New to pen and paper RPGs

By TheGuardian118, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Hi everyone! My group and I are new to this type of game, but want to try it out. We were originally looking at the LOTR RPG (Came out early 2000s I believe) cause I already have one of the books, well the narrators screen accessory actually, complete with a beginner scenario. I just got into the LOTR LCG from Fantasy Flight, and noticed they also have these Star Wars RPGs. I have a couple questions I'm hoping some of you can answer. I plan on giving everyone premade characters regardless of which game we play, at least for the first couple games. We are planning on playing next weekend so I have this weekend and next week to prepare.

1. What's the ideal number of players for this type of game? My group has me (I will be GM), and two people that are definitely interested, and one maybe. Are these types of games doable with 2 players + GM or should we not bother without 3+GM at least? We might be able to recruit some more if it's better with a larger group, all would most likely be new to this kind of games. (All adults)

2. Has anyone played the LOTR one and can compare it to this one? (Any of the three versions of the SW beginner games) I'm thinking at least we'll start with LOTR to see if we like the type of game since I already have the book, then maybe spend the money and get into one of these depending what everyone wants.

3. Any tips for a brand new GM introducing this type of game to brand new players?

4. Are there any decent videos on YouTube or anywhere I can watch to see how one of these games plays out? I didn't see many during a cursory search for LOTR, but it looks like there are a number for SW. If anyone could recommend a particular channel that's typically recommended to new players that would save some time searching for one this weekend.

1. The numbers you are suggesting are fine. Especially with a new GM. I think it would be better to start with a smaller group until you become more experienced.

2. You said early 2000's so I think you mean Decipher's LOTR? I've played it also and while I think it is a good system (much preferable then d20) I think this narrative system edges it out. But, of course you came to an FFG forum so what do you expect? :) In all seriousness if you were my best friend getting into RPGs I would also suggest this narrative system over any other. It highly promotes role-playing not just roll-playing so is a great starting system to learn what RPGs are (should be) about. If you started with d20 as your first ever system, for example, you could end up with a much different view of what an RPG is.

3. Pick one of the beginner boxes to get you started. They teach you the game, take little preparation, and are fun. I would suggest the Age of Rebellion or Edge of the Empire beginner games versus Force & Destiny if your players aren't demanding to be force-users.

4. Order 66 Podcast has hours and hours of play and evaluation. Something quicker? I'm sure it's out there but wouldn't be able to suggest anything from memory without a google or youtube search.

Edited by Sturn

UpToFourPlayers did a 2-part comic on the basics of the dice mechanic.

2. Has anyone played the LOTR one and can compare it to this one? (Any of the three versions of the SW beginner games) I'm thinking at least we'll start with LOTR to see if we like the type of game since I already have the book, then maybe spend the money and get into one of these depending what everyone wants.

Even though they're both RPGs they won't play the same, so trying LotR will only tell you if you like the idea of roleplaying in general. If I remember the Decipher version, it wasn't that much different than a "standard" RPG...whatever that is. A lot of people here have been playing since the original D&D, and personally now that this game line has come along I have no interest in playing anything else. There are even some good home-brew fantasy conversions on these boards, so you can play any type of game with it.

I'd second the idea of just picking up a beginner game. The box will keep you busy for an evening for less than the price of a movie, and there is a free PDF followup (and additional pre-generated characters) on the support page that adds another three-or-so sessions of game time.

Thank you all for the advice!

Kaose, that comic was actually quite helpful. I'll be sure to show it to my players when explaining how it works.

Whafrog and Sturn, I'm going to check with my players today and see which setting they would prefer and go from there. I'm going to vote for these SW boxes after looking into the beginner boxes a little more last night. I was looking at what I have and I need either the core book for LOTR or a beginner box for SW, and the cost for each is about the same. I came here instead of looking for a Decipher forum cause I know I can get into here at work, and if the LOTR LCG forum was any indication, the Fantasy Flight community is one of the best around. :) I'll pick one of the non-force boxes if we go SW to start. (Unless everyone really really wants to be a force user)

After looking into it a bit more last night, I have some follow up questions.

1. Past the beginner box, will we still need the full core book if we get into it more? How much content does that add?

2. Also, how easy is it to merge the three books if each player wanted to pick a type of character from each one eventually?

3. Would you recommend getting each beginner book before going into a full core?

4. I noticed there is a Force Awakens beginner book based off the new movie, would that be a good place to start instead of one of the other three? It looks like there isn't any follow up, but my players might enjoy that setting because it's loosely based on the movie.

1. The Character folios will only take you so far. However, after you wrap up the beginner box adventure, you can download a free followup adventure online.

2. All 3 core books use the same rule set. they mix and match seamlessly. The only hitch is each line has a different mechanic. Obligation for your fringer types, duty to the rebellion for your AoR types, and Morality for your Force Sensitives. But managing those mechanics isn't too bad. The Force and Destiny CRB has a section on running all 3 mechanics, whereas the AoR CRB has a section running obligation and Duty.

