Tons of Free Artwork for your Scenario - tips from the experts (at GIMP, photoshop and Paint Shop Pro)

By Emirikol, in WFRP Gamemasters

People overwhelmingly like artwork in their scenarios (including fan-scenarios), but obviously creating it from scratch is not usually time-wise. Therefore, I'd like to discuss tips from those of you who know how to use GIMP (free), Photoshop, and Paint Shop Pro for inclusion of ALTERED generic artwork into scenarios.

Here's a quick method for doing 2e-style black-white artwork from a picture that I'll use for an NPC:

now+npc.jpg Here's the original: john_stewart_cuff_links.jpg

Anyways, here's how I did it:

1. Crop to the right size (usually just the head)

2. Brighten the photo a little

3. Reduce to 2-colors (black & white)

4. Add some facial hair or alter the eyebrows.

That's about it. It's quick and can get you pictures for your NPC's.

Copyright's matter, so always alter well beyond the 25% threshhold (called the Warhol threshold). I'd also recommend that you avoid using ACTUAL WFRP art in your FAN SCENARIO, unless deformed beyond reason because people would be more hypersensitive about something like that here.

Any thoughts from the rest of you on doing locations and maps?

jh

Andy Law made a great mapping tutorial back in the day.

http://hapimeses.com/tutorial.htm

(edit - fixed the link)

thanks for the advice Emirikol.

what a smart way of using basic tools, I would never figure out that the altered picture was jon Steward, imaginen what I could do to Jessica alba or Angelina, with a quick click.

this forum never ceases to stop supporting their players and gamemasters. And how many helpful persons we have here. this is a privileged forum.

loved your idea. gonna try it right now. gran_risa.gif

Deviantart.com is a great place to pull fantasy art from as well. I greatly improved the lack of npc art from "An eye for an eye" from there.