Sometimes I Can't Roll an Extra Red/Yellow Die?

By Boba Rick, in Elder Sign

Okay, I got the app and love it. Never played the real game.

So I'm checking out my stuff, and I got a thingy that let's me roll a red die and another thingy that lets me roll a yellow die. I think, "Sweet, I got this!" Then I go into spot and it won't let me use my thingys and I fail, fail, fail. Then, at other times I can pull out my thingies and they do wonders for me.

Why is it that sometimes I can use these items and other times I can't? I double check the "adventure effects" and even sometimes when it says "no adventure effect" I still can't use them. Any advise?

Some cards can lock a die from use until that location/card is cleared (the locked die can be either green, yellow, or red). Based on your description, I'd check for that first, as it's the most likely reason you're unable to use the dice.

I should also say, welcome! The app is a great time, and if you ever decide to get the physical game it acts as a primer for the rules so you'll be able to pick it up quickly.

Hmmmmm. I just started a new game, and all of my peeps had red a yellow dice things, but none of them were able to use them in the first 2 rounds of the game. They were able to use clues, locks, and special abilities, but no adding of yellow or red dice.

Also, I saw one of the locations had red and yellow locked, but the other locations did not say they were. They said there was no adventure effect. I wouldn't have even tried those places without the extra die.

Is there a time lime, or round limit or something else that prevents adding red or yellow dice?

It is the adventure with the red and yellow ring (Visiting Antiquarian?) around it that locks the dice. This adventure locks the dice for everyone and every adventure, not just the adventure that locks them. It is only when you pass the adventure that is locking the dice that they become available for everyone and every other adventure. If a location has a red, yellow, or green circle sort of pulsating from the adventure location marker, it is locking that color die for everyone and every other adventure and that adventure needs to be passed before it unlocks. Does that make sense?

The obvious exception is if you're investigator is Sister Mary who ignores locks.

Hope that helps!

That's it! You nailed it, thanks!

My friend, go reward yourself with a donut, Donut.

That's it! You nailed it, thanks!

My friend, go reward yourself with a donut, Donut.

Its easier to see in the physical card/dice game because when an adventure card is revealed that has the dice-lock icon (for whichever colour) you have to actually put the relevant dice on top of the lock icon, which physically removes the dice from the main pool of dice, so you cant use it as its not there (it being placed over on a card) and once you bet the locking-card the dice is again freed to return to the little dice pool pile.

So thats how the actual game mechanic works :) Placing the little dice over the little icon squares makes it visually easier to follow.

In case you would have some questions in the future, the Elder Sign: Omens app also has it's own forum .