3. Nah. The beginner games are kind of railroady and primarily serve to teach the game to the GM and players one encounter at a time. the followup adventures are there to have you get a feel for roleplaying once you have picked up the rules. Just make sure your players are familiar with the 3 "themes". From there, you can discuss which theme you want to focus on. Even if you pick a specific theme, or go with your own, your players can still use material from the other books.

4. If you can wait until it is released (which won't be for 3 or 4 months). That may be your best bet. The TFA box supposedly mixes elements from all 3 lines.

Ah I didn't realize the movie one wasn't released yet. That one is out then.

Is just the set of dice in the beginner set enough or would I be better off picking up an extra set or two also?

Are the Game Master kits worth it? They look to be the equivalent of the Narrator's screen I have for the LOTR game.

Sadly, the movie one is not out yet. AoR or EotE may be your best choice.

One set is fine starting out, but I like having plenty at the table for other players to use. Personally, I have 6 sets and that works out great since none of my other players has any. If money is an issue, for $5 USD, FFG sells a dice roller app for your smart device with the Star Wars dice on it.

The gamemaster kit comes with the screen, an adventure, and each adventure has a special rule that you can introduce into your games. EotE screen introduced ways to beef up your nemesis. AoR introduced rules for running squads and squadrons, and Force and Destiny screen introduced special rules for building lightsabers. I liked AoR adventure the best, but there's an entire thread on the AoR forums with posts of people who did not like it, so maybe I'm in the minority. The Squad/Squadron rules are also the most handy. Each screen has page number referencing its corresponding book, so it may be best to get the screen that goes with the core line you end up getting. If you go that route.

For just running a beginner game, the GM kit is absolutely not necessary. nor is extra set of dice.

2. All 3 core books use the same rule set. they mix and match seamlessly. The only hitch is each line has a different mechanic. Obligation for your fringer types, duty to the rebellion for your AoR types, and Morality for your Force Sensitives. But managing those mechanics isn't too bad. The Force and Destiny CRB has a section on running all 3 mechanics, whereas the AoR CRB has a section running obligation and Duty.

I wouldn't call this a hitch. There is no real need to use Obligation/Duty/Morality if you don't want to. The only real differentiator is the list of careers and the narrative focus they are geared towards.

3. Nah. The beginner games are kind of railroady and primarily serve to teach the game to the GM and players one encounter at a time. the followup adventures are there to have you get a feel for roleplaying once you have picked up the rules. Just make sure your players are familiar with the 3 "themes". From there, you can discuss which theme you want to focus on. Even if you pick a specific theme, or go with your own, your players can still use material from the other books.

The game in the boxes are railroady, but the PDF followups are far more open. I've gotten good value from all three...plus having three sets of dice means I didn't have to buy any separately.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I ended up picking up the Age of Rebellion Beginner game. Now I have a week to read up on the GM details so we can have a good session next week!

Just wanted to give anyone who was interested an update and let you know we had an awesome session yesterday! Again, first time GM and my 3 players were brand new so it was a little slow going at first, but they got the hang of it towards the end. I'll list out a few highlights. We played the beginner Whisper Base mission.

-For the first 15-20 minutes my players were playing it like a video game and wanted to kill everything. (It took a bit of time to get through the first garage scene) Since they were taking over an imperial base this approach makes sense initially at first as a player, but it was really cool to see their change in focus after they realized they could talk to NPC characters. I tried to lead into it in the encounter with the droid TOOR. Their initial reaction after asking it one thing was to kill it, I asked them "Are you SURE you're ready to check initiative for combat?" and then they realized they could talk more and wound up removing his restraining bolt and converting him over to be friendly.

-I had covered the map so they could only see where they had explored, then at one point they broke into a computer and downloaded a map so I let them remove the cover, which seemed to really help immersion.

-At one point they wanted to shut the lights off in the base, and rolled high enough on a computers check that I let them for a time. It really spiced up combat when everyone was firing in darkness and only two of my three PCs had goggles. Setback dice for everyone! Except two of my PCs.

I'm sure I made mistakes as a new GM which means my players may have made mistakes from me explaining things, but everyone had fun. We are planning on running through the expanded beginner downloaded adventure in two weeks using the premade PCs one more time. If they want to do more past that then I'll pick up the core book so they can make their own characters.

Quick question, what races are available for character creation in each of the core rule books? Mostly looking at either AoR or Force and Destiny if someone really wants to be a force user. I want to give them an idea of the options available so they can start thinking about their characters.

Quick question, what races are available for character creation in each of the core rule books? Mostly looking at either AoR or Force and Destiny if someone really wants to be a force user. I want to give them an idea of the options available so they can start thinking about their characters.

