Ghost Repaint

By Timathius, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

So, I am torn on how to repaint my ghost. My rebels are done with a predominately orange theme, so thats what I am shooting for it to match. My thoughts are

1) Go SUPER orange with it, and then get some black and green in there to accent and do the glass canopys fade to blue

2) Make it into "Black Ghost One" and do Poe color scheme on it

3) leave it with the current scheme and just add more orange.

I have attached some pics below for reference on my fleet so far

CfR_5yzUkAAV4zS.jpg

CfR_5z0UYAAVSZd.jpg

CfR_p__UMAAJLYk.jpg

Your examples seem to follow the panel lines...and the Ghost has plenty of those!

...or how about trying for a Doppler effect in orange, narrow at the front, wider at the back...

Edited by ianmiddy

Or an actual, color-shifted Doppler effect. That ship is large enough to justify it.

I'm liking the orange, a Black One would fit right in while still being the obvious boss of the group.

Well, I have also been mostly running Chopper. His paint scheme fits perfectly with the ships in my list as well.

Though black and orange would definitely draw the eye in the fleet. **** this is hard.

Decided to go with the "Black ONE" ghost I did the prelims yesterday so I will update this post as I go.

I am thinking that the ghost's main cabin is screaming for me to do a horizon. Maybe an orbiting planet horizon?

Edit: Darn, won't let me get photos on on my phone

Will update later but they are here

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimathiusTA/status/736019337383936000/photo/2

Alright got it! So I figured I may as well just make this a plog so here is the WIP Ghost

CjbdmvBUgAACfV3.jpg Cjbdmu_VAAEAalH.jpg

Adding in some grey, Probably going to pick out a few more panels

CjddNF8WEAQ7I3v.jpg

Still got a LONG way to go, highlights everywhere and then the canopies. I was thinking of painting Bespin in the front canopy but I don't think this guy needs more orange. I don't really watch Rebels so is there another Planet that is pretty distinguishable that they visit?

Been working on a dial for a friend, he wants a First order scheme decloaking dial. Here it is about half way done, I loath painting large white surfaces....

CjddNF8XIAE_xur.jpg

Edited by Timathius

Your examples seem to follow the panel lines...and the Ghost has plenty of those!

...or how about trying for a Doppler effect in orange, narrow at the front, wider at the back...

Yea I am doing the Panel thing because that seems to be the style that FFGs paint teams seem to be going for and I want them to fit in well.

Edited by Timathius

...then the canopies. I was thinking of painting Bespin in the front canopy but I don't think this guy needs more orange. I don't really watch Rebels so is there another Planet that is pretty distinguishable that they visit?

Only seen the first series, but how about Mustafar ? Strictly speaking, the Ghost doesn't go there until the end of the rescue episode, but it might work, although maybe not 'bright' enough ?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/f/f6/Mustafar_Rebels.png/revision/latest?cb=20150226171953

A little more conventional would just be Lothal:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/34/Lothal_Full_Planet.png/revision/latest?cb=20150415030255

(Done as links, as forum doesn't allow png pics :( )

...then the canopies. I was thinking of painting Bespin in the front canopy but I don't think this guy needs more orange. I don't really watch Rebels so is there another Planet that is pretty distinguishable that they visit?

Only seen the first series, but how about Mustafar ? Strictly speaking, the Ghost doesn't go there until the end of the rescue episode, but it might work, although maybe not 'bright' enough ?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/f/f6/Mustafar_Rebels.png/revision/latest?cb=20150226171953

A little more conventional would just be Lothal:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/34/Lothal_Full_Planet.png/revision/latest?cb=20150415030255

(Done as links, as forum doesn't allow png pics :( )

Mustafar looks badass. So blue canopies and then the Mustafar reflected in the main canopy? Should add some serious contrast

Oooh, me likey! I've been contemplating how to paint my ghost as well. The lady said it needs some purple, so I was thinking of using that as my accent color, but I didn't really know how I was going to do it. I really like the black base, and I think the purple will pop well against that. Thanks for the inspiration!

Oooh, me likey! I've been contemplating how to paint my ghost as well. The lady said it needs some purple, so I was thinking of using that as my accent color, but I didn't really know how I was going to do it. I really like the black base, and I think the purple will pop well against that. Thanks for the inspiration!

No Problem! What I did here was prime white, then took a BRIGHT orange and added in some medium from GW and did a really thick wash essentially, and then taped it up and primed black. I am pleased with how it came out. That same technique works GREAT with purple I used it to paint up a ton of Dark Eldar when I used to work for the workshop.

Edit: Darn, won't let me get photos on on my phone

Will update later but they are here

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimathiusTA/status/736019337383936000/photo/2

Alright got it! So I figured I may as well just make this a plog so here is the WIP Ghost

CjbdmvBUgAACfV3.jpg Cjbdmu_VAAEAalH.jpg

Adding in some grey, Probably going to pick out a few more panels

CjddNF8WEAQ7I3v.jpg

Still got a LONG way to go, highlights everywhere and then the canopies. I was thinking of painting Bespin in the front canopy but I don't think this guy needs more orange. I don't really watch Rebels so is there another Planet that is pretty distinguishable that they visit?

Been working on a dial for a friend, he wants a First order scheme decloaking dial. Here it is about half way done, I loath painting large white surfaces....

CjddNF8XIAE_xur.jpg

Looking good Brah!

:)

Hopefully this attachment works! Did some of the canopy post-271638-0-99696000-1464378719_thumb.jpeg

I gotta ask - what orange paints are you using?

That was vallejos bright orange thinned down a bit and done over a white primer. Pops really well.

Did a wash on this guy to bring the highlights into check. I have since painted the Attack Shuttle as well just need to get a pic of it. But otherwise she is pretty much ready to go.

CjkD7k_WkAAnFiy.jpg .

CjkD7lFW0AAvt8y.jpg

Here is the final on the dial project. Now I just need to paint him a de-cloaking FO Phantom.

CjkD7k_W0AAmHBJ.jpg

I assume you painted this white, then masked the stripes and painted it black? those orange stripes are very well done, as are the canopies.. would like to see some weathering and battle damage. I'm a big fan of paint chips.. :)

Thanks and Yup! White then Orange then tape then re prime black.

Battle damage is an excellent idea. Especially since I am not super happy with the Black and it would definitely break it up.

here it is with the Attack Shuttle painted. I am definitely going to add some battle damage and then some tie kill marks on the side as well!

Cj3U139XIAA0ay9.jpg

Edited by Timathius

Taking a break from the ghost to paint a friends Tie Phantom F/O

CkCzLTDUkAA10yZ.jpg

Going to fatten up the decloaking lines as I am not happy with them. I can't decide if I like the canopy or not either.

CkCzLTCUUAAalg2.jpg

Edited by Timathius

canopy looks good, the cloaking lines need a thin white line in the middle of the blue I think.. right now it's a little muddy looking

CkVtXSIW0AAz05i.jpg

added a blaster burn, don't quite know how I feel about it. I am used to painting Tanks for my old guard army, so bullet holes and mud lol.

CkVtXSIWYAADR74.jpg

DId some engine action here though the ghost's engines are a bit odd with that huge circle in the middle

and then a biggs to keep the ghost alive

CkVtXSJWsAEhH3h.jpg

and engines

CkVtXSKWEAAdyPN.jpg

i touched up the engines after these pictures were taken!