Ben's Armada Repaint's - Star Destroyer Heavy!

By BMcDonald7, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

I have mainly focused on repainting my Imperial Fleet as that is mainly what I use in tournaments and I actually find many of the rebel paint jobs quite okay as is. I was inspired by seeing Vykes great work with the Imperial murder pizza wedges so a lot of my work was me trying to come up with ships have as decent as his great work.

My first attempts were with my Gladiators trying to get color schemes inspired by the title cards Instigator and Demolisher.

IMG_5249_zpsgrkawgiy.jpg

IMG_5254_zpsbqjevxsl.jpg IMG_5265_zpsy7spv4go.jpg

Overall I liked how Demo turned out more with the orange/grey hull. I was still pretty new on the windows but later went over them with a little glaze and they look much better now.

Up next were my Raiders. Nothing too special other than trying to have 1 that was more purple/grey to make it look like the Instigator title card.

IMG_5307_zpscjec1qmg.jpg

IMG_5308_zpsmgzlep2j.jpg

The Gladiators and Raiders were really just warm ups for the mighty Imperial Star Destroyer. I liked the FFG paint job but I didn't like the weird darker grey panels. They were far too large and didn't match the movie ISD's so I wanted to make a more movie realistic ISD. My first idea was to make one with a grey/white/orange hue and call her Devastator but I found it difficulty to get the right shade of orange without making it just look dirty. I started this one with a white over the ship then added a light grey mixed with a little orange. After that it was a very thing orange over that with then a very thin white. Overall it came out looking more white than what I was anticipating but I like the look. I didn't want panel contrast on this one so I tried to make them blend in. On my first attempt at windows for an ISD I found it hard to make them standout against the light grey/white hull. Later I went back and added a little sigil which is a reapers scythe so she can go as the ISD Reaper or ISD Scythe.

IMG_5407_zpszvruzsem.jpg

IMG_5406_zpskh55q8oq.jpg IMG_5473_zps7hgdowhv.jpg

I'm going to keep my ISD's in this post.

I won a Store Championship where the grand prize included a custom painted ISD from Imperial Outpost with their store logo on the front. I liked the different all black look but wanted to make some modifications to it, mainly adding some highlights, darken the silver panels to more of a dark grey, and add in some cool red/white windows to really make them pop out compared to the black hull. The engines already looked great thanks to the airbrush work by the store so no changes needed there.

Before

IMG_5458_zpspbs54xrf.jpg

After

IMG_5465_zpsuw3hb1r9.jpg IMG_5469_zpsiqokxjoz.jpg IMG_5471_zpsrnqioig0.jpg Those engines make me want to go buy an airbrush!

My 3rd and favorite SD so far, Avenger.

My inspiration came from the Avenger title card and how the light makes the ISD have a little of a green color hue. I added a little green and blue to some grey and covered the ISD with a couple of layers. I then added a little more green to the grey and added some edge highlights as I wanted a little more panel contrast on this one. I did just a little shading on the raised edges like before and overall I like how the panels and the color turned out. I did a better job on the blue/white windows this time and they look less pastel compared to my first ISD. The engines turned out better than I thought they would without an airbrush. I somehow wet blended the blue and white and I think it looks pretty good. I still need to finish the hanger lighting but that can wait till later.

IMG_5707_zpsptb7tvos.jpg IMG_5709_zpsuuoxbkaj.jpg

IMG_5703_zpsozqzdgcv.jpg IMG_5711_zpsyegrnr2h.jpg IMG_5713_zpspndxlohd.jpg

Edited by BMcDonald7

Figured I should post some pictures of the murder wedges in action. Needless to say all rebels and traitorous Imperials were dispatched with extreme prejudice this Store Championship giving the Empire the victory.

IMG_5429_zpswavplhjh.jpg IMG_5433_zpsyyuxumsv.jpg

IMG_5435_zpsgj536ddf.jpg

To the victor goes the spoils! The fleet sailed away with the custom painted Imperial Outpost branded black ISD.

IMG_5454_zpsndstrbsp.jpg

Edited by BMcDonald7

Very nice! I have been wanting to white-out an ISD but I keep chickening out because I am unsure of whether I could return the level of detail to it after the fact. I like what you did though, as well as the description on how you did it.

Very nice! I have been wanting to white-out an ISD but I keep chickening out because I am unsure of whether I could return the level of detail to it after the fact. I like what you did though, as well as the description on how you did it.

Thanks! I would say just mix a good white with a light grey. You don' want it to be too white as it will look very white compared to other ISD's in the light even though you have a good amount of grey in there. The key to keep the detail is to make sure you think out your paint and several thin layers. Use Nuln Oil in some spots to help pop out different levels but don't put it in the panel cracks if you want it to look more uniform.

What color blue on the lights for Isd?

What color blue on the lights for Isd?

Just any light blue. I used Citdel's light blue (not sure of the name). I also used their blue glaze.Typically its a light drybrush of a light blue around the areas I want lights, then a white/light blue dot for the window. Then I use the blue glaze over the area with the window to get a little glow. Then finally it's another pure white dot in the previous white/blue window to make it pop a little more. It takes a lot of time and a steady hand.

Updated Post #2 with the Black ISD Blood Saber

Edited by BMcDonald7

Updated Post #2 to show the ISD Avenger.

All 3 of my ISD's in action.

IMG_5667_zpsqdzyfm37.jpg

I've finished painting my first VSD. I'm really happy with the way she turned out although I may retouch some of the window lights later. I did a base coat of GW grey and then did a wash of nuln oil. I went over it again applying some of the base grey to parts to create some contract and finished it up with a thinner wash of nuln oil. I then added the lights with some light blue drybrushing, blue glaze, and then some white. I also updated the engines to look more like Avenger for all of my other Imperial ships so I will post some updates later of them.

IMG_6120_zpstu2h8rpd.jpg IMG_6122_zpsy2kjgp8b.jpg IMG_6124_zps1uiljxsb.jpg IMG_6123_zpswjzwjrak.jpg IMG_6121_zpsobvwjjhv.jpg

These are exceptionally well done. I especially like the scheme you used for the Gladiators in the first pics. :)

I like what you did there. Especially that you not completely repainted the models only slightly modified them. Tehy are not standing out so much form the fleet but they are still unique.

I like what you did there. Especially that you not completely repainted the models only slightly modified them. Tehy are not standing out so much form the fleet but they are still unique.

Thank you but I'm not quite following. All of the Imperial capital ships were repainted with a full paint job over the original paint. Not one pictures has the original paint showing on the model.

I can see that. I just prefer those paint jobs that keep a similar color scheme to the original. Red Mon Cals look nice for example, and I saw some extremely talented and creative artists on this forum but I still prefer the grey star destroyers over any other color. And your works kept close to the original - well except of the black ISD but that looks cool too :)

I can see that. I just prefer those paint jobs that keep a similar color scheme to the original. Red Mon Cals look nice for example, and I saw some extremely talented and creative artists on this forum but I still prefer the grey star destroyers over any other color. And your works kept close to the original - well except of the black ISD but that looks cool too :)

Oh I got you now. Yes I prefer to keep with the basic Imperial look with a little dab or color on the grey to make them look a little different. Vykes work was my main inspiration. The Black Star Destroyer was won via a tournament so I didn't want to repaint the entire thing since the store did it and put their logo on it. When I get around to painting my Rebel ships I may get more adventurous with patterns and colors.