The Force Awakens - but for which game?

By Lubricus, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

A new Beginner Box is nice and all, but I don't get if this is supposed to be stand-alone, tied to one of the existing games or a cross-over kind of thing. The box makes it look like a Force and Destiny thing, but the careers do not. I'm looking forward to more knowledge!

Yes, bring on the knowledge!

Definitely looks like a crossover. If there comes two downloadable characters (which there usually are) they can be the Force and Destiny characters.

By all things The Force I hope this is a one off for a Setting Book that crosses over the lines and not yet ANOTHER new rulebook. Because now I'm just annoyed at all these FFG games. Would it kill them to do era books?

Especially since many of us DO want the ENTIRE STAR WARS EXPERIENCE not just Age or Edge or Force. And now we have yet another one that's going to be a separate game. And darned skippy I'm interested in the Force Awakens era. Yet how much of this is going to be straight up repeat of old material. Probably going to be lucky to have more than 100 pages in the inevitable $60 rule book.

Yet those will be good pages, probably new races, maybe a few new talents, and all the new Hardware. But otherwise? Is it just going to end up some sort of crossover? Bleh

I'm thinking cross over. We have two from the EotE setting (Explorer and Colonist) and two from AoR (Ace Pilot and Soldier). I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the Force Users out as a way to bring a little bit of power balance to the game.

In addition, is this a sign for era books like previously suggested? Or just film books?

A little more information would be nice. Is this for the existing lines or are they actually planning on creating another whole new sytem. I'll be pretty disappointed if it's a fourth system, as that would pretty much just be a money grab that I don't think would serve any purpose.

A couple new beginner game type scenarios though in different environments would be cool. If they're just doing that I'll be happy. Perhaps as a lead in to some settings books.

Edited by Split Light

I hope it's era. I sincerely do. My poor bank account can't take this many lines!

I'd say this is more likely a gateway drug in the manner of the X-Wing release to get people interested more in the new films than the old ones (heretics) into the system. They're more likely to have it as a setting book than a full-on new release in my opinion.

I doubt it's a preview to an era book. Most likely this will introduce a new core rule book which will present the various rules from EoTE, AoR, and F&D in one book.

Actually, that seems like a much more likely theory - a unified system book in the 'modern' setting intended to bring in players only familiar with the new setting. How they'd divide up the species and careers would be a difficult thing to manage though.

Actually, that seems like a much more likely theory - a unified system book in the 'modern' setting intended to bring in players only familiar with the new setting. How they'd divide up the species and careers would be a difficult thing to manage though.

That's what I'm thinking too.

I doubt it's a preview to an era book. Most likely this will introduce a new core rule book which will present the various rules from EoTE, AoR, and F&D in one book.

Eh, that makes sense. Probably new mechanics for Duty/Obligation/Morality, plus new gear and planets. As for character options, it would probably be in the vein of two or three reprints (human, twi'lek and one other) with new species (especially the three introduced in TFA). I doubt they will reprint the careers, but may introduce new specializations or universal specializations (I would reckon some leadership or "npc" based tree would be nice) for the setting. Probably some more background information on what happened in the official story line.

I completely agree. I think we will have a book that includes all the setting, races, vehicles, ships, weapons, and equipment from The Force Awakens with an amalgam of already established careers and specializations.

Yep, I just finished reading the entire write up on the product page (always a good idea when doing research is to do all of your research) and this is what it says about where to go after playing the beginner game

" The Force Awakens Beginner Game makes for an excellent first step into the Star Wars universe, whether you’re a new or veteran roleplayer. You'll find the game's core mechanics presented in a fashion that's easy to learn as you go and that serve to carry you smoothly through the adventure Discovery on Jakku . Still, these are only your first steps, and there is a whole galaxy that you can enjoy. In fact, there are so many ways to enjoy the Star Wars galaxy, that Fantasy Flight Games has created three separate systems, all of which are fully compatible, but that each pursue a different experience within the Star Wars universe".

​So, just like Chimpy said, the seems to be a stand alone product. Still fun though :)

If it runs the same as the other three that would be two characters from all three with the last two downloadable versions perhaps being the Force & Destiny ones?

I wonder what map they'll be using?

Could really use another starship deckplan!

Edited by copperbell

Yea, it's been confirmed by the designers as a stand-alone product to help introduce people to the existing RPG books. I think it's a cool way to help get more people interested in the hobby.

It would be fun to have some sort of book(s) that included all the races, gear, etc. like some have mentioned.

While part of me is sad to not have a new game line, another is super excited to see the Abednedo, and I speculate that there may be new specialties coming for careers. With Jakku being the centerpiece, a scavenger (and rules for scavenging/breaking down components) could show up.

Abednedo!

I think it will just be a one-off gateway product.

-edit-

Confirmed:

https://twitter.com/Sam_B_Stewart/status/727899257659924480

(Hope that link works)

An era style book or set of books would be nice.

Yup thats pretty much what I was figuring. TFA does not have enough to warrant a new core book and theres no point in consolidating the current three since that would cut profits by making them obsolete. And honestly I like it that way. They each have a "flavor" and I appreciate that. Even if it does make it expensive and in places a bit redundant. I like the idea of a couple Adventure modules and maybe a locations/modification/bio type book for some of the newer stuff from TFA.

That said if they want my money for sure, they better be releasing that star map. With grids and distances so that its easier to determine flight time with ships. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Another clue was the product code. SWR is for all the "generic" items like dice, adversary decks, etc, etc.

My wallet can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

qspZX.gif

To be honest, I have zero interest in setting any RPG adventures/campaigns during the ST era at this time. Probably won't change until a few years after the third ST movie is released. Right now, TFA is such a derivative of the OT material that it just feels like the same stuff all over again. On top of that, there is very little material to pull from. The "new EU" has mostly been focused on OT era or stuff or story lines directly related to the main characters. Hopefully the next two movies will help to set the ST apart from the OT and PT and do the required "world-building", but right now, it just feels same-same. As it stands, this product is really just a shameless money grab by FFG to cash in on May the 4th Day and all the other Star Wars mania going on right now.

Edited by Otakuon

As it stands, this product is really just a shameless money grab by FFG to cash in on May the 4th Day and all the other Star Wars mania going on right now.

I suspect this is less FFG's doing, and more pressure from the House of Mouse.

I think having an adventure from this era (and more dice) is a great thing! I'm less concerned over the cost (because honestly, they don't MAKE you purchase it, either you have the funds and want it or don't) and more over new people getting involved in the hobby. It isn't like this is DLC to some unfinished game (a legit gamer gripe) but rather smart marketing by FFG. If more people get into the hobby, then there will be greater demand. Greater demand means more products. More products equals a happy me.

Whoa! Gonna be getting this one too. 6th set of dice, more maps, and another one-shot for me to run for new players to this awesome game!

Z