One attack turn 4 kill deck

By darklogos, in UFS Deck Building

This is just in case the other thread gets over run with other issues.

Premises: What does a 1 attack deck need. First it needs to be able to get its attack through. Second it has to be able to build faster the their opponent. Third it needs enough control and disruption to stop quick damaging players. The last thing the deck needs is to somehow hides its intent. The deck is as much psychological as it is technical.

Symbols: What are the best symbols for this type of deck. In all honesty you are stuck with void and death. More so death then void. Earth is a possibility but the stall is more active and is easily undone. The control needs to be irreversible. This forces you to play effects that blow up cards if possible.

Characters: The more I think about it if one is planning on focusing on one kill and nothing else there are only 2 characters that stand out. That is Ragnar and Rashotep. Both characters have enough hp to take some hits while everything is being setup. Both characters can transition into the offensive phase really easily. The easiest one to use is Ragnar. While void King and Algol can be considered as well I think that they can be faster and more efficient not running this setup. Algol can make it so they can go through their deck fast. This allows them to get key pieces and when the final turn comes one could get everything needed in hand. King could just play all the setup in the world and wait for 1 throw to flip and 1 throw to be in hand and end it. For the deck sake I’m sticking with Ragnar.

Foundations: These are the foundations I would use.

56 CARDS:
Cursed blood x4
Dead for One Thousand Years x4
Lives for Battle x4
Distracting Tauntx4
Heir to the storm x4
All life is prey x 4
G-corp leader x4
Valued but Not Trusted x4
Dead for One Thousand Years x4
Ka Technique x4
Might Makes Right x3
War Between Sisters x3
Sa, Symbol of Protection x4
In Search of Plunder x3
i-pressence x3

Attacks: I believe the finisher is a throw. The reason I say that is to gurantee an attack would get passed another player at turn 4 is going to be hard. Most staging areas would have at least 10 foundations on the low end. Adding in cards for speed pumps is a bad idea and it weighs down the deck. Also strange fashion can be taken care off with valued but not trusted. Thus a throw would go off. There is nothing in the meta that can stop a throw from being a throw. Thus the attack is a throw.
The attack I will be picking is Sandstorm Throw. The reason I’m picking this attack is that it covers your but just in case there is another E that you need to negate. It has a base 4 damage and it is a 5 difficulity. With all the foundations in your deck you don’t have to check anything. Thus this makes this the most prime attack for you to play because it maximizes your checks. Getting the attack to an 8 damage to kick in Might makes right would not be hard.

How it plays in theory: You mulligan your first hand if you do not have a cursed blood or Value but not trusted in your hand. You need cursed blood more so then any other foundation. Try to drop 4 or 5 foundations. Remember you are going to keep checking 5’s. By the end of turn 2 you should have the following in play at least 1 cursed blood, 1 ka technique, 1 Valued but not trusted, and at least 1 G-corp. You are using cursed blood to fill your foundations faster. By turn 4 you should have had 2-3 cursed bloods in your staging area. Thing is Ragnar wants to cut himself. He does this to fuel heir with the storm. By turn 4 you should have enough fodder out to blow up that you should be able to do over 50 damage if played out right and using Ragnar’s effects.

Here is an optimized setup assuming that you have 20 foundations in play. These 20 are…
Cursed blood x3
Lives for battle x1
Valued but not trusted x2
G-corp x2
All life is prey x2
Might makes right x1
In search of plunder x2
Ka technique x2
Distracting taunt x2
Heir to the storm x3

