Beginners Box Foreshadowing a Core Rule Book?

By GMJack at StoriesUnfold, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

So, all of the Beginner Boxes have preceded a full Core Rule Book and additional game line.

So I'm curious if Force Awakens will be the same --- and if so, to what end? It seems pretty clear from the Character Folios that they are grabbing Classes from EoE and AoR - so I wonder what kind of content we would potentially be looking at.

I hope the choose not to do this and instead give us a series of Setting Source Books. I really dont need a fourth core rule book with 70% repeated information.

Hi GMJack of StoriesUnfold! That very thought has sparked a spirited discussion. Check it out here and add your thoughts.

They said that this is a one off designed to get new people into the game.

Get into the game how? Will new players be expected to by three core rulebooks to continue their game past the beginner adventure? It's seems that the characters from this box already have Specs from two of those books. It seems to me that a new combined core would be a more enticing option for new players.

Get into the game how? Will new players be expected to by three core rulebooks to continue their game past the beginner adventure? It's seems that the characters from this box already have Specs from two of those books. It seems to me that a new combined core would be a more enticing option for new players.

Given that TFA showcases important aspects of the existing core rulebooks (rough living, member of the alliance, force user) it doesn't seem hard to imagine people choosing a rule book (or even just an adventure) and continuing on (EotE being the most natural progression from a beginning on Jakku). Of course if the next two movies continue to parallel the OT as much as TFA then the rulebooks won't need any changes at all :)

It simply introduces players to the system using a setting that currently has a lot of interest.

I'm sure they'll have some bit of material discussing the highlights of each of the three product lines and how to determine which CRB is best for one's individual group.

And they don't have to get three Core books to move further into the game. They can pick up the core that most appeals to their campaign flavor. We played Edge of Empire for quite some time without the other two.

And they don't have to get three Core books to move further into the game. They can pick up the core that most appeals to their campaign flavor. We played Edge of Empire for quite some time without the other two.

Precisely.

I know folks that prefer to stick to EotE or AoR and not involve the other product lines at all.

To say nothing of the time when EotE was all that was available, and there are folks still running games using just that product line without so much as a glance towards AoR much less FaD.

That would be a big, expensive, yet awesome book.