Thinking about mutations

By Gregorius21778, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Greetings, brethern.

While the DH has a fine list of mutations which a lot of are "catch all terms" to be "fluffed out" further, after creating a bunch of mutants things grow a little repetative...

Therefore, I am looking for "new entries" for both Minor and Major Mutations, like the following.
Please note: Some of them are linked to existing mutations. The mutant is automatically counting as having the effects of said mutation as well.

Mismatched Strongarm (Minor)
One of the arms (or perhaps the only arm?) of the mutant is oversized and muscular. The Mutant will be looking "Grotesque ", gets a -2 (Malus) on Initiative in Combat but will gain the "Crushing Blow" Talent if striking with his "Strong Arm".

Albino (Minor)
The Mutant has a white (or colourless?) skin and red eyes, in addition to a weakend sight and an impared health. Lower both Perception and Toughness by 1d10.

Nightskin (Major or perhaps Minor, your choice)
The skin of the Mutant is not only dark but black as the dead of night. He gains a +20 bonus on all Concealment test while "near naked" and in a dark areas and/or checks to spot him in such an area are -20.

Leap Legs (Minor)
The physiologie of the legs are strange and reminding of a jumping animal. Or perhaps the legs are just really strong. The mutant gains +30 on all test for leaping.

Thin as a string (Major)
The Mutant in unbelieavble thin and spindly in statue, reminding of a mantice or a scarecrow. Reduce Strenght and Toughness by -10 and Wounds by -5. All ranged attacks against him suffer an additional -5 unless aimed at the head.

Small [Minor]
The Mutant is small. Not like a midget/dwarf (with mismatched limbs) but like a child. He gains the Scrawny Trait. Reduce his Strenght by 5 and his Wounds by 3.

Midget [Minor]
Like small, but his Agility and and WS are reduce by 15 as well.

Warpsenses [Major]
The mutant isn´t having eyes. Instead, he perceives his surroundings by unknown means of the warp. He counts als "Blind", but has the Trait "Unnatural Senses (Perception in Meters)" and the Psynisicience Skill. There is a 10% Chance that he is a "Wyrd" as well.

Very very nice. cool.gif

How about:

Desert-born [minor]

The mutant has Resistance (heat) and requires only half the normal intake of water per day to remain healthy.

Sister Cat said:

Very very nice. cool.gif

How about:

Desert-born [minor]

The mutant has Resistance (heat) and requires only half the normal intake of water per day to remain healthy.

As a P.S. to above post, they could leathery skin and thick deposits of fatty tissue to retain moisture.

Sister Cat said:

Sister Cat said:

Very very nice. cool.gif

How about:

Desert-born [minor]

As a P.S. to above post, they could leathery skin and thick deposits of fatty tissue to retain moisture.

Thats more like it :) Simply the "benefits" might be nice rules wise, but without a prober description it is somewhat "wanting". After all, a GM needs to describe these filthy little beings to the players.

Gregorius21778 said:

Thats more like it :) Simply the "benefits" might be nice rules wise, but without a prober description it is somewhat "wanting". After all, a GM needs to describe these filthy little beings to the players.

Exactly. Please forgive my lapse. I have had too many things on my plate the past few weeks. gui%C3%B1o.gif If I have any more ideas, I will share them here. Cheers.

Many-eyed head [Major]

The head of the mutant is hairless and covered in many mismatching eyes constantly looking and rolling. While not having 360-degree vision, the mutant can "focus" on any "sight" as a Free action, effectively allowing him to see what is going on behind him without turning. In addition, he receives a +20 bonus on all checks for Awareness were his sight would matter. Since all the eyes are "unmatched", he his deep vision is impared, whatsoever (BS reduced by 10).

Due to his look, the mutant counts as Grotesque as well.

Covered in barbed spikes [Minor]
The mutant body is covered in patches of barbed spikes made horn or bone. If an attacker strikes the mutant "bare handed" or with a small weapon (like a knive), the attacker must pass a challenging (+0) agility test or gets harmed at the hand/arm location (1d5; Primitive; Rending).
[Game mechanic gratiously yanked from DotDG "Ripsaw Scuttler"]

Pincer [Major]
One of the mutants arms isn´t ending in a underam with hand, but into pincer like that of crab or lobbster. The "arm" is useless as a manipulator, but while "grabbing", the mutant is now able to induce 1d10+STB damage (primitive) as a free action. If the Mutation is part of a chart and "rolled twice", the damage gains the tearing quality.

Gills [Minor or Major]
The Mutant has developed gills at the sides of his back (near ripcage) and isn´t breathing through his mouth anymore. With 20% chance, he´s able to breath under water and on land, otherwise he can breath only under one of the conditions (players choice if pc...and an obivous one).

Strangulating the targets neck will not suffocate him any longer, but heavy clothing (or armour) over the whole torso will either hinder breathing and lead to a level of fatigue (or to suffocation).

Sliming Skin [Minor or Major]
The Mutants skin is slowly "sweating" some milky secret (which will cover the skin in a under an hour) which will be "soak" into regular clothing. Attempts to grapple the mutant are -10 (unless he wear rigid armour not "soaked" with his slime) and he counts as "Grotesque". He gains the "Resistance: Heat" Talent as well, but loses -5 Toughness (to reflect the extra "demand" place on his body by the slime production).

