Top player opinions

By tannerface, in UFS General Discussion

So in a recent thread someone mentioned "top 5 players of ufs", as I don't recall a thread about this I figured I would get the opinion of the community on who the top players are. Personally I base being a top player on consistency not nessisarily wins. So for me ppl who make more top cuts in major events are top players. I will only list two people in no paticular order-

adrieanne(sorry/spelling) batista

jacky chang(has been called jacky tang in disguise)

These guys always make top cuts in the tournies they play in. In fact jeremy ray has just accepted that batista is just a better player than him. Which I totally agree, that jeremy guy sucks gran_risa.gif

I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of facing Batista or Chang, but I have heard of their always top 8ing legends.

Personally, I think there are a lot of really good UFS players out there. Sadly, after only having played the game for one season, I don't feel I have the background to really say who the tops are.

I think J Ray is extremely consistent though, and should get himself on cardboard (alone) at an event this year... So, as much as Tanner jokes about him sucking, he doesn't happy.gif

- dut

I have never really liked the idea of "top players". Now I am not saying that the people that do good at events are not good. But that just means that those people can afford to go to these events. There are plenty of good players that just can't afford to go to big events that are potentially just as good if not better than the players refered to as "top players".

I know who isn't top 5 does that help?

Answer currently me!

You will get there Micah xD you show these veterans of the forums ^^

I'm a top player.

By that I mean that I play tops.

Meaning I'm often on the bottom.

Micah is in the Tulsa crew where unorthadox is king. Micah just needs some cards which I will be handing out on saturday. I am what I am. I have to transition from theorist and teacher to mud hole stomper. I got a bit to go to get there but I'm not willing to go to the "hungry like the wolf" mode others have. It will require me to keep some stuff in refinment a bit longer. But I see the Austin event as a good chance to do something if my situation allows me.

darklogos said:

But I see the Austin event as a good chance to do something if my situation allows me.

Don't tease me (no homo).

You ought to start looking for plane tickets, just to get an idea of airfare. You've got over 4 months to save up, and chances are that, when that time comes around, me n' the SA crew will have either procured a hotel, or we'll just return home to SA. It's only like, an hour to an hour and a half drive, so nothing big, but the point remains simply, you'll have a place to stay for free (although if we hit da club, you're paying your own way in).

I'm not much of a club person. Issue is that I'm moving next week and I'm looking to get into the job market in Kansas City so I may be occupied. I don't know at this point.

Well you better become a club person! Plus, it's Austin! If you're not at a club, you're at least at a concert!

So you're moving to Kansas City? 's a ways away. Not sure what job you're looking into, but it isn't absurd to think you couldn't request the weekend off, if even that much. It's all good, if you can that's cool if not that's cool too, but I'd like to think you're taking it into consideration, especially since, apparently, quite a bit of people from out-of-state are planning on making the journey down here, which is the most action Texas has seen UFS-wise in a long time.

If anything, I'm sure we have lots to discuss, plenty of roundtable discussions to be had at TGI Fridays (Dallas Regs players know what I mean :D ).

Last final for my masters of divinity was completed today. My graduation paperwork has been submitted. Going home so I can stay rent free with mom until I find a job. Then enter into life as they say. I plan to write a book or 9 lol. But until Zondervian wants to pay me or a magical rich wife comes around I'm going to have to get on my grind. I move next week.

I may only comment on what i've seen and heard:

James Hata (retired) is king. :)

Uhm, there are two local players who i think should be considered as top players. If not Top 5, then certainly Top 10 or 15. I guess i'm biased, and my nominations of these two players will only bear fruit should they ever decide to attend Nats and/or Worlds...

Smazzurco ...has been winning Regional and Store Championships like they're going out of style. Beat Archimedes' Hilde deck with Jon Herr in the final round at the Silicone Cup: Battle for the Bay Regionals.

VaporGecko ...was the very first player to introduce and win a Regional tournament with Promo Athena + MegaloFest + Experienced Combatant Combo. Certainly one of the first players to rock Good/Life Lu Chen and have wide-ranging success with that character (2nd place at Store Championship, lost to Smazzurco in the finals).

Adrian Baustista was definitely in the top 5. He held the record for "Most Appearances in Top Cuts," and probably still holds it even tho he dropped off the earth.

For those who don't know, Adrian quit when San quit. San quit because he spent tons of money on Addes Syndicate and stuff like that and then they all got banned. I think he sold his collection to Eddie, or maybe Eddie and San quit at the same time. I dunno, but the main New Jersey crew quit because of that.

Top players?

Jon Herr and JJ Watkins-Field were the best from 2007-2008. Jon Herr was taking everybody out in the US while JJ was ****** all of Europe. He won UK Nats, French Nats, and Sweedish Nats. Ppl were like "zomgz he gets 3 character cards!!!" but sadly only the UK one counted.

Sol Badguy said:

I have never really liked the idea of "top players". Now I am not saying that the people that do good at events are not good. But that just means that those people can afford to go to these events. There are plenty of good players that just can't afford to go to big events that are potentially just as good if not better than the players refered to as "top players".

See I never thought UFS had top players till darklogos said otakuv was one of the top 5 players of UFS. In my opinion there are no top players just consistent ones, because as you said, not everyone can go to the big events. Personally I can only go to about one major event a year, were as my team goes to like 5. The thing is even if you consider yourself a top player, you can still get beat by a pile of commons/uncommons and a newbie with some luck.