Do you think they can realistically release expansions for this

By Ou1975, in Star Wars: Rebellion

My gaming buddies and I were talking about this right now it seems extremely well-balanced even down to the size of the decks of cards if they even added 10 cards per mission deck when that most likely mess up time it takes to get to that one cards really need to win

Any expansion would have to swap out old cards for new ones. For example, a SW: Rebels expansion might swap Obi-Wan for Kanan, Luke for Ezra, etc.

I would like to see new tactic cards with two decks, one Imperial and one Rebel. Not only for flavor reasons but because it's a hassle to share a deck of tiny cards over that huge gameboard.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

Odd as this is, but I think there could be a potential for a vader action card to kill a subordinate to recruit a new one. Not only is this thematic to the game (trading Ozzel for Piett), but there could be some strategy of dumping not-working commanders if you need to change your strategy.

Not certain about new unit potential, but in the very least Interdictors could be a thing for the Empire to use in place of assault carriers? No transport potential but they could do 2 black, 1 red, hit on blacks with a health of 3 or something.

But yeah, I think expansion potential could come about with more characters and maybe swapping cards in the victory deck (like "you must select x number of I cards, y number of II cards, etx").

Not likely. This seems to be a stand alone board game. At best, new cards may be added.

I agree with the idea that any expansions will involve replacements rather than additions.

As awesome as the idea of killing a leader with Vader is, I'm not sure it would be balanced, as let's face it your going to use it straight away to kill General Tagge. He's a starting Leader so his poor stats are probably there to balance out the starting Vader and Palpatine.

The common thought is that if there is an expansion, it will be MUCH further in teh future, possibly after a re-release, (think Twilight Imperium). Any expansion will probably be one of two things. Either A) more/new/different cards or 2) a third faction, (ie Scum and Villainy). I have also heard the thought of taking the board and changing all the moving parts to place the game in different eras, but, I am not sure about that one. I can almost guarantee they will NOT be adding more miniatures or adding board sections. Adding miniatures adds nothing to the game and making the board BIGGER, (really? isn't it big enough), would drastically change the dynamic of the game.

At first I thought that there was no way they could add a 3rd faction. Then I thought about it more, and I think that adding a S&V type faction could be really interesting. Adding a neutral faction could do a few things, including bringing in trade, negotiations, and some light politics, bringing it closer to a TI style game. They could have action cards and missions that can effect both sides, and negotiate with the other players (let me take that system or I will do X, Y, or Z. If you give it to me, I will do A, B, or C instead). Some ideas:

- S&V leaders can be added to a mission to oppose a mission played by either side

- a mission or action that allows you to find the region the rebel base is in, then either sell that info to the Empire or blackmail the rebels with it

- some resource benefit for non-populous systems, but I would say a total force smaller than the rebels, but make the individual ships very powerful

- smuggler missions that could grant resources or deployment to a system that has opposing forces on it

- a win condition that requires establishing a smuggling/criminal network on X populous planets, and make very rare missions or actions that grant those outposts, the rest have to be bargained for.

- a S&V "win" doesn't end the game, they just win along with the Imps or Rebs

The more I think about, the more intriguing it gets.

I would say that the tweks that could be done would be:

- New map/board and new probe deck (to make alterations in production for planets, movement restrictions, galaxy size, and handicap for one side or the other if the board is double sided)

- Changing the agents skills

- Changing the different carddecks tweks to missions/action/objectives/projects

- Adding scum faction with their own objective cards and point counter

But most of these would probably make a better 2nd edition of the game

I would probably only pay for a an upgrade instead of a 2nd if it was gameboard or new card decks, adding more plastic or a 3rd faction would not add to the game play IMO.

A new gameboard would require a change to the length of the game as there would be more places for the rebels to hide. And it isn't a linear progression.

The specifics aside, I would expect the original business pitch for a new game like Rebellion to include fleshed-out (not developed or tested yet) ideas for expansions, probably several. They'd have to know with a hot IP like Star Wars that this would sell enough to warrant an expansion. For the designers to leave themselves nowhere to go in such an expansion doesn't seem to be a very smart business practice.

In short, it would be hard to assume there isn't going to be an expansion.

Besides there is a whole lot of OT material missing, like Jabba and his minions. I'd severely doubt we'd get a scum faction here, but to run around on Tatooine and Nal Hutta without some influence from Jabba seems to overlook a bulk of the story.

In the future, I'm hoping for an expansion that adds a lot more units to the game. All they would need to do is come with their own player sheet to give their stats. I'd like Tie Interceptors, Bombers, A & B-wings, Frigates, etc. They could also add additional leaders without much trouble.

I don't really see adding a 3rd faction that's playable. I could see them adding units or areas that are not neutral but pirate/crime organization controlled. To use those systems you need to either conquer them or negotiate with them. That would add an interesting dynamic. But those wouldn't be controlled by anyone. The main problem with 1 v 1 v 1 is you get the eventual gang up. Even with different win scenarios, inevitably one player starts to weaken and the other two pounce and gang up on them until they have no chance of winning. Then they battle it out. Its really hard to balance that way.

Edited by Jo Jo

No.

Units or a 3rd faction are pretty much a no go. Adding to the board is not going to happen. All of that stuff messes with the balance that exists in the game as is. Anything along these lines are demented pipe dreams with no basis in reality. I get it, I do, expansions are fun, spending 12 times the original price of the game to get everything is a blast, but it's not likely in this game.

The one thing you could do without immediately destroying the essence of the game is adding leaders (along with their associated action/mission cards) or some additional cards to various decks (missions, projects, objectives). I'm sad that the rebels don't have an objective to destroy X hp worth of units to get a VP and have Vader kill the Imp leader for failure.

