Incredibly Excited!!!!!

By Kyla, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Can't wait to see what we have coming! This now actually sets up the pattern that FFG will use for non-Civil War era play!

Wonder if Prequels are now in the pipe?

W​ell that really depends on how well this sells.

I definitely plan on buying a copy so who knows?

Cross your fingers if this sells well we might have a Clone Wars Beginner box set!

Rebels-Check(From Rancor Publishing Group

Force Awakens-Check

Clone Wars-Not yet

Old Republic-Not yet

I have slim hope that we will ever see much PT era stuff from FFG. Talking to the folks at FFG, it seems there is a combination of pressure from Disney and just their general pandering to the "PT Hate" meme that I don't think we will see this unless something drastic changes. If it was up to Disney, they would bury the PT and hope that people would think that it never existed. It's sad, but the PT haters, along with Disney, have pretty much ruined all things Star Wars that are not OT or ST material (including the EU).

The galaxy map and dice will make it a must have for me.

Can't wait to see what we have coming! This now actually sets up the pattern that FFG will use for non-Civil War era play!

Wonder if Prequels are now in the pipe?

I'd be surprised by that. I think the creative gaze of the Star Wars brand is firmly planted on the future. The Original Series is beloved, TFA seems to be joining it. The prequels don't enjoy the same affection.

If it was up to Disney, they would bury the PT and hope that people would think that it never existed. It's sad, but the PT haters, along with Disney, have pretty much ruined all things Star Wars that are not OT or ST material (including the EU).

That's a **** shame. Regardless of your position on the story and the acting, anyone who overlooks the amazing world building, art design, costume design, music and visual storytelling are **** fools. Lucas may be terrible with actors, but the flow and pacing of the some of the sequences is second to none. The opening moments of Sith, with the fighter flyby slowly expanding outward to show the scope of the battle is the perfect example of this.

I will defend E1-3 to my dieing breath as perfectly average movies with some great bits about them. They're uneven but not so much that I can’t enjoy them.

If it was up to Disney, they would bury the PT and hope that people would think that it never existed. It's sad, but the PT haters, along with Disney, have pretty much ruined all things Star Wars that are not OT or ST material (including the EU).

That's a **** shame. Regardless of your position on the story and the acting, anyone who overlooks the amazing world building, art design, costume design, music and visual storytelling are **** fools. Lucas may be terrible with actors, but the flow and pacing of the some of the sequences is second to none. The opening moments of Sith, with the fighter flyby slowly expanding outward to show the scope of the battle is the perfect example of this.

I will defend E1-3 to my dieing breath as perfectly average movies with some great bits about them. They're uneven but not so much that I can’t enjoy them.

100% with you!

That's a **** shame. Regardless of your position on the story and the acting, anyone who overlooks the amazing world building, art design, costume design, music and visual storytelling are **** fools.

But that's the thing. A movie like that, without a good story and acting, is like a beautiful body missing all its bones. It's an unappealing mess and, for me, makes them unwatchable.

To me this is an opportunity to redeem the PT.

Lord knows I'd love a beginner box set that highlighted the actual differences between the Republic and the Separatists especially as they wasn't comprised of only droids which is how it came across except when it dealt with Geonosians, the Trade Federation and the Banking Clans.

Just an opportunity to see clone war tech being used they already introduced droidekas and even clone troopers in that pirate queen adventure if I heard correctly.

I know the major problem is having actual Jedi involved which I consider an impediment rather than a bonus since most people would rather play them than any other character given its an era where they should be available.

What would you like to see in a PT era Beginner Box Set?

100% with you!

I think the prequel trilogy have a lot of interest. They certainly have faults but not enough to justify the hate thrown at them. They are certainly different and I think aimed more at kids. But they have a lot of exciting content and background detail that the OT never had. It's a shame that some of the acting and scripting was poor.

I think there is a hate "bandwagon". People in general love to jump on it. It becomes cool with the crowd to agree on how much they are disliked. This feeling gains momentum and affects other people who also think that's they way they should feel, and the consensus spreads. People become conditioned to think it's actual fact. It's quite sad, I think.

