Any house rule suggestions on delays?

By Minandreas, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

After playing a couple of games my play group is in unanimous agreement that we need some kind of home rule to mitigate delays. Twice now one of the players essentially didn't get to play. He just spent the entire game delayed. Not fun. At all.

Has anyone come up with some interesting home rules or variants that somehow mitigate delays? I considered creating a custom investigator with some sort of ability to spend clue tokens or something to negate delays for other players or himself once per turn. But I'd prefer something that doesn't require locking a player in to a certain character. We feel delays are too common period in the game, so would like some kind of global house rule we can use every game.

May I ask you why you got delayed so often? Sure it happens during the game, but it's rare to see this more than once / investigator. In any case, if you want to avoid being delayed, play Mark Harrigan

I also have some friends like yours who have to be doing something on their turn and become bored when their character basically has their moves dictated by the game (such as delayed or moving through the other world). The one thing I can not stress enough when playing with people is that this is a Co-op game. Get excited by the other players and their encounters and movements. take joy from the team accomplishing a goal together, otherwise it can be very dull.