FFG HAS BEEN COOL... NOW DON'T SCREW IT UP AGAIN!

By Joe Boss Red Seven, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Okay most regulars here know that many of us LOVE the games and are crazy enough to cut and glue and paint our models to make them cool in another way.

Fantasy Flight Games appreciates this. BUT... there is a line that was crossed last year. I and others are certain that is why FFG felt they needed to remove the Custom Forums.

I am asking the veterans to gently police these forums so we can have a great experience from now on without pushing issues of Intellectual Property and force our FFG Star Brothers & Sisters to pull the plug to cover their arrangements with Dat MOUSE and so forth.

Kay? KAY!

:)

Now if we can only keep it.

yea.. though no ones knows or has been told what got it taken down last time. whoever was doing it.. knock that sh#t off.

Someone mentioned in another thread about 3D printed models and other stuff that may have crossed the line between acceptable and not-so-much.

It was turned into a sales page... that can't happen again.

;)

If it gets silly again I and others (I'm sure) will report these BUY MY STUFF post to get them off the forum. We all know where to go and who the best sculptors are.

:P

Fantasy Flight Games you are awesomeness!!!

FFG%2BCMF.PNG

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

For some reason I expected to be a threat directed towards FFG.

Glad it wasn't, good post.

;)

Needs a good post, good topic thingy..

Probably should have a similar post up in Armada P&M.

Needs a good post, good topic thingy..

^_^ For YOU.

BOO%2BTOPIC%2BGOOD%2BPOST.png

We all know it is a good topic.

;)

Hmmm, perhaps we ought to lay down some guidelines here and now and sticky this thread so we all know what's up?

Here is one! (Or two..)

1: No self promoting. If you have a thread on here, we'll just assume that you are a commission painter and we'll PM you if we want your service.

2: Beware the IP! Art is for sharing, but we can't go name-dropping things to get views. Keep your thread titles generic and we ought to be okay.

Anyone else? How about some official guidance from some FFG staff?

Nice to see we've got the custom paints and conversion forum back again. Thanks FFG!

8]

Right

Help me to help you

There is a plastic model kit I've a mind to buy and use in games of X-Wing as a Space Station. Would naming the Space Station and the company cause problems? Or is the fact it is obviously not Star Wars and not FFG related be fine.

You'd see it in battle reports anyway so it's not as if you'd be missing out.

Edited by Tyres Kem

I want to post a BIG Thank you to Fantasy Flight for giving us such a great platform to post our work. I love to get feedback on my work.

Right

Help me to help you

There is a plastic model kit I've a mind to buy and use in games of X-Wing as a Space Station. Would naming the Space Station and the company cause problems? Or is the fact it is obviously not Star Wars and not FFG related be fine.

Yeah Brah that IS fine. The thing is if you (or I, ect...) made a model of the Space Station on the card in the AMARDA Box... and we had the nerve to sell it and post about it here.

DAT is the NOooo!

:angry:

Making a model for your own use is completely fine... of course.

;)

Hmmm, perhaps we ought to lay down some guidelines here and now and sticky this thread so we all know what's up?

Here is one! (Or two..)

1: No self promoting. If you have a thread on here, we'll just assume that you are a commission painter and we'll PM you if we want your service.

2: Beware the IP! Art is for sharing, but we can't go name-dropping things to get views. Keep your thread titles generic and we ought to be okay.

However, after talking briefly with an attorney friend, here are my conservative guesses:

(1) Do not use this forum to sell anything or advertise services.

(2) Do not use this forum to show off non-FFG stuff, especially stuff that may not be officially licensed. Scratch builds are probably okay, especially scratch builds clearly intended for use as terrain or homebrew ships for X-wing. But otherwise if it looks like Star Wars and you didn't buy it from FFG, don't put it up here.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

Right

Help me to help you

Yeah Brah that IS fine. The thing is if you (or I, ect...) made a model of the Space Station on the card in the AMARDA Box... and we had the nerve to sell it and post about it here.

DAT is the NOooo!

;)

That's what I thought but always good to check. In that case.....

Thunderbirds are go!

(Thunderbird 5 to be precise)

Here is one! (Or two..)

I AM NOT AT ALL OFFICIAL.

However, after talking briefly with an attorney friend, here are my conservative guesses:

(1) Do not use this forum to sell anything or advertise services.

(2) Do not use this forum to show off non-FFG stuff, especially stuff that may not be officially licensed. Scratch builds are probably okay, especially scratch builds clearly intended for use as terrain or homebrew ships for X-wing. But otherwise if it looks like Star Wars and you didn't buy it from FFG, don't put it up here.

YUP!

;)

Right

Help me to help you

DAT is the NOooo!

;)

That's what I thought but always good to check. In that case.....

Thunderbirds are go!

(Thunderbird 5 to be precise)

Cool!

60SA.gif

Thank you, FFG! Very cool of the company to listen.

