Gadge's Repaints. Mainly touch ups, a few new schemes!

By Gadge, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

First up, scum Z95 special characters. I've avoided 'griming' these as they look quite good 'clean', which is ironic for 'scum'

z951_zpsfbwsqhep.jpg

Z953_zpsdhmjnemv.jpg

next up an A wing flight, all i've done here is repaint some panels so i dont have four ships with exactly the same repairs!

awing2_zpsvjn7tyrn.jpg

Tansaari Point veterans flight led by serissu. These were foundry paints 'arctic grey' with either wine stain red for serissue or 'orange' for the veterans as second colour. I really hate the M3a stock colour scheme and i've actually gamed a lot with these since repainting them!

photo%201-2%202_zps5rjvnn7f.jpg

And a cloaking Phantom. Not my best work, done quickly as a test tbh but it was good enough to stand.

pahntom2_zpsb4e85ddd.jpg

phanotm1_zps78537660.jpg

cloakedphantom_zpsbf88b616.jpg

Some more to follow later

Scum/Pirate/Black Sun Corvette

corv1_zpsa5cf1d03.jpg

corv6_zps22a9d25d.jpg

Some 'touched up' Ywings. I personally felt the FFG scheme/factory paint made them look a bit flat and washed out so i repainted the cockpit and nacelle ends with a more striking light grey/dark yellow scheme and painted the roof lasers black. I think it makes them look a bit chunkier.

ywimgs_zps6688c0d4.jpg

Rebel HWK. I painted this as the support ship for my factory stock Z95s so tried to match the colours. I also moved the laser to the top as i just wanted it to look different from the 'mouldy crow'

IMG_36251_zps5d9d1bc7.jpg

IMG_3615_zps68d08203.jpg

IMG_3614_zps25fbbbb3.jpg

IMG_3613_zps78c5a8e2.jpg

I've since painted the z95 it supports to have the same deep yellow 'beak' on the end :)

Kath Scarlet's Firespray repainted for my wife who used to fly her ship a lot. I personally think most people paint the grey too light and almost white but in the card art and other colour images it looks deeper and i think its correct here. White and red makes it look too rebel and this scheme makes it fit in better with scum or imperials.

DSCF5922_zps15525ff5.jpg

DSCF5920_zps423ff74c.jpg

DSCF5925_zpsfc6e1452.jpg

The engine glow on my boba fett firespray and my shuttle

engines_zpse4702137.jpg

And lastly for now a very light touch up to a rebel transport to make it a bit less boring and unify its colour with my other rebels.

DSCF5865_zpsad535f6e.jpg

BOO%2BTOPIC%2BGOOD%2B.png

Gadge, you really do some nice work!

Edited for spelling, again.

Edited by Stoneface

As a prospective painter, I have questions:

(1) How did you create the engine glow effect?

(2) How do you keep the nice gloss/reflective finish on ships' canopies?

(3) What reference images did you use for N'dru and Kath? More generally, how many reference images do you look for before you start painting something in a particular color scheme?

where's your spiderman-xwing? :D

Just kidding!

Your cloaking phantom looks awesome! All your ships look good, but that one's my fave.

I'm with you on Kath's colour scheme, that matches the grey of the Binayre pirates, as it should!

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words.

To answer the questions.

1. The engine after glow is one of two methods. On the blue ones i tend to paint the socket of the engine sky blue and then add the white while its still wet so it blends in. With the orange ones i paint them very light yellow and then add orange ink.

2. I mask canopies with blu tak when i can, if i have to go over them i paint them foundry black then gloss varnish it.

3. I try and use card art for my reference. I'll also google image search. I normally want at least two images to go off.