the Apothecary, Sorcerer and Magic Emporium shop spaces, during the game whenever a character draws an Enemy – Law card from the City deck The City (at Day & Night) moves from the Apothecary, Sorcerer and Magic Emporium shop spaces to the Armoury, Menagerie and Stable shop spaces and vice versa.

So long as The City (at Day & Night) card is placed on these shop spaces the shops themselves are considered closed. When a shop is closed no character (other than the Cat Burglar) may move into the shop for any reason, also no character can take or buy any card from a shop space that is closed, ignore any effect that says so unless it’s a characters special ability.

If The Blood Moon expansion is not being used then The City (at Day & Night) card is still placed over the shops listed above but without the The City (at Day & Night) card being flipped itself according to the Time rules from The Blood Moon expansion. The City (at Day & Night) card then is normally kept with the day side up.

Now to fix the two nasty cards from the City expansion (which are of course the Assassin and the Scribe city cards) I have just removed them from the deck and replaced them with one of each of the Enemy - Law cards (you can do this by ether scanning the Enemy Law city cards and printing them so when the Assassin and the Scribe cards are drawn you can just replace them with the Enemy Law city cards or like me you managed to get a cheap copy of the City expansion so its simple to take them out and replace them). If you are doing the scanning you can easily just say the Assassin city card is a Night Guard city card and the Scribe a City Watch city card.

I find this makes the City not only fairer but forces characters to encounter more in the city before going and buying those great magic items and followers. And also allow other players to stuff up other characters that are trying to get a wanted object follower.

You can find a The City (at Day & Night) card under my Forever Talisman rules here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t6wj07rn2hqntif/AACaDPV2kHfxN9bs-z9treHaa?dl=0

Thoughts?

We just added 10 nasty cards to the city deck and always use night rules in the city when playing:

All shops are closed. You can still enter shops but may not buy anything.

You may still attempt to steal but if you roll a 1 you go directly to jail.

To leave or enter the city gates you must bribe the guard with 1 gold. If you have no gold you must loop back through the city when trying to exit.

The Werewolf may only enter the city at night. If he is in the city during the day immediately move him to the city gates space on the main board.

Any Lycanthrope that rolls a 1 for movement is immediately thrown in jail.

In these regards I leave the Scribe in....May as well have something good about the city. heh Every time I stroll through the city I end up getting my stuff stolen anyway. In the past 2 weeks I have played a good number of DE games(not allowing resurrection) and have died in every single game(12). 3 of those times while I was in the city.

Added 10 nasty cards?

Added 10 nasty cards?

Off the top of my head:

Thieves Guild: Pay 1 gold for every item in your possession or discard it.

Something about putting 5 nether realm cards on top of the city deck

Mafia Shakedown: Every character in the city realm; Roll a D6 for every item and follower in your possession. On a 1-3 discard those cards. 4-6 no effect

Tax hike: Every character in the city must discard all gold down to 1. If you have no gold take a life.

Street Brawl: Move the character playing with the highest strength to your space. You must engage in battle using your Strength value only. The loser loses one life and goes to jail. The winner gains a Strength and may randomly select an item from the purchase deck.

Inflation: For the next round all purchases in the city cost an additional gold; nothing may modify the inflation rate.

The rest are some tougher creatures all with craft/strength values.