Note - I think this applies to many things in life, not just popular media. Positively and negatively.

I wish people would make up their own mind and ignore what other people think.

I watched TPM when it first came out. The disappointment I felt was quite severe. While the later two were a bit better not one of them "felt" like Star Wars. Everything felt off to me. TFA was definitely a happy return to form for me - yay :)

Anyway not trying to derail this thread, just trying to add my thoughts as to why a PT rule book seems very unlikely.

Well, if this does well, it could eventually lead to FFG testing the waters for other eras.

Even though the prequels are generally dismissed as "sub par" films, TCW proved to be quite popular, so maybe a Beginner Box adventure set during the Clone Wars could be a possibility?

I think there is a hate "bandwagon". People in general love to jump on it. It becomes cool with the crowd to agree on how much they are disliked. This feeling gains momentum and affects other people who also think that's they way they should feel, and the consensus spreads. People become conditioned to think it's actual fact. It's quite sad, I think.

Note - I think this applies to many things in life, not just popular media. Positively and negatively.

I wish people would make up their own mind and ignore what other people think.

That's the thing, sure the movies themselves were flawed from a "performance art" point of view, but as far as all the new content that they added to the Star Wars meta-verse goes, that can't be discounted. And as we are talking about RPGs here, that is the stuff we live and breath on as it give us ideas and material to work with and flesh out for our own adventures/campaigns. But there is very few people who take and objective, "whole picture" view of the PT. Because "everyone else" says it's bad, then it must be all bad. Also, the Clone Wars animated series was an amazing source of material as well (even for RPGs).

I watched TPM when it first came out. The disappointment I felt was quite severe. While the later two were a bit better not one of them "felt" like Star Wars. Everything felt off to me. TFA was definitely a happy return to form for me - yay :)

Anyway not trying to derail this thread, just trying to add my thoughts as to why a PT rule book seems very unlikely.

And the funny thing is, I had the exact opposite reaction. After watching TFA, I felt that the PT movies seemed more like "Star Wars" movies than TFA did. Say what you will, but when it comes to world building and story crafting (something we GMs respect), Lucas had that nailed and it is something that I find is sorely missing in TFA (which to me just feels like a regurgitation of ANH). Not saying that I don't think TFA is a "fun" or not a "good" movie. Just wished that it was more original (could of done without the whole Starkiller base is not the Death Star but is a bigger Death Star nonsense). Now, I am hoping that the next two movies will correct that and by the end of the trilogy we will end up with 9 complete films that ALL feel like "Star Wars" movies.

Edited by Otakuon

Oh definitely agree that TFA played it very safe by making sure they hit all the nostalgia notes. And yeah the starkiller base was totally egregious. The empire shouldn't be more powerful now?!

But the tone was right. It felt swashbuckling and playful that the PT never achieved IMO, so we have some agreement and disagreement :)

P.S. Also curious as to where things go next.

Okay, one last point and I'll shut up on the Off Topic:

Okaaaaay - one last one.

But the tone was right. It felt swashbuckling and playful that the PT never achieved IMO, so we have some agreement and disagreement :)

Here's the thing for me. I'll admit that E7 was a good movie, but I didn't think it was a very good Star Wars movie. It didnt feel right. It didn't feel like the other six.

Good video Desslok. That pretty much sums up how I feel. Especially considering that the narrator is roughly the same age group as myself.

That's a **** shame. Regardless of your position on the story and the acting, anyone who overlooks the amazing world building, art design, costume design, music and visual storytelling are **** fools.

But that's the thing. A movie like that, without a good story and acting, is like a beautiful body missing all its bones. It's an unappealing mess and, for me, makes them unwatchable.

You're right in many ways, they are lacking many qualities of good movies. But for RP that's irrelevant. They had good world building and that's what matters for RPing, so good movies, maybe not, good settings for RPing, definitely.

