Scientist Assassination (AC) vs. Publicize Weapon Schematics (PC)

By Oerlien, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Hey all,

We're currently in a scenario that is most likely a thing for the FAQs.

Someone played the "Scientist assassination" AC on me this strategy phase after I picked the Technology I strategy. The wording on it is:

Scientist assassination
Choose a player. That player cannot acquire or purchase Technology this turn

So far, so good. However, our political agenda is this:

Publicize Weapon Schematics

For: Each player gains the War Sun Technology (for free), even if he does not own the prerequisites [...]

Against: Discard this card

Now if this political agenda is voted FOR - will I get the War Sun Technology? Or will I not because I cannot acquire technology this round?

Help is appreciated :)

~ Oerlien

you would not get the war sun tech. The action card states "acquire or purchase." It is not interested in how you would get the tech, it squashes the tech. So, sir, vote HELLNO and pray it carries.

The problem with this is, that the law stays in effect. So next round latest, I would still have the right to get the tech (because the Action Cards effect is gone then)

No you would not. The PC "Publicize Weapon Schematics" is not a law but a one-time deal of now or never iIrc.

Edited by Fnoffen

It's a law (see attached image). It even has effects that apply to war suns for the rest of the game.

pubweapon.JPG

It's a law (see attached image). It even has effects that apply to war suns for the rest of the game.

pubweapon.JPG

It's a Law BECAUSE it has effects that apply to War Suns for the rest of the game. THOSE effects are still around on future turns. The actual acquisition of the tech is a one-time deal that is resolved as soon as the vote is concluded.

Also, I agree that you miss out due to the AC played against you. Vote against, and do everything in your power to leverage your opponents into voting against as well. If you fail, use it as a bargaining chip to prevent hostilities against you. "You want to attack me? I don't even have War Suns! He's got War Suns, and it far more likely to cause you serious damage if you spend your efforts hurting me!"