The problem here is that even seemingly minor additions to these decks throws things off.

Consider 4 new leaders to each faction, plus 6 missions (so 10 missions total). You've now messed with the balance of the mission decks. The rebels who relied on getting secret attack missions to strike behind enemy lines in unexpected ways now have a smaller chance of pulling those essential cards. You've also made it less likely for the Imps to pull their cards to mess with captured leaders.

Expanding into either the Ep1-3 or Ep7-9 realm doesn't make much sense. You'd need all new cards/decks, units, leaders. At that point the only thing you aren't making is a board, and even that would force them to design a game that works with this board...which would be dumb.

The better option would be to create 2 entirely new games based on this concept.

Star Wars: Clone Wars - Game spanning Ep1-3. A race between the separatists and republic. The republic needs to crush the separatists before order 66 is triggered. The separatists are trying to trigger certain events that cause order 66 to happen sooner. The game would have more stress on the combat side of things as the sides were a little more evenly split. All new leaders, units, missions etc taking inspiration from the movies and the cartoon series. Shoot for a 2018 release date.

Then follow that up with Star Wars: Resistance - Game spanning Ep7-9. Kind of hard to tell how this would play out as we still have 2 movies to go. But I think you get the idea. Shoot for a 2020 release date.

If each of the three had the same basic principles, but different experiences due to new mechanics, different goals, and a whole slew of new missions, it would make three distinct but similar games.

The only thing they could do to keep balance intact if they added more cards would be a way for you to mill your mission deck somehow

I hope they sell a dice pack in the future. I'd love a 2nd set of dice. It gets pretty annoying to exchange dice back and forth, especially if there is a pretty large combat taking place. It would really speed up the combat flow.

As much as I would love to see alternate universe cards (Jedi Leia) or expanded Universe characters Kyle Katarn ....

I gotta be honest, with the 3-4 hours needed to play this game, I really do not want anything else added to it.

This game is hard enough to get to the table as it is.

I believe this game will have an expansion. In particular to add some Jedi/Sith events, may be few units. But anything really seems to be rather replacement,

What's about adding 2x more mission cards and allowing to choose a set for the game, like in LCG?

Edited by VDmitry

No.

Units or a 3rd faction are pretty much a no go. Adding to the board is not going to happen. All of that stuff messes with the balance that exists in the game as is. Anything along these lines are demented pipe dreams with no basis in reality.

You're making the argument that this game currently exists in the only state of balance that is possible. But why is that necessarily the case?

I find his lack of creativity disturbing. XD

I see little benefit from most forms of expansion compared to how some games can gain. I see more likelihood and benefit for producing other related games using the same mechanics - be that a Resistance vs First Order game, or maybe a reversed type of Sith vs Republic where the Sith are rebel-like in trying to run missions to topple the powerful Republic. Or something generic out in the OUter rims of Empire vs pirates, or even in a novel/different world setting - I could see a Chaos vs Old World Warhammer game on the same core concept for example.

On the base game - a new card set, or expanded missions is perfectly possible - will it add much, don't know. New Units is a possible - be that swap ins or add ons. All perfectly possible but how much is it needed is what I am dubious on.

FOr the effort to produce an expansion you might as well go the whole hog and do a new game.

New units? Not a chance, they are too simple to wedge units inbetween. 3rd faction? The board is already cluttered enough already.

The only expansion(s) we'll see are new missions/actions and leaders. Maybe some kind of scenario sheets that give the imps and rebs X units with Y leaders and certain objectives different from the core game.

New units? Not a chance, they are too simple to wedge units inbetween. 3rd faction? The board is already cluttered enough already.

The only expansion(s) we'll see are new missions/actions and leaders. Maybe some kind of scenario sheets that give the imps and rebs X units with Y leaders and certain objectives different from the core game.

All you have to do is change all the stats for all the ships and then you have room.

Personally I don't really care if they do an expansion or not. I do like the game as is and can play it as is for years.

I think the could release an expansion with things like an A-Wing/TIE Interceptor which could still roll one black dice and have a reroll of the black dice as an ability, the B-Wing/TIE Bomber with the same but with a red dice. The only issue here I see is how would it be constructed? Bit too powerful for one blue triangle, how about two triangles in total? But then may not work due to conflict of build queue position. Maybe construction via a mission would be the best way around it.

Could also bring in a Neb-B and something else similar for the Imps.

I think the could release an expansion with things like an A-Wing/TIE Interceptor which could still roll one black dice and have a reroll of the black dice as an ability, the B-Wing/TIE Bomber with the same but with a red dice. The only issue here I see is how would it be constructed? Bit too powerful for one blue triangle, how about two triangles in total? But then may not work due to conflict of build queue position. Maybe construction via a mission would be the best way around it.

Could also bring in a Neb-B and something else similar for the Imps.

Edited by Zogwort

Well while I don't find it the least bit surprisingly that there is a lot of opposition for expansions to this board game I find the reasons stated in opposition to be rather silly and over all weak in argument. Many people are claiming that this asymmetrical game is "perfectly balanced" which I will say often with asymmetrical games that doesn't tend to be the case. Sure at first one side seems to win then as players gain familiarity with the game the balance shifts to the other side until the meta is hashed out.

Still I can think of way better reasons than "balance" for opposition to expansions. The ~$100 price tag on base game for example. Still for expansions the following are what I could see possible to expand the game.

• Board extensions: Especially on the other side of Correscuant.
  • Different Units (so you could chose what unit to purchase with what resource)
  • Heroes, Maybe even add in a political sub-faction which deals with objectives for adding a 3 person team for a 5-6 player game.
  • mission/strategy/tactical cards of course.

Well I already made one thread about ideas for new units in an expansion. you can find the thread HERE .

Edited by Marinealver