Pop valued but not trusted to take out any pesky E that will hurt you. Commit G-corp. Loose 2 life. Pop valued but not trusted to take out any pesky E that will hurt you again. G-corp leader loose 2 vitality. Then use lives for battle. Next use Ragnar E. This gives you 3 damage. You loose 2 health. Commit one of the cursed bloods to pay for cost. Use in search for plunder loose 2 health and gain 2 damage. Pop might makes right. Play In search for punder again and loose 2 health and gain 2 damage. Use your cursed bloods to pay cost. Play Heir to the storm first e and blow up Distracting Taunt to get 3 damage. Do it again for another 3 damage. This destroys 2 cards. Use the last heir to the storm to get 2 damage for destroying a in search of plunder. Destroy each Heir to the storm each giving you 10 damage a piece so that’s 30 damage. So you destroy three more cards. Next you play your 2 all lifes are prey for 9 each so that’s 18 damage. Add up the other damage you gained is 15 damage. This totals out 53 damage. Divided by 2 rounded up it would do 27 damage. One more all life is prey would have made it gone off with no problem. But I thought having 3 out was pushing it. This can one shot almost any character in the game at turn 4 with this optimized setup. Devil Gene is not even needed in the deck at all.
Analysis: The biggest lynch pin to make this work is cursed blood. Sad to say it shouldn’t have been allowed in the block. It allows a person to build this deck up fast. Without the build the turn for kill is harder pressed. Not only that there is a higher risk that defensive options will not be in play as well. The next culprit is Valued but not trusted. It can shut down anything on the board. Might makes right is the E that the opponent has to stop or else there is no chance of getting the crazy damage down. With Ragnar’s 30 hp and using G-corp Valued but not trusted loop he will have plenty of Hp to finish the game even if he goes into desperation. He needs at least 15 health to be on the safe side. Sad thing is that the defensive options of Ka technique and Destracting taunt just stall the game until the setup is done. They don’t break the deck they just slow everything down. Draw cards would only make the deck go faster and be able to block more on defensive turns. Death must not get draw. Sandstorm throw adds insult to injury on game 2 because if their was some card that caused the deck problems you could just name that card and shut it down. Yes Crushing Embrace of the Jotun, Body Slam, and One-Handed Crocodile Grasp do more base damage. It also takes longer for might makes right to kick in making it more risky for the opponent to do something like a Sa symbol of protection.

Feel free to copy and tweak how you like. If you find weakness in the format feel free to post and comment.

Just a side note. Most decks can't proffiecient sniper until turn 3 or 4. At that point if the kill card is in hand then the game is over.

darklogos said:

Just a side note. Most decks can't proffiecient sniper until turn 3 or 4. At that point if the kill card is in hand then the game is over.

Most decks can proficient sniper turn 2. Especially once your one trick pony is known.

Also, what would you do against Nina? Even in sideboard nina is ouch if you don't get your attack in your opening hand.

This is the starting point I wanted to deal with. These are things that need to be patched or would be patched by a 1 attack deck. King does well because he can just get it out of his ditch. In all honesty Shaneth was right when it came to a 5 total attack deck. That way even if they proficent sniper they can't get all your attacks. Death has no draw which in this case is a good thing because it kills the concept.

The big issues that hurt the deck is RFG and acro. But you can call Acro as an enhanced that can not be played with Sandstorm throw.

Possible solutions to proficient sniper.

Purple Army suit is a card that allows you to name a problem card and get rid of it. At this stage if you know its comming its something you can sideboard.

There are other symbol foundations that retrieve attacks but they are weapon attacks. Non-throws forces you to speed pump. So there has to be a way to get the throw.

The titles wrong its a 4 attack deck not 1 attack.

How do you deal with cards like Scroll of the Abyss and Power of the edge? You may have some problems against another death deck

@Netherdragon

Yo. Its called 1 attack deck because it has a playset of 1 attack in the whole deck. I talked to Ricky and Micah about the deck premise. I think its bull though.

@token

Power of the edge is the only threat. Scroll can be blanked with Valued but not Trusted. Power of the Edge is another thing because its a react and its the only thing that can get the jump on the attack since your opponent has to get the first R.

You can PotE their PotE lol.

THis setup can't because it has not momentum gain. That's the main reason I picked a singular attack instead of a multiple. Power of the edge has a 2 momentum cost so what in the deck would have to go so that momentum gain could be added and what cards would you use for momentum gain. The issue is the 4 attack player has to kill by turn 4 or there will be to many problems for them to deal with. That or force an early attack and use I-pressence to lower the amount of foundations in their opponents staging area and use cursed blood to rebuild.

yeah i was pretty much joking. Although off other symbols you could do things like ascending zephyr.

Even though you were joking you were right. Thing is that these are not hard numbers. Numbers can change. This is a starting point. If you feel that card would be a valid counter then let me know seriously. Thing is that everything in the deck can change. This is just theory right now. Ragnar was just the easiest character to abuse in the format with this. Now that doesn't a character like Nina doing the same thing. The only problem with Nina is that her ability doesn't turn into damage. But she has the search function to prohibit and slow down setup. She can not changer her kill condition to ice pick because there is no way for her to get more cards rfg without giving her opponent an edge.

