High Level Player Characters/ Portet player characters

By Kalthos, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hello everyone

i got some questions to you, how you handle some situations in your Groups

at first we startet way back in first edition, the main part of the player characters was at level 7, wich is relativly high, than we startet Second adition and Simply Portet them into the different rules,wich ment they become much more powerfull, but only two charakters of them are my problem, if they hit, they kill Space Marines, the first uses a Astartes Flametrower (he got a special rule to do so) and the other one is a Techpriest wit the two handet version of this power Axe, my question is, how do you handle "overpowerd" characters, i never will trow this charackters out of the party, because in Roleplaying the best part is in my opionion evolve your charackter, how can i fix this problem, take away the axe is a bad idear because it is the symbol of the adeptus mechanicus

what is the most powerfull charackter you ever had in your groups? you read about my Flametrower priest and axe murder techpriest, but my own charackter has now a really high Fellowship 60 or so, in a game with a d100 it seams relly high, but as long i am the GM my players preffer to fight their way trugh the adventure anyway, what is your experiance how the players work? i desperatly try to focus the storry the setting the adventure but a undercover mission once turnt into a dungeon crawler because the enemys only had AP0 weapons

besides this, Dark herasy is my Faforite Game System, i tryed my best to write correctly im sorry if my english isnĀ“t the best i try to improve it beyond the shool standart we have here..

I would suggest looking at some of threads that have talked about conversion from DH1 to DH2. A straight conversion isn't all that good, because it tends to make the characters very powerful and over-powered. The best path is to try and rebuild the characters with attempting to stay true to the spirit of the characters.

Here is a thread in the forums with suggestions on how to convert characters. In my post, I have additional links to more conversation on converting from DH1 to DH2.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/188284-character-conversions-between-dark-heresy-2nd-rogue-trader-etc/

~ alemander

My player characters aren't anywhere near what yours are, but my best guess is to pick up Enemies Beyond and insert them into a full blown daemonic incursion. Have a blood thirster or two gun after the ones with the most fate points.

Speaking of fate points, they're no longer handed out like candy compared to DH1 (relatively speaking). The rulebook even implies that it shouldn't be done (without banning it). How many do your guys have? I've found that 3 per player is a good max to have. Anymore and my players usually are able to reroll all of their really bad roles in a given session which can make challenging them a bit hard.

Edit: also, what Alemander said :D

Edited by Gregor Eisenhorn

-misread op

Edited by Utherix

You got to be tough on the punishment when they fail to keep their cover. Where is the fun if there is no risk?

the first uses a Astartes Flametrower (he got a special rule to do so) and the other one is a Techpriest wit the two handet version of this power Axe, my question is, how do you handle "overpowerd" characters,

If it were my game, I'd make it clear to the PC's that walking around with that kind of killing power is basically announcing to the entire planet that you're intending to make trouble for someone. Enemies would start hiding evidence and setting up ambushes pretty much from the moment the PC's stepped off of their ship (and not just the enemies that the PC's came to investigate; everyone who was up to no good would be on high alert and, to some degree, gunning for the PC's).

the first uses a Astartes Flametrower (he got a special rule to do so) and the other one is a Techpriest wit the two handet version of this power Axe, my question is, how do you handle "overpowerd" characters,

If it were my game, I'd make it clear to the PC's that walking around with that kind of killing power is basically announcing to the entire planet that you're intending to make trouble for someone. Enemies would start hiding evidence and setting up ambushes pretty much from the moment the PC's stepped off of their ship (and not just the enemies that the PC's came to investigate; everyone who was up to no good would be on high alert and, to some degree, gunning for the PC's).

This is a very good point. Use the subtlety rules to full effect.

The advice I tend to give is to adapt and overcome. The strange thing with 2nd ed is just how often character end up being insanely OP. It's just part of the system, nerfing usually just leads to annoyed players. The best option is to be very tactical with your NPCs. As previous players mentioned exploit the subtlety system to make the enemies tailor the encounter against your players weaknesses. If the enemy knows they are going to fail mid-short range combat against the power axe and the dude with the flamer, thrn they ought to try to ambush with the right tools for the job. Depending on the threat it might mean they show up with skulkers with sniper rifles, it could mean a few guys with heavy weapons firing out the side of an arvus lighter, or it might even mean planting explosives as traps to stop the players.

Mind you, if they ace their subtlety then let them slaughter the unprepared enemy. That's their reward for playing smart.

Even if they got the killing power of one shotting space marine, Space Marine should have to upper hand when they attack, they are tactical troops.

Make them attack your players while they are occupied with other enemies, or make them attack by surprise. Yeah, that power weapon can be very deadly, but it's not as much efficient when its user is already riddled with astartes bolter impacts.

Make your NPC play smart, that's always the best option. I continue to challenge/make fate burn my players with basic thugs simply with playing them intelligently. In the end, my players are 13 000xp and are quite capable of slaughtering their way somewhere, but they still are in danger all along and most of my players have burnt a lot of fate points against regular ennemies.