Balance in 4 player game and 2 player game and another questions about characters

By JDAlegre, in Middle-earth Quest

Hi everyone,

I really love Middle-Earth Quest. We play it so much with 4 players or with my girlfriend so I've tried the two ways of playing. I think when Sauron plays with two actions (two player game) its a bit unbalance for him. Perhaps Eleanor was the real problem with her high wisdom doing two different Hero Rally Step and cleaning everything that she want... However, when we play with 4 players, I've won every game with Sauron. The players realize that the elf character was a bit weak, and the best selection of characters is Dwarf, Eleanor and the ranger. What do you think about all this things? Its the game a bit unbalance about the actions that Sauron can use in each variant of the game or its about the characters... Perhaps the different missions are some of them better for 4 players and other for 2 players. Have anyone played with 3 players? Have fun!

Have you tried 2-player with 2 Heroes? One player Sauron, the other running 2 Heroes. We also do random Heroes, so no picking favourites.

All my 40 games have been 2-player, 20 have been 1-Hero (RAW), 20 have been 2-Hero.

Different heroes need different tactics - we also play either a 2-player games (with my wife) or 4-player. The first time we tried the 2player variant, Eleanor was the hero too - and she won easily. However, she lost almost all combats - she is not a strong fighter. So next time, I sent monsters and minions after her (Black Serpent is really useful for placing monsters wherever you wish) - her mobility was reduced (losing cards in fights), and she had a really hard time. Conversely - Thalin easily kills stuff, but his wisdom is only 1 - throw perilious locations his way and soon he'll have 6 or more corruption cards *evil cackle*

Hi again!

First of all, thanks for the responses :) I felt a bit frustrated when playing against Eleanor because I have only two actions, I have to do Sauron quest and try to kill her... But in the 2 player variant, Eleanor has two hero rally steps so she was really hard to beat. But you have reason about her, probably she is a bit weak. But when you only have two actions and you can only place a monster for each Monster Action... A bit difficult to make his life harder and do you own quest. The dwarf is easily to make his life harder hehe. But thinking about it, the two sauron actions in 2-3 player game could be a bit hard for him. However, this game is great an we really enjoy it when we play it :) (And the combat is really interesting because you have to think and it has more possibilities than throwing a dice :P )

Sorry about posting twice... And what about the elf? What do you think about that character?

I've played the elf twice, but never against him (as Sauron). Both times I lost... Argalad's scouting ability is really useful, especially in a 3-hero game (btw: if he scouts an 'empty' token next to him, do heroes still have to 'walk onto' it to discard it? hmm), his scores are nice (high agility gives him nice flexibility). I'd say he is the most 'average' of the characters.