Deck Building 101 - help a new player out

By emmjay, in Deck Building

Thanks to a local FLGS employee, I finally played (and learned how to play) my first couple of games of aGoT. I fell in love instantly with the game, and have bought 2x core as well as 1 of every expansion. What I am asking is the following:

1. Are there any general guidelines as to how to construct a deck %'s, gold curve, copies of cards, that sort of thing?

2. The 7 cards in your plot deck, banner, and agenda, do they count to the minimum 60 card deck limit?

3. Are there any beginner, yet viable, lists out there? For example in X-Wing a new player would be suggested to play 4x Y-Wing w/TLT, or 2 large turret ships. Something easy to play and learn. Rather than something that requires tons of skill and knowlege like Imperial Aces or TIE Swarm.

4. It is advisable to go with a house and another banner, or are single house builds really viable?

Any other good advice for a new player who has 2 weeks to get ready for his first tourney, and 30 days to his first regional?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks to a local FLGS employee, I finally played (and learned how to play) my first couple of games of aGoT. I fell in love instantly with the game, and have bought 2x core as well as 1 of every expansion. What I am asking is the following:

1. Are there any general guidelines as to how to construct a deck %'s, gold curve, copies of cards, that sort of thing?

2. The 7 cards in your plot deck, banner, and agenda, do they count to the minimum 60 card deck limit?

3. Are there any beginner, yet viable, lists out there? For example in X-Wing a new player would be suggested to play 4x Y-Wing w/TLT, or 2 large turret ships. Something easy to play and learn. Rather than something that requires tons of skill and knowlege like Imperial Aces or TIE Swarm.

4. It is advisable to go with a house and another banner, or are single house builds really viable?

Any other good advice for a new player who has 2 weeks to get ready for his first tourney, and 30 days to his first regional?

Many thanks in advance.

For a new deck builder you typically want to play 8-9 limited cards, 32-36 characters, 9-12 events and no more that 10 attachments. You also want to shoot for 4 card set ups if possible. As far as plots, you want at least 2 - 3 economy plots. Once you get the hang of it you can start messing with those numbers.

Your Plot deck is separate from your draw deck and your house/agenda cards are separate as well.

Every faction can win right now but as far as ease of play, I find the Lanisters, Tyrell and the Barathions tend to have synergy with themselves rather simply. Personally, I find Martell and the Watch to seem to be the more difficult decks to play. The core rule book has some decent demo decks to try and going to cardgamedb.com you can find a host of decks to try out to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the different factions.

Single house decks are viable if you get the full collection or go Stark with their box set, but banner vs fealty is still fairly hotly debated.

Advise to get better, play, play, play, and the cardgamedb.com beginners forum board.

3 Roseroads

3 Kingsroads

3 Faction-specific 0-cost reducing location (or event in NW's case)

3 Faction-specific 1-cost reducing character

with the fealty agenda will this allow you to play a bit with the 3x roseroads and 3x kingsroads or is it not worth the risk? (trying to construct 1st deck atm)

You can but you need to be careful of the number of large cost cards. With fewer economy locations your deck gets less consistent. Heck with the right plots you could go none at all. For deck building, it's more important to play games and try things than have the perfect deck to start.