Who is Tibs?

By Tigspirit, in Doom

"Didn't you know? Tibs made some amendments to the existing miniatures and added lost souls and bruisers/hunters/whatever-they-are so they got the strengths that is similar to the PC version. He also made Episode 3 (Another 5 scenarios, 11 to 15, to continue where the expansion left off) with a Spider Mastermind. Somewhere in BGG if I can find them again." ~ Knuckles Eki

Hey there everybody! I read this comment in a much earlier post, and I've been trying like mad to find any reference to such scenarios existing in BGG. I guess my first question is...Who is Tibs? Is he one of the original game designers? And second, can anyone help me find the scenarios that he's created? I have yet to play my first game of Doom (purchased both it and it's expansion during the holiday sale and they just arrived today), but it would be nice to have as many scenarios as possible to convince my gaming group that we can get a ton of usage out this game.

Any help would be appreciated.

:-)

Tigspirit said:

I guess my first question is...Who is Tibs? Is he one of the original game designers?

Hasn't come up in discussions, but I'd say he's just a nuttier than usual fan gran_risa.gif .

Tigspirit said:

And second, can anyone help me find the scenarios that he's created?

www.boardgamegeek.com/files/boardgame/all

Hi! First off, Doom is an awesome game. Second, Dam's got it right: I'm a fan who also happens to modify board games as a hobby (my degree in Graphic Design helps enormously here).

Doom is actually the game that got me into the board game world. I had a gift certificate kicking around somewhere and I went out to buy HeroScape. Luckily, that was sold out, but there was another game at the store: Doom. I almost cried. I've loved Doom ever since I was a kid.

As fun as the game was, it needed a little bit of house-ruling. Eventually this led to more house-ruling. Then to custom scenarios. Then to custom pieces. I actually played the board game before the game it was based off of: Doom 3. I modded the monsters and weapons to be more true to the game.

My BoardgameGeek name is kungfro. I designed five scenarios to act as the third episode, following the 10 official scenarios (5 base game, 5 expansion) as the official scenarios don't end the story.

www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35353

I'm working slowly on Episode 4 which plans to end the story, and include some other surprises. Don't expect that anytime really really soon ;)

I also made a super level (requires the expansion):

www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/17761

Atfter Doom, I got into, and have subsequently made custom material in varying degrees for:

• Arkham Horror
  • Puerto Rico
  • Power Grid
  • Settlers of Catan
  • Carcassonne
  • Agricola

...all of which can be found on BGG. Though Doom remains my favorite modded game (painting those pieces took out a sizeable chunk of my life). Happy gaming!

Haven't taken a crack at Descent yet?

-shnar

Lets hope not. If anything, Tibs moving to Descent will spell Doom to Doom. And we don't want that.

Knuckles Eki said:

Lets hope not. If anything, Tibs moving to Descent will spell Doom to Doom. And we don't want that.

My friend nearly bought Descent. In fact, he asked if I would "screw around with it." Your game, man. I told him that if he ever needed an adventure with a modular board, we already have the tried-and-tested Doom. He conceded and saved his money. (Lies! He got Dominion and RoboRally. Dominion was tight rules-wise but unsatisfying. RoboRally we haven't yet tried but I hear it's fun if a game stays under an hour.)

Not that I don't want to play Descent. Especially considering the 5,000,000 expansions it has to offer, and its alleged fan-scenario page.

I've checked that page, and I'm considering converting some of them into Doom scenarios. I still find it hard to balance the invaders in each room and what items to put.