Dark pursuits - Suvfaeras armor values

By KubiManiac, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Hello,

I have been reading the Dark Pursuits scenario and I have stumbled upon the armor + toughness bonus of the final boss in this scenario and I cannot imagine how the players are going to exceed 14 damage with lasguns or even bolt guns.

Do you have to be extremely lucky with this boss and get 10s or have I understood something wrong?

Thank you for all your answers

I've not run or even read the adventure, but don't forget the weapon's Pen, do they only have lasguns - and if so, why? It's not too hard to start the game with better weapons than just a lasgun (no criticism towards the majestic lasgun).

Edited by frid

Only using standard issue lasguns they will indeed have a hard time wounding Suvfaeras. Do you have any psykers in your group, remember that the TB from the Daemonic trait does not count towards damage reduction from psychic powers. Do you have a sniper with a longlas or something similar? The Accurate weapon trait provides a lot of extra damage. Another option (which has been mentioned before in a related thread) are krak grenades, which are relatively easy to acquire (or really anything else with high penetration).

My group used a combination of longlas, psychic powers, some Arbites chums AND a lot of luck (Suvfaeras had to roll on perils of the warp and a Plaguebearer [59-67 Dark Summoning] attacked Suvfaeras ...

Another conceivable way to go, would be to lure the daemon in some kind of Trap, but granted, this could only possibly work if the PCs have some knowledge of the deep tunnels of Port Gyre.

From what I started thinking also, I now know that in order to beat Suvfaeras, you need a mix of guns, psychic powers, grenades and any other type of damage you can.

I just wanted to know that I am not paranoid, believing that the acolytes could beat Suvfaeras with standard-issued lasguns.

Thank you very much for your answers!

I'm playing that adventure with my group and they will probably meet the deamonhost during the next session. I let the players start with 2000 xp but besides that, their equipment is what they get from char creation or during the adventure. So far they got one flamer, one bolt gun, a power sword, shock maul and a hot shot las gun which i granted the medic as a lucky find. I'm not completly certain but , as they have ripped up anything else so far, i think the deamonhost will be tough but beatable. If your guys have too weak equipment, the dealers warehouse could be a good spot to find shiny stuff. After all, all those named weapons aint that rare and are part of Warhammer lore. So let them use it ^^

Even lasguns could sometime overcome it, with luck.

At maximum power, they hit at 1D10+5 pen 2, wichi is a total of 17 against 14.

Not much, but doable, with right tactics and good rolls

My group managed to kill it with only a little difficulty using a combination of damage from the psyker, the sniper and some krak grenades I conveniently left on the body of one of the smugglers.

Don't underestimate your players, they can do more than you would think.

Indeed. Don't forget other tricks the players may have, too; a lot of player special abilities can add extra damage.

I'll admit a psyker has the easiest job by bypassing daemonic, but it's doable without one. Accurate weapons, armour piercing ammo, grenades, Righteous Fury, 'Full Power' lasgun shots, you name it.

Remember that with lasguns, a full power shot is 1D10+5, Pen 2, and if you hit you can swap your damage roll to the number of degrees of success on your attack roll if the latter is better.

Finally, remember that Suvfaeras isn't specifically the 'final boss' - You don't necessarily have to kill him to end the scenario. If you take down the heretics but the Daemonhost escapes...... then you're in trouble, and will probably be involved in hunting it down, but that's a separate mission. One where - if you've got any sense - you've pulled a few strings and have a platoon of involute cadre grenadiers or arbites with assault weapons at your back!