White Noise and Know Your Enemy

By Tvboy, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

In White Noise, it says "Imperial Officers gain >>: discard an adjacent terminal".

In Know Your Enemy it says "a Probe Droid may spend 1 surge to blah, blah"...

My question is, does this include elite versions of these figures, which are normally written in red? The above text is written in normal font in the book, which usually means regular units only.

Hmmm, that's a good point. I played it that EProbes could mark too, because it seemed to make sense. Probably should be clarified by FFG.

Yeah, I played it that elites were not able to interact in White Noise, where it didn't really matter because by the end of the mission I only had enough threat to spawn regulars, but it's definitely going to matter in Know Your Enemy.

Edited by Tvboy

The RRG says as an example that Stormtrooper refers to both versions of the deployment card, so I would think both.

Elite Figures

ยท Elite Deployment cards share the same name as regular
Deployment cards. When a figure is called out by name (for
example, "Stormtrooper"), this refers to both regular and elite
versions of this figure.

Edited by a1bert

Oh okay. Didn't see that before. So, when it references Stormtrooper , it means both regular and elite, but if it says Stormtrooper , it means only elites?

I think it's universal except when mission rules are referring to reserved groups (you can't deploy Stormtrooper when an event tells you to deploy Stormtrooper). There are a few agenda cards that refer to deployment card names. Most class cards and deployment cards refer to traits instead, so there is no confusion. (Heavy Stormtrooper is not Stormtrooper, but is Trooper .)

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think to look for it there.

Know Your Enemy had some other clarification needs too.

- Most likely Probe Droids need to be able to damage the hero to be able to give the recon token. Or does it? Harmful conditions require damage, but 'harmful' isn't defined in the mission description. The heroes were so high level at this point of the campaing, that I decided that the droid doens't even have to get the required accuracy to hit. The droids didn't last very long on the map...

- Ivan Talos has by design similar skill set to Verena when using the heroe's weapon, but when he throws surges, what do they do? Use the Imperial Commander's skill surge abilities? This would go more in line with Verena.

1 hour ago, MrHangman said:

- Most likely Probe Droids need to be able to damage the hero to be able to give the recon token. Or does it? Harmful conditions require damage, but 'harmful' isn't defined in the mission description.

The mission token is not a condition. The mission rule is used exactly like it is written - when a Probe Droid is attacking a Rebel figure other than Verena, by spending a surge the IP can place 1 imperial mission token to the target's hero sheet or deployment card. It only requires line of sight (to be able to perform the attack in the first place), and happens during the spend surges step.

Verena's Close Quarters is actually attacking with the attack type and attack pool of the defeated figure, it is not performed with any weapon. She can use any surge abilities she has from class cards and hero sheet, but not from any weapon or modification.

On the other hand, Ivan Talos performs an attack with a weapon, which is different. When attacking with a weapon, you can use surge abilities of the weapon and its modifications, but not from other weapons. Also, figures with deployment cards can use their own surge abilities for any attacks they make unless specified otherwise. So, Ivan Talos can also use the surge abilities on the elite imperial officer deployment card.

See the Attacks section from http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/TheConsolidatedImperialAssaultRules.pdf

Edited by a1bert