Where in th rules does it say you resuffle the adventure deck when exhausted?

By Uvatha, in Talisman Rules Questions

I can't find where it says the adventure deck once exhausted reshuffles its discard pile? I hope i just kept missing it. Can someone enlighten me where it is in the rules?

Simple answer....nowhere. I thought maybe it was in the Black Industries rules/faq but it is not there either. I even went back and looked through my 3rd edition rulebooks and it is not there either.

The rules talk a lot about discarding into the "discard pile" but never mention reshuffling them back in. Even in the Firelands where cards started being burned it is not mentioned about reshuffling the discard pile.

Strange. I don't think we have ever run out of cards but I know we always assumed if we did you shuffle the discard pile back together.....

It is mentioned though that we need to shuffle the Spell deck back together with all those discarded if you run out of spells.....

Thank god for that, thought I was going nutz there for a moment. Must add it to my house rule list :) .

Closest I could find about the adventure deck being reshuffled was out of the Cataclysm book, page 5

When a Remnant card is discarded, it is placed in the
Adventure deck discard pile. If the Adventure deck discard pile
is shuffled back into the Adventure deck, any Remnant cards
in the discard pile are also shuffled into the deck. After the
game ends, return these cards to the Remnant deck.

Closest I could find about the adventure deck being reshuffled was out of the Cataclysm book, page 5

When a Remnant card is discarded, it is placed in the
Adventure deck discard pile. If the Adventure deck discard pile
is shuffled back into the Adventure deck, any Remnant cards
in the discard pile are also shuffled into the deck. After the
game ends, return these cards to the Remnant deck.

Next question then: is there any adventure card the shuffles the adventure discard pile into the adventurer deck? I think there is one that does enemy isn't there?

You are thinking of Discordant Dirge, but that card does not shuffle them back into the adventure deck.

Provided the list from talismanwiki.com is correct and there are no such cards in Cataclysm (which I don't know, because we still don't have a card list),

there is no adventure card that does that.

So you would think that the reference to "If the Adventure deck discard pile is shuffled back into the Adventure deck, any Remnant cards in the discard pile are also shuffled into the deck" means the Adventure deck does in fact shuffled back into the Adventure deck?

Logic would assume that yes, the adventure deck discard pile, plus any other cards discarded into the adventure deck discard pile, would get reshuffled and put up as a new adventure deck.

Although, having a lot of adventure cards ( think i one most, if not all of them), so i can safely assume that the discard pile dose shuffle,

We exhausted the highland deck once and shuffled the discard pile, i cant imagine they would expect you to wander the lands with no new cards to draw.

We exhausted the highland deck once and shuffled the discard pile, i cant imagine they would expect you to wander the lands with no new cards to draw.

This is intuitive. But I remember that in some games, some of the similar decks are not shuffled.

So shuffling is intuitive, but not obvious. It should be stated somewhere (rulebook would be the best).

This is an amusing issue. I have sent a rule question to FFG, I wonder if, and how, they'll answer.

Ok, I've got answer from Derrick Fuchs.

Yes, the Adventure deck should be shuffled when it is exhausted.

Lol. It cracks me up when members of this forum look for super official answers for sometimes silly rules questions (not in this case but it happens a lot), and the official guy answers back "yup." As I've said before the members of this forum probably have more useful insight than the game makers since i assume we have all played it a lot more than the game makers.

Ok, I've got answer from Derrick Fuchs.

Yes, the Adventure deck should be shuffled when it is exhausted.

****, should of asked him for a new FAQ :) .

Wait... Is that his real name? Haha

Hah

Jesus, do you guys play any other games? In every single game that uses cards, the default option is to shuffle the discard pile once the deck is exhausted!

Jesus, do you guys play any other games? In every single game that uses cards, the default option is to shuffle the discard pile once the deck is exhausted!

Not in every one. I have learned it while playing other games.

Hence my use of the word 'default'.

What do you mean? Most of the card games I play at my house, you do not reshuffle the discard pile: Magic the Gathering, Guillotine, Exploding Kittens, Cards Against Humanity... list goes on and on. Only "standard" card games, i.e. Poker, Gin Rummy, etc., do you automatically shuffle.

With nothing written in the rules its hard for players to gather the designers thoughts on the matter. We don't know until it says so..

This most definitely should be written into the rules because we have effects that use the discard pile, effects to burn cards and other effects using different decks in combination of one another....