Rogue Trader's 'Exceptional Leader'

By Errant, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Personally, this ability bothers me. Not really sure why, it just does. It seems odd that the RT would be able to give an inspiring speech or whatever every few seconds. So, I propose an alternate ability, 'Inspiring Presence'.

The Rogue Trader automatically grants an additional degree of success to any action in which he is directly aiding another person. In addition, once per game session the Rogue Trader may make an inspiring speech that allows another person who can hear the Rogue Trader's voice to make a re-roll on a failed check as if they had spent a fate point to do so. This result is final and fate points may not be spent on the same action.

Anyone see an issue with this that I've missed?

You may need to quantify 'directly aiding'. Would pointing out enemies to the arch-militant count?

"Six o' clock! Top left! Reload!"

How about holding a torch for the explorator making a tech-use check, or would he have to actually be in there fiddling with wires and chanting prayers?

Also, many actions don't depend on degrees of success. Firing a pistol, making a melee attack or steering the spaceship generally just need a sucess.

As i see it, the RT is just an exceptionally good micromanager and effective communicator. He notices actually helpful things and can point them out quickly enough to not be distracting.

You may need to quantify 'directly aiding'. Would pointing out enemies to the arch-militant count?

"Six o' clock! Top left! Reload!"

Honestly, I was mostly pondering using it as a way to encourage my Rogue Trader player into actually roleplaying more. As it stands, he basically just hangs back until it's his turn to act, be it shooting or making a knowledge check or what have you; I figured that if I encouraged him to take the forefront and tell his supposed crew what to do, it would help him to get into the swing of things.