Fixed up the logo a bit so it looks good on light backgrounds too. Kinda felt right to make it a little better being STAR WARS day and such...

FFG%2BCMF%2BB6-R7.png

AST%2BDANTOO%2BPS.PNG ARM%252520EMP%252520ISD.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

REB%2BLASERS.png

ARM%2BREB%2BCOR.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

Fixed up the logo a bit so it looks good on light backgrounds too. Kinda felt right to make it a little better being STAR WARS day and such...

FFG%2BCMF%2BB6-R7.png

AST%2BDANTOO%2BPS.PNG ARM%2520EMP%2520ISD.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

REB%2BLASERS.png

ARM%2BREB%2BCOR.png

IMP%2BLASERS.png

You do such nice work!

I would suggest that we also try and steer posters away from 'co mingling' IP that FFG/Disney dont own onto FFG ships.

I've worked in miniature gaming (for GW) before and it can be a big issue.

So I think while doing a 'wwi lozenge pattern xwing' is cool, doing a marvel comics paint scheme could be less so as marvel own the rights to 'iron man' or whatever and can be protective about their IP being mixed in with other peoples.

For example, when we had the 'lord of the rings' licence at GW we were expressly forbidden from mixing '40k' or 'warhammer' imagery or even mini parts with anything lotr... it had to be kept away from the IP and not 'co mingled'.

Just my thoughts.

I would suggest that we also try and steer posters away from 'co mingling' IP that FFG/Disney dont own onto FFG ships.

I've worked in miniature gaming (for GW) before and it can be a big issue.

So I think while doing a 'wwi lozenge pattern xwing' is cool, doing a marvel comics paint scheme could be less so as marvel own the rights to 'iron man' or whatever and can be protective about their IP being mixed in with other peoples.

For example, when we had the 'lord of the rings' licence at GW we were expressly forbidden from mixing '40k' or 'warhammer' imagery or even mini parts with anything lotr... it had to be kept away from the IP and not 'co mingled'.

Just my thoughts.

That makes sense really. (especially the LOTR/Warhammer parts bit) but I'm not sure you can copyright the colorscheme of a character?

I mean: suppose I paint my Y-wing in green and purple.

And a rep of the mouse sees that and goes: "Oi! We own the rights to the Hulk! You can't use those colors!"

And I go: "Hulk? No no no: purple and green means "Devastator", from transformers!"

And then Hasbro might get involved... ;)

No but you can try and avoid saying 'here look is my spiderman tie fighter' and then putting up a picture of spider man next to it.

Or using clearly copywritable images like say the decepticon logo from transformers or the cobra logo from Gi joe on a ship.

Just dont flaunt it i guess.

Essentially the star wars IP is rich and vast. I'm sure FFG paid a lot of money for it, lets all explore that IP before plundering anyone elses :)

Edited by Gadge

here here!

(Great now I keep wondering if Disney would be upset if you combined two IPs that they own, like marvel and star wars. My guess is spiderman x-wing would be ok, but batman tie-fighter would not. ;) )

Edited by Robin Graves

TBH it depends on the license.

If there contract with Marvel says 'no co mingling' then they couldnt.

I think keeping IP distinct is a fairly standard licencse clause, its why i brought it up. Its not the sort of thing companies like to broadcast that they are shackled by but its very likely.

here here!

(Great now I keep wondering if Disney would be upset if you combined two IPs that they own, like marvel and star wars. My guess is spiderman x-wing would be ok, but batman tie-fighter would not. ;) )

Now you are on board... welcome!

:lol:

TBH it depends on the license.

If there contract with Marvel says 'no co mingling' then they couldnt.

I think keeping IP distinct is a fairly standard licencse clause, its why i brought it up. Its not the sort of thing companies like to broadcast that they are shackled by but its very likely.

The REAL thing we need to do is knock back people coming on here and aggressively linking to and otherwise frequently promoting Shapeways and or other source models that FFG has not produced. DAT is what got us killed last time.

If I post a picture of my HUTTs and there are Shapeways & Micro Machines in there with custom builds and all of the FFG Models... that is cool If I started linking to where to get the Shapeways models... that ain't cool.

Micro Machines are totally cool because Dat MOUSE is the one making them now.

NO MORE GHADDAM SPACE ROCKS (or anything else like that) and BUY MY STUFF AT SHAPEWAYS Crap-postings here ... and we will be just fine my Star Brothers!

;)

Yeah i agree using the repaints section as a platform to sell or promote a 3rd party range of models is very uncool.

Its like if you were on the porsche forums you wouldnt start putting up links for people to buy knock off porsche products but you *might* suggest after market parts that they didnt make to make their product better.

So in the same way i think that recommending suppliers of modelling materiels and paints etc is fine... linking to clear resin phantoms probably isnt. even if they look cool.

i think we're on the same page here though Joe