Necropolis and 2 graveyards, and denizen questions

By Neil 666, in Talisman Rules Questions

Last night I played a game with all the small expansions (Reaper, Frostmarch, Sacred Pool, Firelands, Harbinger) and the Cataclysm and a few questions came up:

a. I drew and encountered the Necropolis (adventure card) but there were 2 graveyards on the board (the board space with denizens and a graveyard terrain card)

Do I get the option to either visit a denizen on the board space or roll to pray/regain fate on the terrain card? (I was evil)

b. If you visit a denizen without visiting the space where they are (like above) do they still get discarded after visiting them? (if they normally would be)

c. Once the denizen deck is empty, does the denizen discard pile get shuffled to make a new deck?

D. The 'Dead Magic' cataclysm card was drawn and encountered, but does this stay on the space for 3 turns? (according to the Cataclysm rulebook all events should be discarded)

Many thanks, Neil

We also had lots of confusion (again) over the omen cards: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/197461-harbinger-omen-cards-continuous-or-one-off-effects/#entry1965980

Edited by Neil 666

Jon will be the best to ask or perhaps Matthew can help!

A) Same Issue with the Burial Rites spell but with some little differences.With Necropolis (adventure card) you can choose what graveyard effect you want to use because there are two different types so you can draw a denizen or pray. As for Burial Rites that's a real stinker because if a graveyard terrain card is not out (assuming to its night) you have to wait because you can not pray at the graveyard (cataclysm board).

B) From Cataclysm rules under Denizens "Denizens can only be visited if a card or board space instructs a character to do so" if a board space does instruct you to visit a Denizen then yes they get discarded (unless it says they don't or do something instead of discarding on the Denizen card itself or the trait on the Denizen card matches the name of the space the character is currently on or the Denizen has the “Any” trait.

C) From Cataclysm rules under Mixing Expansions Cards Remaining on Spaces "Event cards are discarded after they are encountered and their effects are resolved" so it says in play until its effect is resolved thus after the 3 turns.

Edited by Uvatha

Thanks for the answers Uvatha, that's the way I played the cards.

Just these 2 issues I'm unsure about now:

Once the denizen deck is empty, does the denizen discard pile get shuffled to make a new deck?

We also had lots of confusion (again) over the omen cards: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/197461-harbinger-omen-cards-continuous-or-one-off-effects/#entry1965980

I'm pretty sure the denizen cards would get shuffled to make a new deck, but the omen cards caused loads of arguments last night.

I'll see if Jon drops by before contacting him.

Edited by Neil 666

Whoops its on page 5 cataclysm rules you always draw a denizen if asked to roll at a space that now draws a denizen even if there is a normal space in play of that name. Well there you go that fixes burial rites as well.

In the denizen deck reshuffling there is nothing in the rules about it maybe it doesnt ever get reshuffled? It says the talisman deck now does because now you draw a talisman. Who knows if this was a error or by design.

There also nothing in the City rules what do once you run out of wanted posters. (Just one other example.)

Pretty sure it was either forgotten or they did not think anyone would come up with the idear to treat those cards differently in this regard.

About the Omen cards - I thought after the previous thread, everything was resolved?

Or do you still need/want someone to confirm what you wrote down for every one of them?

There also nothing in the City rules what do once you run out of wanted posters. (Just one other example.)

Pretty sure it was either forgotten or they did not think anyone would come up with the idear to treat those cards differently in this regard.

About the Omen cards - I thought after the previous thread, everything was resolved?

Or do you still need/want someone to confirm what you wrote down for every one of them?

I didn't realize that the wanted poster deck did not say the same. Is there something somewhere that classes all decks the same in this regard?

Whoops its on page 5 cataclysm rules you always draw a denizen if asked to roll at a space that now draws a denizen even if there is a normal space in play of that name. Well there you go that fixes burial rites as well.

Well spotted, I must of missed that.

I was (incorrectly) choosing between rolling on the terrain card graveyard or visiting a denizen on the board graveyard.

I'm pretty sure they're correct now. I edited them after Warlock's original post and changed a couple after my game the other night.

But if anybody could confirm they're right it would be a great help.

Cheers, Neil

Edited by Neil 666

@ Uvatha: No clue, I'll have to read the whole pile (again^^) to see if I can find anything.

---

@ Neil:

Well, the only thing that did catch my eye from the previous list was: [already changed the colored wording]

STARS ALIGN

5.BURNT AWAY.
a.The Spell limit of each character is increased by 1. - CONTINUOUS
b.Each character must lose 1 life for each of his Spells and then discard all of his Spells. - ONE-OFF

And I guess I don't have to add the following, but I kind of felt like I should: :)

SHATTERED WORLD

7.SHARDS OF THE OLD WORLD.
a.Replace the text of each space not in the Inner Region or containing a Terrain card with: "Lose 1 Life Then Draw 1 Card"
Do not draw a card if there is already one in this space. - ONE-OFF (But the effect stays in play indefinitely of course.)

a.Replace the text of each space not in the Inner Region or containing a Terrain card with: "Lose 1 Life Then Draw 1 Card"

Do not draw a card if there is already one in this space. - ONE-OFF (But the effect stays in play indefinitely of course.)

I don't understand why this effect would stay in play once the omen is discarded.

Actually, that's a good one right there. If the effect is considered to be continuous, I would be wrong.

Well, it is kind of a one-off effect, but is it considered to be continuous (since the change does not revert) by the game rules or not?

Edited by Lorinor

STARS ALIGN

5.BURNT AWAY.

a.The Spell limit of each character is increased by 1. - CONTINUOUS

b.Each character must lose 1 life for each of his Spells and then discard all of his Spells. - ONE-OFF

Yes, I certainly got that one wrong! (I've changed it on my list)

I don't understand why this effect would stay in play once the omen is discarded.

If this omen card was discarded it would be game over as it's the last omen card, but a discarded omen card could be put on top of it. If this happened the spaces would revert back to normal.

I've changed it to continuous on my list as that makes more sense than one-off (otherwise terrain cards could be put on the 'Lose 1 life...' spaces)

Many thanks for helping me sort these out, I'm pretty sure they're correct now. :)

Found the wanted poster not reshuffling it's because the wanted poster deckis a shop deck and when discarded theyare placed at the bottom of the wanted poster deck.

Now i have another problem. I can't find where it says the adventure deck once exhausted reshuffles its discard pile? I hope i just kept missing it. Can someone enlighten me where it is in the rules?

Are wanted posters a shop deck?

So it is, interesting, good pickup

So it is, interesting, good pickup

:)

Might not be in there but you've really got no choice lol

No choice of what?

How in the world can you go through the entire adventure deck when you have all expansions? I don't think we've even come close, like not even 20% of the cards are used... ever! Only in an expansion does this come close, and yes, we reshuffle, but I don't know the official rules on this tbh.

No choice of what?

It's either reshuffle the discard pile or cruise around not drawing cards, which would be pretty terrible gameplay.

No choice of what?

It's either reshuffle the discard pile or cruise around not drawing cards, which would be pretty terrible gameplay.

Yeah but you would think its in there somewhere?