Battlelore Second Edition Questions

By SWfanforever, in BattleLore

Hello All,

I'm new to the boards and Fantasy Flight Games in general. Recently, I purchased Battlelore Second Edition for the family and we really enjoy it but some questions of come up during gameplay that I'm not sure of the answers. I have read both books and refer to them during gameplay so maybe I'm missing something or not reading the cards/books carefully enough. Here are the questions:

1. Can 2 units attack each other if they are on adjacent hill hexes?

2. For Flesh Ripper Brutes to use Pursue 2 can they move up to 2 hexes and attack a different unit than the initial attack during this turn?

3. If you play a command card that says "move 2 in the right, 1 in the center" and all you have is 1 in the right and 1 in the center is that all you move? This would be a similar question for any command card that doesn't quite match what you have in each section.

4. For Flesh Ripper Brutes fighting rune golems, do the brutes use pursue 2 before the golem counter attacks?

5. I know a stunned unit can't move or attack but what about a poisoned unit?

6. In one scenario the Daqan played "Darken the Skies" command card. The card says order 3 archer units...I only had 1. It says they get one additional attack also. This archer unit didn't move either so I was gonna use double shot as well. Now, I also played a lore card "death from above". So would the archer unit roll 6 attack die? 4 (including double shot) + 2 for darken the skies...Death from Above says 1 attack during attack step for archer unit or unit with flying ability. So can that archer unit attack again for 6 more dice or can I switch to the Rock Warrior based on the lore card? Bit confused on this one.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to look into these questions.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. You will be able to only move one unit in the right and one unit in the center in that case. Keep in mind, you can play any command card as a wild to move any single unit on the battlefield.

4. You can use the Pursue instead of Advance. You Advance only when you eliminated a unit or caused it to move out of the hex, as a result of the combat. So in this case, I suppose, since Golems are performing a counter, they haven't been routed/eliminated. Therefore, you cannot use Pursue at all.

5. It certainly can. The only implication of a poisoned unit is that anyone who attacks it may commit lore dice rolls to cause 1 damage.

6. You don't roll dice altogether. With Darken the Skies the Yeoman Archer unit that didn't move can perform 3 attacks, 2 dice each. Now when you play 'Death from Above', you can either make one extra attack with the archers (rolling again 2 dice), or attack with you Roc, if it has a valid target.

Edited by SpawnGarret

Spawn Garret answered your questions excellently, I think, but I do want to add to #4 since there may be some confusion there.

For a counter to occur, at the end of the attack, both the attacker and the target must occupy the same hexes they occupied at the start of the attack. So if the Rune Golem retreated or was eliminated, it could not counter so. I am guessing that the Rune Golem retreated and the Flesh Ripper Brute moved into the Rune Golem's space, so you were wondering if the Rune Golem counters first or not. In that case, the Rune Golem is not in the hex it started in at the beginning of combat, so it cannot perform a counter.

Thanks very much for the responses SpawnGarret and Budgernaut. That helped out a lot.

A couple more questions if I may:

1. What is the difference in the game between a ford and a bridge? Obviously, the illustrations are different as the bridge is a built structure but how do these effect the game?

2. Once you go into "Upkeep Phase", specifically resolving VP points... if a player round after round does not move his unit from a banner marker does that mean that every round he keeps getting that VP or VPs depending how many were on the board to begin with? My daughter's strategy every time we play is to immediately go right to all the banner markers on the board and try to stay there to accumulate the VPs as fast as possible and with being able to win at 16 she wins pretty fast.

3. In a counterattack can the countering unit use their special abilities if they were triggered by a dice roll? For instance, the Heroic symbol triggering Viper's Bite.

I have other questions as well, but I don't want to take up too much of anyone's time. I just want to make sure I'm playing correctly. We are enjoying this game immensely! Thank you again.

1. When you enter a ford, you need to end your movement, while bridge is treated as a clear hex movement-wise.

2. Yes, this is right. The game is essentially about holding objectives, not about massacring the opponent's army

3. Yes.