Thing is slowing the setup makes building for turn 4 safer. It would also allow you to change the deck and put researching the past with no way to to draw the card back other then not checking.

Lets keep up the dialouge and feel free to post any drafts off of any symbols you think would work.

If people find out your oneshot tactic game 1, then in game 2 you sideboard in another throw and maybe some other type of control card. This way you could possibly get around proficient sniper :)

About power of the edge.. they need to have momentum.. during their attack discard it with her own agenda and Power of the edge becomes a dead card

Against Nina.. sideboard in so you have 2 playsets of throws? that way she might not be able to get rid of everything you have

for casual play sure, but i dont see this being top tier viable currently.

A good Nina player can discard one attack, then Test of Strength to cause you to check another. Against Nina if you don't get your kill attack in opening hand good luck.

With the release of more sets this deck will either become more viable or less viable, so we will just have to wait and see.

And I am not saying this deck has no merit, i do very much give credit for it. But, much like Yoshi, Kisheri, and to a lesser degree Nina herself, i don't see this deck winning any big championships. One bad matchup (and oh boy they do exist) and you are done

I want the deck to fail to a great extent. The thing is that the construct must be fashioned first. Thing is that IF it is tried everyone would know the signs. I'm not discounting void. I'm not discounting earth altogther at this current moment. But those decks have to be built. I will say that cross symbols appears to be the toughest build of them all but might actually work. I don't know how that will play out. I'm just throwing out starting ideas.

@Smazz: I like how you mention Nina's support and then say Kisheri isn't viable. You play a move, I suspect you're going to try to Knight Breaker combo me. I respond Cold and Indifferent, name Knight Breaker, see your hand. If you're holding a KB, it's gone. And if you're not holding anti-discard, I tap my deck and roll a 5, and you pitch another card. If you're a 6HSer, you're down to 3 cards in your hand. That's the kind of stuff champions are made of :]

Wafflecopter said:

@Smazz: I like how you mention Nina's support and then say Kisheri isn't viable. You play a move, I suspect you're going to try to Knight Breaker combo me. I respond Cold and Indifferent, name Knight Breaker, see your hand. If you're holding a KB, it's gone. And if you're not holding anti-discard, I tap my deck and roll a 5, and you pitch another card. If you're a 6HSer, you're down to 3 cards in your hand. That's the kind of stuff champions are made of :]

If i didnt have KB in my hand then im not down to 3. Also what if you check a 3, then i get to pitch a foundation and in effect get stun2 to my attack.

Time will see but i really think kisheri is too squishy for what she does. Going 2nd i have killed 7HSers T1 more than a few times while i was running omar.

And what if you don't have a cold and indifferent in hand? Nina has a free F that does amazing things (especially against a deck running no more than 4 attacks).

And against a one shot deck, cold and indifferent does nothing if i am going to kill you with the only attack 1 throw.

Smazzurco said:

Wafflecopter said:

If i didnt have KB in my hand then im not down to 3. Also what if you check a 3, then i get to pitch a foundation and in effect get stun2 to my attack.

Time will see but i really think kisheri is too squishy for what she does. Going 2nd i have killed 7HSers T1 more than a few times while i was running omar.

And what if you don't have a cold and indifferent in hand? Nina has a free F that does amazing things (especially against a deck running no more than 4 attacks).

And against a one shot deck, cold and indifferent does nothing if i am going to kill you with the only attack 1 throw.

Also this does nothing to a king deck that only relies on playing Throws from the discard because by the time you get to discard a card from there hand they have played all the key ones and at that point your probably helping them by letting them draw more next turn

Wafflecopter said:

Thanks for the pro tip.

Da_ghetto_gamer said:

Smazzurco said:

Also this does nothing to a king deck that only relies on playing Throws from the discard because by the time you get to discard a card from there hand they have played all the key ones and at that point your probably helping them by letting them draw more next turn

This is a POWERFUL source of card advantage. And because its on your opponent's turn, you can even walk into anti-discard actions as long as you know you'll survive; you'll get a Ready Phase to recover while your opponent is still depleted. Don't discount it because it isn't strongest against some vectors the same could be said of King; he has superiority mid/lategame when he can spill 4 foundations and Form+Path for 30dmg, but what happens when I hit For the Money T1 and zerg rush his face in? Or play a Mitsurugi-pumped Gut Drill reversal? etc