Harder or Easier with more/less players?

By alexbobspoons, in Elder Sign

Quite interested in peoples opinions here.

Essentially, no matter how many players there are, the number of turns taken stays the same advancing the clock the same thus same midnight occurrences. However, one player has a finite amount of health/sanity whereas say 4 players have a much greater pool of sanity/health...

But..

As being devoured simply gets the solo player a brand new character (and a doom) does that mean that your health is kind-of limitless anyway due to the large number of characters..? Albeit at the expense of doom.. So does this balance out?

But then also, a solo player doesnt get the opportunity to use the assistance mechanic.. which I imagine to be quite helpful at times.

So does the devoured=+1doom and lack of assistance mechanic mean the game is slightly harder for a solo adventurer than it is for a team?

Then again.. a solo adventurer will tend to gain a larger single bank of trophy currency rather than smaller individual banks, to be able to spend on higher value items such as Elder Signs, so theres a solo advantage too.

I think it seems close enough to be pretty well balanced but Id appreciate other peoples thoughts out of pure interest :)

I'd say 1-investigator games are the easiest, though I've only played with one and two. I think an overlooked aspect of playing with one is that everything pools up on that character. Trophies, items, everything. Having four investigators makes it far harder to meet the requirements for avoiding conditional Mythos cards (since everyone needs to have X), whereas lone investigator probably has way more items than he can possibly use over the course of the game. Shopping is also way faster to achieve as a single investigator. Plus, if you have one great investigator and three average (based on abilities), you're only getting to use the great investigator once per day, while if you only have one great investigator (say Kate Winthrop), you can benefit from her ability four times a day is the situation occurs. Of course, getting one bad or mediocre investigator means you're not getting a whole lot of benefits, but then, getting rid of a lone investigator is also easier than swapping out three via devouring. Not sure I've ever even used assist, even in two investigator games.

Edited by Dam

Alex,

the game changes a lot according to the number of investigators. For no reason I'd go over 4 investigators (too chaotic to follow, and investigators won't be granted to have on average 1 turn / day); then... if you play ES or UF, 1 investigator is the easiest way to go, all the good items stockpile on the same dude, and he can become something really impressive. Jenny solo should be prohibited by the Geneva convention.

When you start adding the rest (that I imagine lies sleeved at your place), i.e. when you play Gates or Omens, you have a lot more effects that allow Investingator A to interact with Investigator B (from trading items to buy items for the others to a ton more), so that 4 investigators is the optimal number to play. Can't say if it's easier or harder, but the game experience becomes really really good

Alex,

the game changes a lot according to the number of investigators. For no reason I'd go over 4 investigators (too chaotic to follow, and investigators won't be granted to have on average 1 turn / day); then... if you play ES or UF, 1 investigator is the easiest way to go, all the good items stockpile on the same dude, and he can become something really impressive. Jenny solo should be prohibited by the Geneva convention.

When you start adding the rest (that I imagine lies sleeved at your place), i.e. when you play Gates or Omens, you have a lot more effects that allow Investingator A to interact with Investigator B (from trading items to buy items for the others to a ton more), so that 4 investigators is the optimal number to play. Can't say if it's easier or harder, but the game experience becomes really really good

Hi Julia :)

Firstly, haha my random draw for my second game DOES have Jenny as my investigator and wow sooooo many extra red and yellow dice!! She is currently 7 out of 10 elder signs against Yig with zero doom tokens on the track.

Secondly.... Ha! you think you know me but NOOOO those expansions do not sit here sleeved at my place...........erm.........they sit here un-sleeved because the online store only had so many packs of tarot-size in stock!!.... hmm.... erm.... Ooops I dont think I won that exchange :)

Thanks for the advice :)

EDIT: Jenny is a beast!! She walked Yig and won 10 Elder Signs with Zero doom wow!! Yesterdays first game was a loss against Azathoth whereby I hit full doom with only one Elder Sign left to obtain and it was a real battle with my first investigator being devoured and my second battling onwards. Jenny just walked all over Yig by having those extra yellow and red dice each turn. I just had to make sure I always won clues and such to keep her fuelled for being able to get the extra dice. She was a bit too easy I see what you mean about outlawing her in solo :) an excellent game though!!

Edited by alexbobspoons

:D So, I wasn't wrong, it's just a world conspiracy for you not to have enough sleeves right now, lol. I often joke about this with Andrea, he says we should get directly some oil and produce them on our own to cut the costs...

:D So, I wasn't wrong, it's just a world conspiracy for you not to have enough sleeves right now, lol. I often joke about this with Andrea, he says we should get directly some oil and produce them on our own to cut the costs...

But would they match the ones you have?? I now have a bizzarre variety of sleeves to suit different games and sizes its a bit OTT :) With standard sleeves, penny sleeves, mini-usa, chimera (for D&D) and tarot size the stock is varied, not to mention A4 binder pages. Most of my sleeves now are Mayday but my first big purchase of warhammer invasion came with a couple of thousand UtraPo sleeves which ended up donated to my LotR collection. So for consistency I am buying both UltraPro and Mayday, now with also FFG tarot size added too. Andrea's idea is great, get him to go ahead with it and do me a deal for some hehe :)

Now let me go check online stock for a bunch of FFG tarot to see if they have got new stock yet hehe

Alex

Personally, I find the app to be easier then the physical game, usually. Cthuhlu and the frozen tundra one are nasty difficult in the app since. Cthuhlu especially since you MUST fight him, and the tasks to defeat him are rather difficult. And god forbid you make the attempt before finding all the relics, thus being unable to use clues or the red and yellow dice.

The physical game though, it just gets brutal sometimes. I just finished a single player game against Shub-Niggurath. Ouch, it was nasty. Almost every Mythos card was an "add to doom track" effect. The adventures tended to be stuff that requires 5 dice worth of Investigation, or 4 dice worth of Terror and Panics. Plus every monster that spawned tended to need 7 Investigation (and 1 terror), plus either losing stamina, sanity, both, advancing the clock, or all of the above. Plus the penalty for failing the adventure. My first investigator got devoured. And then a mythos card added the final doom counter right after the newest adventure locked a green die.

Didn't help that my first adventurer was Joe Diamond (who's decent), then "Ashcan" Pete, who's kinda Meh in my opinion.