Lottery: Spirit of the Card vs. Actual Wording

By Osbo25, in Talisman Rules Questions

The Lottery event from the City expansion is worded like this:

All characters roll 1 die.

The character with the highest result (reroll ties) gains an amount of gold equal to his final die roll. Then discard this card.

The apparent intent of this card is that if two character roll a six, for example, then those two characters would reroll until one of them had a higher number.

However, it could be argued that the wording of the card leaves it open to where any tie may be rerolled. For example, playing the D.E. just now, I rolled a six, but the next two characters each rolled a one, and the two characters after that each rolled a three. If we are to "reroll ties" then both of those ties should be rerolled, potentially allowing one of them to enter into a tie with the person who rolled the highest.

Again, I don't believe that is the intent, nor do I think that is how the card should be played. But the wording does seem to allow such an interpretation.

This is mostly just an observation I made. It's no big deal; just some food for thought.

The highest result, if it is a tie should.be rerolled. Not the lower results.

6 players if you sat there re rolling all doubles you will be re-rolling a lot- in effect every player needs to roll a different number.

The wording is fine the (re-roll ties) is after the highest number in its text. Personally I always thought all players rolled at same time then after highest re-rolls any player could use fate but lately after talking to other players I've come to the conclusion that you should roll the dice in turn order (just like in the DE).

Lets say 3 characters roll. Char A rolls 4 while chars B and C roll 6 each. Then B and C reroll and B gets 1 and C gets 2.

Who gains gold? Is is A with 4?

Lets say 3 characters roll. Char A rolls 4 while chars B and C roll 6 each. Then B and C reroll and B gets 1 and C gets 2.

Who gains gold? Is is A with 4?

Player C gains the gold.

This is a no brainer guys I can't believe these questions are even being asked

It is quite simple....

It is an elimination tournament with the highest roll(s) moving to the next round until a winner is crowned.....holy crow.

Because some rules and cards are confusing and not as simple as other players think... (eg.. cataclysm event cards being discarded for one).

Ya but not this one lol

Ya but not this one lol

No, but its understandable that others can get confused.

Did you not take the time to read how I started this discussion?

The Lottery event from the City expansion is worded like this:

All characters roll 1 die.

The character with the highest result (reroll ties) gains an amount of gold equal to his final die roll. Then discard this card.

The apparent intent of this card is that if two characters roll a six, for example, then those two characters would reroll until one of them had a higher number.

However, it could be argued that the wording of the card leaves it open to where any tie may be rerolled. For example, playing the D.E. just now, I rolled a six, but the next two characters each rolled a one, and the two characters after that each rolled a three. If we are to "reroll ties" then both of those ties should be rerolled, potentially allowing one of them to enter into a tie with the person who rolled the highest.

Again, I don't believe that is the intent, nor do I think that is how the card should be played. But the wording does seem to allow such an interpretation.

This is mostly just an observation I made. It's no big deal; just some food for thought.

I highlighted the pertinent section, in case you missed it.

I pointed this out because we Talisman folk are so obsessed with wording that we notice when something could be argued in a different way. Yes, it's a no-brainer. But at the same time an argument could be made in a different direction because of the wording on the card.

Hehehe.

But, lets be realistic nearly all the cards in Talisman could be argued that the wording means something different than its intent.

Because Lottery does not describe the order in which players roll their dice I think is the main confusion of this cards effect. A simple "starting with yourself, then continuing clockwise" or "In turn order" would of fixed this. Or even to save room something in the City rules like what was did with Cataclysm if card size is a prob.

We have added the house rule that any mass dice rolling is done in turn order. This really helps with effects like Lottery.

But, lets be realistic nearly all the cards in Talisman could be argued that the wording means something different than its intent.

For me, that's one of the main drawbacks of this game.

Munchkin at least had the decency to openly admit it.

Any other disputes should be settled by loud arguments, with the owner of the game having the last word.

Take something perfectly simple and turn it into... pffft :mellow:
1) Each player rolls a die. (The order doesn't matter.)
2) The results are compared. The player with the highest result wins that much gold. But...
2a) If the highest results are tied, each player with the highest result rerolls until there is a single winner. The winner gains the amount of gold on his final die roll.

2) The results are compared. The player with the highest result wins that much gold. But...

2a) If the highest results are tied, each player with the highest result rerolls until there is a single winner. The winner gains the amount of gold on his final die roll.

Exactly what the original poster postulated.

Edited by tsuma534

If that was true, there wouldn't be any qurey whatsoever. Yet there was.

Take something perfectly simple and turn it into... pffft :mellow:

Well the order does matter! it matters a lot because of fate re-rolls. If its all rolled at same time then everyone can use light fate to re-roll their rolls or if they don't can use dark fate to force another player to re-roll. But if rolled in turn order players have to wait to see their roll to make a choice to force a re-roll. You just re-roll highest ties so unless someone rolls a 6 no one will really force a re roll.

If it was not for light and dark fate then yes it would be a lot simpler, hench the card being made before woodlands.

my gaming group, alweays try to use the wording on the cards as the definitive answer

my gaming group, alweays try to use the wording on the cards as the definitive answer

And what does the wording of the card answer give you on the order of the rolls?

And what does the wording of the card answer give you on the order of the rolls?

It doesn't, but using the clockwise rule is best (just like DE does).

It doesn't, but using the clockwise rule is best (just like DE does).

Yep, so its best to do all effects like that if they say nothing otherwise.