Sleep in game

By Radish, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

How do you guys handle sleep or the lack there of? We are running into a situation where the players are trying to race against time at the expense of sleeping and I'm not sure what game play effect that would have since the rule book doesn't really touch on it. Looking at it realistically after 24 hours of being awake they would be starting to be showing symptoms of sleep deprivation and at 36 it would become much more severe. I'm assuming fatigue damage or something but I'm not sure at how many hours and how much.

For each night that the characters don't sleep, I would inflict two automatic levels of Fatigue. The longest record for going without sleep is 11 days. This was a good mark to base the 2 levels of Fatigue on - since most pcs will die from doubling their Fatigue threshold by then. Considering too that after a character exceeds their Fatigue threshold they pass out unconscious and revert their Fatigue to a level equal to their Toughness Bonus, it would take extraordinary reasons for them ever coming close to dying from sleep deprivation (skilled torturers could keep them up, certainly the Dark Eldar, as well as certain drugs and consumables.)

The 'forced marching' rules include a few options for 'pushing on' for more than a standard working day - that may be useful too, depending on whether they're simply not sleeping or are actually running/fighting/working through the night.

The 'forced marching' rules include a few options for 'pushing on' for more than a standard working day - that may be useful too, depending on whether they're simply not sleeping or are actually running/fighting/working through the night.

Hmm that sounds like a good rule to base it on.

Thanks guys!