Unit discussion: Rune Golems

By phalgast, in BattleLore

Hey folks

I thought it would be interesting to argue about some specific Units. Let's begin with the Rune Golems :

Abilities:

Stunning blow is actually the best token-effect in the game. It's just a pity that all tokens are quite easy to remove. Still a strong ability.

Immovable makes Golems to my favorite defend-unit to guard a key-hex. It's a big mission to remove them in one round from their hex.

strategic use:

Golems are generally a defensiv unit with very regular stats. They feel much more comfortable guarding a hex then attacking themselves. But they are also able to attack and thanks to the stunning blow they may even attack enemy legends, preventing a counter of the enemy unit. The very best place for our Golems is in a building. The damage saving of the building in combination with immovable is just a powerhouse. They compete in the slot particularly with Ironbounds. It's a choice between equals, better attack and dammage protection of ironbounds or stun-effect and immovable by the Golems. Rune Golems are never a bad choice.. feel free to select them whenever you want

Edited by phalgast

All the stats of all the units are constant to the specific unit type. I.e., the sum S of "movement + attack + hitpoints" is keyed to the unit level. All legends have S=11 (unless they are Dragons, but Dragons have another mustering cost), all Infantry-Archers have S=7, and so on (or, at least, mostly; I never updated my tables with the gamma version of cards, so, maybe there could be a 1-point swing here and there, but generally speaking, there's a clear design in the stats). So, evaluating the stats for Rune Golem has no sense, unless it's the effectiveness of the distribution of points (you may want to value higher movement over higher attack, and so on), but this is situational, keyed to the specific scenario and to the type of army you're deploying.

As for the strategic use of Golems: yeah, put them into buildings and good luck, they can win you easily the game. This is when the Chaos Lord comes in handy (if we talk of core game rules) because you may want to score those additional flags to remove the guys from the buildings.

All the stats of all the units are constant to the specific unit type. I.e., the sum S of "movement + attack + hitpoints" is keyed to the unit level. All legends have S=11 (unless they are Dragons, but Dragons have another mustering cost), all Infantry-Archers have S=7, and so on (or, at least, mostly; I never updated my tables with the gamma version of cards, so, maybe there could be a 1-point swing here and there, but generally speaking, there's a clear design in the stats). So, evaluating the stats for Rune Golem has no sense, unless it's the effectiveness of the distribution of points (you may want to value higher movement over higher attack, and so on), but this is situational, keyed to the specific scenario and to the type of army you're deploying.

As for the strategic use of Golems: yeah, put them into buildings and good luck, they can win you easily the game. This is when the Chaos Lord comes in handy (if we talk of core game rules) because you may want to score those additional flags to remove the guys from the buildings.

Obvius, you are so right, i didn't get that in mind before. So I changed the topic, at least without a rating :D

if we talk of core game rules

What do you mean with this? I didn't see that rules for Chaos Lord were changed?

Edited by phalgast

Sorry it wasn't clear. I was suggesting the Chaos Lors as possibly the only Uthuk alternative against the Rune Golems in buildings if we look at the core set only units. You can do some more things with Waiqar units, for example (like swapping positions by triggering specific abilities), and so on

Also, don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty a good idea to have threads specific to different units and see the different strategies of players using them. I'm gonna follow all the debates with the maximum attention (it's like retro-engineering, and I wanna know what I might have missed so far)

I've found that the golems serve as a kind of "super-death knight" as stun has similar effects to executioner, but is better since they have to pay two and can't counter.

I love Rune Golems. I don't think there's a better unit on the blue team for defending and holding hexes. When paired with an archer on a hill, your opponent will have to spend considerable resources to move that rock.