Managarmr's creative corner

By Managarmr, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

BIG thanks to FFG to bringing the Painting subforum up and running again!!

Going to post my stuff here (some has been posted earlier).

First out:

Unnamed Black Sun Ace:

kj8qM7m.jpg

Edit: typo.

Edited by Managarmr

So pretty!

I love those flowers, so cute :D

Another one:

JI6AJYB.jpg

Another Z95:

8bLla68.jpg

Work in progress.

A study of camo-patterns.

Not contend with how the Kihraxz turns out. Maybe it would be better to do dots?

Q0J5xwb.jpg

gHZB3qK.jpg

Thus still undecided how to continue with the G1A.

Maybe I just do some shades/highlights on the green, and do not any brown dots/stripes.

Any input on those?

I would try to get a more solid color on the green and then lay down the different shades of the camo. I really like that you left the underside of the Misthunter whitish. (I can't tell from the photo whether or not you did the same on the Kihraxz.

Here's a classic camo pattern you could maybe use for reference:

il_570xN.215934767.jpg

Yeah, you need a stronger colour for your camouflage which usualy means multiple layers, or thicker paint than you want to use. Do you have an airbrush? If so, using Silly Putty as a masking agent and the airbrush to apply the camo works nicely.

There's a shot of four F5s all camouflaged up in four different schemes used as Aggressors in the Top Gun program. Two of them are listed as "Desert" and "Lizard" patterns. The color combos maybe what your looking for.

I like the G-1A in the Navy scheme of grey over white.

Got this one from Airliners.net: (copyright the original photographer, etc)

General%20Dynamics%20F-16A%20Fighting%20

@ CheesyRobMan: I don't see anything besides buildings. What are you guys talking about?

:P

Edited by Force Majeure

I would try to get a more solid color on the green and then lay down the different shades of the camo. I really like that you left the underside of the Misthunter whitish. (I can't tell from the photo whether or not you did the same on the Kihraxz.

(...)

Yes, the G1A's white/grey underside was intentional. [edit] The Kihraxz, has it as well on the underside, but the "cheeks" sideways though as of yet lacking (as I was a bit afraid that I anyways might need to strip it again, if camo does not turn out well).[/edit]

Yeah, you need a stronger colour for your camouflage which usualy means multiple layers, or thicker paint than you want to use. Do you have an airbrush? If so, using Silly Putty as a masking agent and the airbrush to apply the camo works nicely.

The green is in reality a bit stronger than in the pics (overexposed under strong light), and unsparing macro [i might be a masochist :) ].

Thanks for the tips, you all!

Edited by Managarmr

That swordfish is adorable \o/.

Probably not tournament legal, as the bases are not laser-cut. But they are relatively close to the original size, totally OK for home use.

The Original Core sets asteroids in 3D (insulation foam for the rocks, acrylic plastics for stem and base).

tkQ6Wyh.jpg

tBHIT8o.jpg

Another quick and dirty project:

One of the neighbours throw his old coffetable out, conveniently a tiny bit larger than 3'x3'. I got it for free! Some work with cheap spraycans (black, white, red, gold), an old toothbrush and a layer of clear lacquer later:

HuoFNbq.jpg

That table looks great, especially for a quick & dirty DIY job. Good stuff.

Not the first, but among the first this time. My take on the Quadjumper.

Might add some more weathering. Maybe a marking (ID-Number) and laser tips.

p3PH31s.jpg

The factory paintjob on mine was -apart from the sidelines- very bland. And this thing is a brute, esp if standing next to e.g. Z95s!

Shown before (painted 1.5years ago, could do with some highlights)(and macro-photographing is merciless):

yNkzCK9.jpg

Scmf5Rg.jpg

Real life taking its toll. But got around to take brushes up again. One of the works in progress:

FAQO6lq.jpg

On 2/16/2017 at 0:32 AM, Managarmr said:

Probably not tournament legal, as the bases are not laser-cut. But they are relatively close to the original size, totally OK for home use.

The Original Core sets asteroids in 3D (insulation foam for the rocks, acrylic plastics for stem and base).

tkQ6Wyh.jpg

tBHIT8o.jpg

For tournies, you can put them on top of the cardboard tokens.

Vaksai preview!! Have to get speed up with my 5 Kihraxzes - as they were a bit meh, they historically moved back a notch in the queue. Talonbane's ride was almost completed earlier is just missing some finer details.

But here is my latest predatory one. A fine ride for Captain Jostero, or not?

yuftMWN.jpg

Kihraxzes in the queue:

l5iw7mXm.jpg

And another WIP (there was a TIE offer at one of the LGS):

epLkKOGl.jpg

Nice!!

Finally getting around to paint a bit again (and still behind on actually taking pics of finished things).

Genesis Red's ride:

XnbRirVl.jpg

qVTUZIJl.jpg

Pretty funny, but guess what I did last week, and what was spoiled yesterday....

Work in progress, not yet totally finished (amongst other things lines round cockpit). But the X-wing was last year on a sell-out for some 4bucks, so I thought "why not" and bought one to paint up as partisan.

Wave1 had rather bad production quality, plastic surface is rough in places, and I had to take off and align one of the cannons correctly (several of my X-wings both core and wave1 had this problem).

pTau0Nrm.jpg

iNXaSNMm.jpg

h3vLJ6rm.jpg

Wing patterns is different from FFG's, but cockpit section is similar :)

Now you'll have TWO Cavern Angels right off the bat!