Staining Bases?

By Vineheart01, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Was about to post this in the main forum but figured it would be better here.

All i have are the basic clear bases, and im not buying the colored ones. Has anybody come up with a way to stain them a color so they still have the transparent look? Or am i forced to paint them and remove the transparent feature if i want them to stand out (mainly so when i run mirrors people dont go "ok whos who")

Have never tried it myself but you could try Future Floor Finish or equivalent

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Scroll halfway down and there's a section on colouring transparent stuff

Was about to post this in the main forum but figured it would be better here.

All i have are the basic clear bases, and im not buying the colored ones. Has anybody come up with a way to stain them a color so they still have the transparent look? Or am i forced to paint them and remove the transparent feature if i want them to stand out (mainly so when i run mirrors people dont go "ok whos who")

Tamiya as well as Vallejo and several other companies make transparent paints. Tamiya I know makes blue, green, red, orange and smoke clears. Not sure of the Vallejo offerings.

They work the same as other acrylic paints just make sure to wipe the bases down with alcohol or wash them in soap and water before painting. If you're not using an airbrush some flow improver and retarder will help. Finish off with a clear coat for protection.

Back in my 40k days I would drop all of my Eldar clear plastic grav tank canopies into the GW/Citadel Ink pots overnight and they'd come out stained that color - blue, red, green, "black"/tinted. Worked like a charm (so I didn't have to paint the cockpits ;) )

Not sure if that would work for bases as I'm not a plastics expert and don't know how GW canopies' plastic relates to FFGs X Wing bases' plastic.

And also GW/Citadel doesn't make those inks anymore. But I believe Liquitex (or one of the other "artist's paint" lines you can find in art stores) makes similar inks.

Could always try boiling them in rit dye.

Just don't let them warp.