Club foot [Minor]
One of the feet is fused into a lump of flesh and bone hindering movement. The character cannot run or charge. Many popular believes call this mutation a "witch feet" and believe it is a curse of the Emporer so the sinner cannot run form his just purging.

Cyclops [Minor]
The mutant is either born with one eye or the other "vanished" (grown over, popped out, rotted away). The eye might be centered in the face, rest in its "proper place" or be misplaced in the face. Depending on the placement and general look, the mutant might count as Grotesque (1-2 on a d10 or GM´s fiat). Due to the impact on his depth perception, the ballistic skill is permanently reduced by -10 and a -20 mali is assigned to check where depth perception is necessary (like most drive and pilot skills).

Misplaced eyes [Minor]
The eyes are not in the front of the face but more at the sides and bulging out. While the depth perception is ruined (-10 to BS; -20 on all check where depth perception is necessary) and vision is impared (-10 on all sight based perception tests; cannot have "Accute Sense (Sight)") the peripheral vision is greatly enhanced and the mutant has good view on what is going on around him (+10 on all Awareness test to spot a danger).

Whilst there is a Mutant package available in on the the books now heres something my group come up with...

Feral World Mutant Package: cost 200xp

"I weren't sure if it were beast or man, but i swung its club and howled 'fer der empra' with the rest of them twists" Gustav Olson, only survivor of the Trex VI crash landing.

Gains one of the following Mutations: Grotesque, Tough Hide, Brute, Tox Blood, Wyrdling

Also gain 1 roll on the Mutations (minor) chart, re-roll any of the above mutations if already selected.

Has a 40% chance of a Major Mutation (rolled, not chosen)

Starts play with 10 + 2 D10 Corruption Points

Starts play with 10 + 1 D10 Insanity Points

Gains one of the following negligable Mutations: Furry, Bald, Sharp Teeth, Long Fingers, Mono Eyebrow, Rancid Smell, Snarling Voice

Imperial World Mutant Package: cost 200xp

"She was real sweet to me she was, letting me buy her drinks all night after seeing her up on that stage with her honeyed voice, when we got back to her place it was a different tale all together" Banger Harley, former scribe, on a penitents pilgrimmage.

Gains one of the following Mutations: Feels No Pain, Brute, Night Sider, Wyrdling, Hermaphrodite*

Also gain 1 roll on the Mutations (minor) chart, re-roll any of the above mutations if already selected.

Has a 30% chance of a Major Mutation (rolled, not chosen)

Starts play with 10 + 1 D10 Corruption Points

Starts play with 15 + 1 D10 Insanity Points

Gains one of the following negligable Mutations: Perfect Skin, Extra Digits, Sweet Smell, Rotten Teeth, Hump Backed, Enlarged/Shrunken Genitalia, Obvious Birth Mark

Void Born Mutant Package: Cost 200xp

"The Stars are propitous with the birthing of our brother, he is gifted with a closeness to the Aether." Slither Pogue, Gunnery Sergeant onboard the Corialis Nox

Gains one of the following Mutations: Misshapen, Feels No Pain, Night Sider, Big Eyes, Wyrdling

Also gain 2 roll on the Mutations (minor) chart & one, re-roll any of the above mutations if already selected.

Has a 55% chance of a Major Mutation (rolled, not chosen)

Starts play with 10 + 2 D10 Corruption Points

Starts play with 10 + 2 D10 Insanity Points

Gains one of the following negligable Mutations: Bird Like Bones, Long Fingers, Unusual Irises, Squinting Eyes, Scentless, No Finger Prints, Shallow Breathing (small lungs).

Hive World Mutant Package: Cost 200xp

"Give me your poor, your tired your pimps, your voidhops your cogboys, your midgets your chimps, give me your freaks, your whores your harlots, your flunkies your junkies........ give me your starlets" Cecilia Previn, Popular Voxtress & Rumoured Twist.

Roll 3 times on the Mutations (minor) chart and 2.

Has a 40% chance of a Major Mutation (rolled, not chosen)

Starts play with 15 + 1 D10 Corruption Points

Starts play with 10 + 1 D10 Insanity Points

Gains one of the following negligable Mutations: Roll 2 times on Any of the Quirks list and apply to your character sheet.

* Hermaphrodite Mutation: the character registers as both Male & Female in any Medical scans. They appear quite androgenous in appearance. When, or IF, they breed, there is only a 5% chance of conception/impregnation. This type of Twist is sought after by many brothels as they sell well to every one. Any Fellowship skills are raised by +10 when essentially selling themselves (open to interpretation by GM's)

All Mutants gain the following Trait: Hunted.

Hunted: once a Mutant is found out, they are at -30 Fellowship to any tests around "Normals" unless the Normal goes out of their way to show no negative feelings to Mutants.

Anyone attacking the Mutant who has the Hatred/Mutants talent also deals an additional 2 points of damage if they really know the Mutant to be a Real Mutant, as opposed to just being accused of it or suspecting they're a Mutant.