Overlooked Careers...

By Ebonwarlock, in WFRP Gamemasters

Perhaps its just myself but there seem to be some careers that have been overlooked, careers that are seen quite regularly in the Warhammer novels. The most glaring omission my group has found is that we cannot find a Squire basic career.

Am I missing this Character Card or does it just not exist yet? Are there any other careers that seem to be missing to anyone else? I do realise that this is the basic set but I thought we would have had a Squire or some kind of Knight Career before the flagellant-zealot thing...

FFG has stated that not all career exist in the core set (best example is the rat catcher). They do plan to add to the career with additional products. The said Rat Catcher career will be in the adventure kit.

So you squire was not overlook and should be coming in a supplement

I'd bet squire will come out with a Bretonnia supplement. For now, you just have to improvise from either a soldier, mercenary, or watchman. Technically they fit into a "commoner" sort of thing..but who doesn't?

jh

There needs to be some new careers that people ignore, like:

• Pissboy
  • Chum-Bucket cleaner
  • Homeless Person
  • Flapper
  • Electric Donkey Bottom Wiper
  • Cesspool Stirrer
  • Dung Collector (oh, wait, there actually was one of those wasn't there?)
  • Royal Fluffer
  • Chimney Sweep
  • Royal Cousin's Nanny
  • Passerby
  • Royal Taste Tester
  • Village Idiot
  • Seamstress
  • Town Guard Deputy
  • Snack Tray Wench
  • Taffy Puller (take that however you want)
  • Animal control
  • Park Ranger

And the final career, most likely to be ignored:

• Fanboi

NezziR said:

• Fanboi

Didn't you just recently get accused of completing that career over on stun or strike?

Sinister said:

NezziR said:

• Fanboi

Didn't you just recently get accused of completing that career over on stun or strike?

Haha... Yeah. I was ostracized for being too cheerful. No one want's to be cheered up when they're getting their mad on.

nub5 said:

FFG has stated that not all career exist in the core set (best example is the rat catcher). They do plan to add to the career with additional products. The said Rat Catcher career will be in the adventure kit.

I know that FFG can't release every career right out of the box, the point was that I thought some of the initial choices of careers were a tad lacklustre. I mean the Dockhand career before the Squire ? I know that there are some strange Careers in WFRP such as the Ratcatcher or the Bonepicker or Camp Follower and I have seen my fair share of these while playing WFRP over the years. I think I was just a little disappointed with some of the Career choices especially since I actually really like this version of Warhammer.

-Ebon-

Ebonwarlock said:

nub5 said:

I know that FFG can't release every career right out of the box, the point was that I thought some of the initial choices of careers were a tad lacklustre. I mean the Dockhand career before the Squire ? I know that there are some strange Careers in WFRP such as the Ratcatcher or the Bonepicker or Camp Follower and I have seen my fair share of these while playing WFRP over the years. I think I was just a little disappointed with some of the Career choices especially since I actually really like this version of Warhammer.

-Ebon-

Keep in mind too that they have weighted it towards the beginning of the career scale (i.e. more basic careers than immediate or advanced). I would imagine including squire would suggest a second intermediate or advanced career should be included in order to make a reasonable 1 career advancement. As it stands now, it seems that all of the basic careers in a "chain of careers" has the next logical career as a progress. E.g. wizard apprentice, initiates, etc.

Dockhand is so totally more WFRP than Squire!

Squires should be busy taking care of a Knight, than traipsing about on their own. I personally wouldn't rank Squires as a 'needed' WFRP career. They're a bit too uncommon and not "everyman" enough IMO.

dvang said:

Dockhand is so totally more WFRP than Squire!

Squires should be busy taking care of a Knight, than traipsing about on their own. I personally wouldn't rank Squires as a 'needed' WFRP career. They're a bit too uncommon and not "everyman" enough IMO.

I made the assumption that the Squire would be the basic career, and the Knight the advanced version much as WFRP v2. Personally I would have thought the Squire/Knight was much more a WFRP thing than a dockhand considering how many of BL's novels cover knight characters... ;)

-ebon-

true, but WFRP the FPG has historically focused on the low of the low; very rarely did someone make it to the storied heights of being a Gotrek or whomever is in the novels (note: I haven't read anything other than the first witch hunter novel).

Yeah they do have a tendency to die young. Or go mad. Or join Chaos. Or get burned at the stake for possibly joining Chaos...

-ebon-

I vote hot chick! Every game's got a hot chick right?

42262d1260576553-wfrp3-character-sheet-d

Im expecting some sort of knightly orders supplement with the squire in, maybe a stable boy stuff like that going right up to grandmaster,also featuring things like crusading knight taal horned hunters, knights raven, black guard. with order specialities and mount options, extra equipment. mounted talents etc etc, as i feel the careers justisfy a whole supplement to be featured properly imo.

Emirikol said:

I vote hot chick! Every game's got a hot chick right?

42262d1260576553-wfrp3-character-sheet-d

or at least dudes that wants to play one. he he gran_risa.gif