I'm AFB, but IIRC Aor has Human, Droid, Mon Calamari, Bothan, Sullustan, Gran, and 2 others,

F&D has: Kel Dor, Cerean, Mirilian, Human, Zabrak, Twi'lek, Togruta, and 1 other.

Bothan - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Cerean - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Droid - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Duros - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Gand - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Gran - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Human - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Force And Destiny Core Rulebook
Ithorian - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Kel Dor - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Mirialan - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Mon Calamari - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook

Nautolan - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Rodian - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Sullustan - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Togruta - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Trandoshan - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Twi'Lek - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Force and Destiny Core Rulebook
Wookiee - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Zabrak - Force and Destiny Core Rulebook

--------------------------------------------------------------

Aleena - Nexus of Power

Aqualish (Aquala) - Dangerous Covenants

Aqualish (Quara) - Dangerous Covenants
Aqualish (Ualaq) - Dangerous Covenants
Arcona - Far Horizons

Bardottan - Nexus of Power

Besalisk - Special Modifications
Caamasi - Desperate Allies

Chadra-Fan - Stay on Target

Chagrian - Lead By Example
Chevin - Far Horizons
Chiss - Enter the Unknown

Devaronian - Nexus of Power
Drall - Suns of Fortune
Dressellian - Stay on Target

Dug - Special Modifications
Duros - Enter the Unknown, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook

Falleen - Fly Casual

Gossam - Desperate Allies

Gotal - Fly Casual
Gank - Lord of Nal Hutta
Gran - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Far Horizons

Gungan - Nexus of Power
Human - Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Force And Destiny Core Rulebook
Human, Corellian - Suns of Fortune
Hutt - Lord of Nal Hutta

Iktochi - Keeping the Peace

Ishitib - Lead by Example
Klatooinian - Dangerous Covenants

Lanniks - Keeping the Peace, Lead by Example

Mustafarian (Northern) - Special Modifications

Mustafarian (Southern) - Special Modifications

Neimoidian - Desperate Allies
Nikto (Green) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Mountain) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Pale) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Red) - Lord of Nal Hutta
Nikto (Southern) - Lord of Nal Hutta

Polis Massan - Strongholds of Resistance

Quarren - Fly Casual, Strongholds of Resistance
Sakiyan - Lord of Nal Hutta

Sathari - Chronicles of the Gatekeeper
Selonian - Suns of Fortune
Toydarian - Enter the Unknown

Verpine - Strongholds of Resistance
Weequay - Dangerous Covenants

Whiphids - Keeping the Peace
Xexto - Stay on Target

Wow thanks for the list! I'll share it with my group and ask them what races they want to play.

Aleena - Nexus of Power

Aqualish (Aquala) - Dangerous Covenants

Aqualish (Quara) - Dangerous Covenants

Aqualish (Ualaq) - Dangerous Covenants

Arcona - Far Horizons

Bardottan - Nexus of Power

Besalisk - Special Modifications

Caamasi - Desperate Allies

Chadra-Fan - Stay on Target

Chagrian - Lead By Example

Chevin - Far Horizons

Chiss - Enter the Unknown

Devaronian - Nexus of Power

Drall - Suns of Fortune

Dressellian - Stay on Target

Dug - Special Modifications

Duros - Enter the Unknown, Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook

Falleen - Fly Casual

Gossam - Desperate Allies

Gotal - Fly Casual

Gank - Lord of Nal Hutta

Gran - Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, Far Horizons

Gungan - Nexus of Power

Human, Corellian - Suns of Fortune

Hutt - Lord of Nal Hutta

Iktochi - Keeping the Peace

Ishitib - Lead by Example

Klatooinian - Dangerous Covenants

Lanniks - Keeping the Peace, Lead by Example

Mustafarian (Northern) - Special Modifications

Mustafarian (Southern) - Special Modifications

Neimoidian - Desperate Allies

Nikto (Green) - Lord of Nal Hutta

Nikto (Mountain) - Lord of Nal Hutta

Nikto (Pale) - Lord of Nal Hutta

Nikto (Red) - Lord of Nal Hutta

Nikto (Southern) - Lord of Nal Hutta

Polis Massan - Strongholds of Resistance

Quarren - Fly Casual, Strongholds of Resistance

Sakiyan - Lord of Nal Hutta

Sathari - Chronicles of the Gatekeeper

Selonian - Suns of Fortune

Toydarian - Enter the Unknown

Verpine - Strongholds of Resistance

Weequay - Dangerous Covenants

Whiphids - Keeping the Peace

Xexto - Stay on Target

And, THAT my friends is a sign of progress.

One set is fine starting out, but I like having plenty at the table for other players to use. Personally, I have 6 sets and that works out great since none of my other players has any. If money is an issue, for $5 USD, FFG sells a dice roller app for your smart device with the Star Wars dice on it.

If money is an issue I would use on of the many free dice roller apps, the FFG app is more like donating extra money to FFG for their hard work. Well or honoring the developers work of that app. I am all for giving app developers money :D