5-in-a-row conspiracy piece alternative?

By Nebula3, in Android

I'm not a fan of the tick tack toe rule for conspiracy puzzle pieces. I want every rule in the game to have a reason to be in the story, and this one doesn't seem to. I've only played the game once, and we didn't use that rule, but it seemed better off without it.

However, that might make the conspiracy pieces a little weak. Maybe I should make all of the conspiracies worth double. I.e. Human First would give +2 VP per link. Does this sound like a good idea? Any other ideas?

I want my the games to be very story based, with as much immersion as possible.

Also, I just want to say that I'm loving this game so far. The feeling of the game was exactly was was advertised on the box. It's very complicated though. Our game, with all new players, took 5 hours, from opening the box to finishing.

Check out the link in my signature for a variant for the conspiracy.

I like the idea, Bleached Lizard, but the game is already too complex for new players, and that method will add even more complexity. Maybe when we learn the game in and out, we will do that.

I love your concurrent turns modification, and will definitely be using that.

Your variants have inspired me to write my own. I'm now making a Caprice variant that vastly changes the way she is played, and makes it feel more like a story. It also makes week two much more interesting. I.e. if you get the "Property of Jinteki" plot, and play correctly, you will be able to gain Chairman Hiro favors during week two.