strategy and play reports

By silenceindigo, in Cold War: CIA vs KGB (original edition)

I brought this game for a friend; any idea where to find discussions regarding strategy and play reports?
Sorry if it's been asked before, but since forum speed is an issue, I can't consult archives...

FFG just set up new forums, so there really aren't any old message threads to search. You can find chatter on ANY game at other sites like BGG but....

What sort of strategy discussions are you expecting here? I don't see a lot to talk about as far as how to play this game goes and a session report would be a bit dry.

I guess I'll have to wait and see...

One strategy I have thought to implement but haven't had the opportunity to try yet is to select my Double Agent , Analyst , or Director as my Agent X when an Event Card comes up as the Objective . Since Event Cards always have a population of one, you have less opportunity to finesse the Influence Struggle . A Double Agent or an Analyst will give you a benefit no matter what the result of the Influence Struggle (unless your opponent plays the exact same Agent X ). While the Director won't always get a result, there is no danger of losing him to Civil Disorder .

The danger in this strategy is that if your opponent picks up on and anticipates your use of these particular agents for Event Card objectives, the opponent will likely try for a lucky shot with his or her Assassin .

Torpedo said:

One strategy I have thought to implement but haven't had the opportunity to try yet is to select my Double Agent , Analyst , or Director as my Agent X when an Event Card comes up as the Objective . Since Event Cards always have a population of one, you have less opportunity to finesse the Influence Struggle . A Double Agent or an Analyst will give you a benefit no matter what the result of the Influence Struggle (unless your opponent plays the exact same Agent X ). While the Director won't always get a result, there is no danger of losing him to Civil Disorder .

The danger in this strategy is that if your opponent picks up on and anticipates your use of these particular agents for Event Card objectives, the opponent will likely try for a lucky shot with his or her Assassin .

No, for the same reason you've mentioned, an Assassin is unlikely. These objectives are really up to pure chance so it makes more sense to choose someone you can count on. Besides, if I felt certain you were going to choose a Double Agent or an Analyst, I wouldn't want that guy dead anyway. There are bigger fish to fry...

An assasin may be unlikely....but sometimes that makes it an even better card to play as was proved when i lost my Director.