I suppose I'm in a minority, I grew up with the original trilogy, and I loved the prequels, I loved the Clone Wars TV show too. Did I like everything about the prequels? No, of course not, but the same could be said of the Originals, too. Yoda's introduction was pretty far to the 'cutesy' side of the scale as were the Ewoks. Of course Jar Jar Binks was annoying in the prequels, but he wasn't so bad that the movies became unwatchable. If you're going to go after the performances in the prequels, don't forget the scene on Endor between Luke and Leia when he asks about her mother. That was the worst performed scene in the entire trilogy! Not to mention that the Lightsaber battles in the original trilogy were crap compared to the ones in the prequels, also the space battles in A New Hope and The Empire Strikes back were pretty weak. They didn't hit their stride until Return of the Jedi.

Both trilogies have things to love and things to hate, I just don't understand the prequel haters. The only explanation in my mind is that they've let themselves be blinded by nostalgia. People seem to forget that these movies were always targeting a younger audience, which is why we have the Ewoks and Jar Jar. Young kids love Ewoks and Jar Jar! They aren't my cup of tea, and I find it kind of offensive that a bunch of primitive teddy bears can defeat the highly advanced war machines of the Galactic Empire, but you rarely hear any complaints about that, lol.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the two trilogies, but I would like to see a setting (era?) sourcebook for the Clone Wars. I've always preferred the Galactic Civil War era, but I wouldn't mind dipping my toes in some other periods too!

For me it's because even with the prequel trilogy it took a while before I could poke holes in its plot.

TFA is the first movie where I could tell where they went wrong whilst WATCHING the movie for the first time!

Poe & Finn meet for the first time, I thought this is GREAT!

They separate Poe & Finn then have Rey singlehandedly pilot a ship and outfly some TIEs with no real practical experience and then the rest of the movie making a mess of her role in the movie!

Keep Poe involved he takes them to Han resolves this issue and she can still pull off some amazing stuff provided they drop kick that mystery box into touch first!

Starkiller Base was wasted, just throw in a line that it was the prototype for the Death Stars and Tarkin went with two other versions as it took decades to get SKB operational see that works much better!

Sigh I'm obviously thinking too much about this!

So a farm boy, who we see pilot nothing but a land speeder, manages to pilot a military craft and destroy a superweapon. - legit.

Scavenger who seems to know a lot about how ships work and cites she is a pilot out-flies two TIE Fighters - problem.

How about I raise up Anakin, a 9 year old kid who is somehow an expert pilot who can race podraces, direct quote: "I'm the only human who can do it."

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you displaying a bit of a double standard there copperbell? Criticism like that is there not because she is a bad character (because by that assertion, Luke is also a bad character) but merely because she's a woman, there, I said it. I thought it was a fun movie, had its problems, but no problems with the characters, especially Rey because we don't know everything about her, we don't even know her past. All we know is that she was abandoned on Jakku.

Edited by Ebak

As one of my friends pointed out, the only 'downside' of this box is that it doesn't really match with the other boxes on the art department. For the other 3 boces, they've used original art, but for this one they've gone with movie stills. While it doesn't really bother me, I do have to agree with him that this box feels somewhat like the odd man out because of it. Wouldn't have mind to see some nice TFA art that hasn't been used yet. (This was actually one of my pet peeves with the Special Modifications book, in that they used art from the Essential Species Guide instead of creating their own.)

But from a marketing standpoint, I completely understand why they did it. Just looking at the box from afar, you can immediately tell it's The Force Awakens. Seems like THE perfect product to get new people into the game, especially younger people who just got introduced to Star Wars through TFA. :)

The problem is it wasn't necessary to her to be that over the top, yes she's a kickass character but you've got the making of a good trio and they settled for two.

If I heard correctly we're lucky JJ decided to keep Poe involved instead of letting the character being killed off that early in the movie.

We already have plenty of problems with the prequels, whilst others were making comparisons with ANH I was more interested in the characters and thanks to the Star Trek Reboot really wish they hadn't destroyed Star Killer Base when it could have been used as a call back later in the trilogy.

Looking forward to this new release, now I just have to pick up the new Bloodlines novel!