Let's Talk About Expansions: (Units)

By Marinealver, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Adding additional unit types to this game adds no real value to it.

This is a game happening on a strategic theater, the units and ships all represent large bodies of troops an equipment. A single Stormtrooper already represents Speeder Bikes, as we are talking about a whole Stormtrooper Division, not an individual or small squad. I mean come on do you not get at what level of operation this game is taking place at?

Furthermore, there isn't enough combat in this game to make a bunch of extra unit types worthwhile. They just won't matter.

I expect an expansion for this like most FFG games, but it isn't going to involve adding extra unit types to a game that operates in the full galaxy theatre of things. I don't think the OP understands this game at all.

Edited by ScottieATF

Adding additional unit types to this game adds no real value to it.

This is a game happening on a strategic theater, the units and ships all represent large bodies of troops an equipment. A single Stormtrooper already represents Speeder Bikes, as we are talking about a whole Stormtrooper Division, not an individual or small squad. I mean come on do you not get at what level of operation this game is taking place at?

Furthermore, there isn't enough combat in this game to make a bunch of extra unit types worthwhile. They just won't matter.

I expect an expansion for this like most FFG games, but it isn't going to involve adding extra unit types to a game that operates in the full galaxy theatre of things. I don't think the OP understands this game at all.

What I understand is that the rebels play the cards and missions and Imperials play the units and combat. If there is not enough combat then imperials are losing (if they haven't already lost). If rebels are playing the combat game then either they are throwing it unless they are winning in which the Imperial player(s) should forfeit.

Yeah I get it is a set up of abstraction much like Twilight Imperium Planetary forces are only a flag, why Axis and Allies have only infantry and tanks and didn't have half-tracks and field arty (until AH put them in). I was just looking at the movies and seeing what the game was missing like with the start of most FFG Star Wars games (except the force awakens, there is literally nothing FFG could do with that yet other than the new X-wing).

Well I get it, the game just came out why rush for the expansion (and yes it is inevitable, making an expansion for board games is like printing money for FFG). But still I'll bring up ideas and predictions about it anyways.

Considering everyone is saying heroes and missions only, I'll think I'll go with locations next. With Rebels coming out I am certain there will be some new systems that could be added into the cannon.

It's spelled canon. The only thing you add to cannon is gunpowder and cannonballs. And sometimes circus performers.

Also Rebels coming out? I think it just finished its second season. There are plenty of systems that could be added but the game is balanced at 32 systems. If you add more, it becomes harder for the Empire to win unless you similarly increase the turn count. And it's already a very long game.

Also...FFG probably discussed everything were saying months back, and with more information to work from, likely eliminated most if not all of these ideas. Whatever we think sounds cool, they aren't asking for our suggestions. If it's happening, they decided months ago.

Edited by KoalaXav
On 4/17/2016 at 5:50 AM, Stone37 said:

I think there is a ZERO % chance of new Rebel and Imperial miniatures. The game is balanced. A new mission and objectives pack may be possible. 2 new factions (smugglers for rebels and bounty hunters for the empire) would be a nice way to make this an actual four player game though.

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

****, you beat me to it, dude. :D

Way to bring this one back!

giphy.gif

Wow did this boost my ego! People remember my posts more than a year after I've posted them!! :D

I'm happy to be wrong about this one.

I think with the addition of the green dice, there is a bit more design space in terms of units. Between that and special abilities (like on the Interdictor), each unit will play its own role.

All of the damage sides on the green die are the explosion symbols meaning it has a lot of flexibility on who it can target. But we will see in terms of blanks and tactics symbols.

3 Explosions & 1 tactics is strictly better than red/black, so that seems unlikely. 2 explosions & 1 tactics seems weak so maybe 3 explosions & 3 blanks?

On 5/5/2017 at 3:14 PM, Deadwolf said:

I think with the addition of the green dice, there is a bit more design space in terms of units. Between that and special abilities (like on the Interdictor), each unit will play its own role.

All of the damage sides on the green die are the explosion symbols meaning it has a lot of flexibility on who it can target. But we will see in terms of blanks and tactics symbols.

3 Explosions & 1 tactics is strictly better than red/black, so that seems unlikely. 2 explosions & 1 tactics seems weak so maybe 3 explosions & 3 blanks?

In general, it just helps to have the green die, since die max out at 5 per color for red and black.

I have a feeling we'll see Imperials benefiting most from this, though it could make the Rebel base just a little bit more of a giant.

22 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

In general, it just helps to have the green die, since die max out at 5 per color for red and black.

I have a feeling we'll see Imperials benefiting most from this, though it could make the Rebel base just a little bit more of a giant.

Well I also hope that they have more methods of getting Rebels out of their base. That is the one tactic I hate the most. Not a single rebel control marker or unit on the board, yet the rebel base has every freaking rebel peace. Maybe if there was a rendezvous point so Rebels can leave the base (taking an extra turn) without exposing the base, they won't turtle up as much. Well that is for another topic.

22 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Well I also hope that they have more methods of getting Rebels out of their base. That is the one tactic I hate the most. Not a single rebel control marker or unit on the board, yet the rebel base has every freaking rebel peace. Maybe if there was a rendezvous point so Rebels can leave the base (taking an extra turn) without exposing the base, they won't turtle up as much. Well that is for another topic.

8 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Maybe I misunderstand your statement, but Hidden Fleet is often a great strategy for the Rebellion.

Image result for star wars rebellion hidden fleet

The rebel mission deck contains more than a few of this card, too. It's really not a bad way for the Rebels to make raids against Imperial fleets to slow the Empire down.

15 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Maybe I misunderstand your statement, but Hidden Fleet is often a great strategy for the Rebellion.

I'm not sure what he meant either, but I think he's complaining that turtling is (in his opinion) too effective strategy for Rebels. Or maybe just too annoying/boring.

7 minutes ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

I'm not sure what he meant either, but I think he's complaining that turtling is (in his opinion) too effective strategy for Rebels. Or maybe just too annoying/boring.

Maybe, though it's not like the Rebels don't currently have the capability to leave the Rebel base. If they want to turtle up, though, they can totally avoid using Hidden Fleet.

Would be interesting if the Empire had a way to siphon units out of the Rebel base, though.

Maybe something like:

False Beacon.

Attempt on a system that has no units on it. If successful, the Rebel player must bring 3 health worth of Rebel units to this system from the Rebel base.

Edited by subtrendy2
2 hours ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

Well mainly both. But again that should be for another thread, this was for new units. As you see most of my predictions were not in the product but a few. Neb-B, rebel Turret, and Imperial Shield Gen were. But not the other star-fighters or infantry. There was a Rocket ship and the Interdictor (not raider) made it to the expansion.

2 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Maybe, though it's not like the Rebels don't currently have the capability to leave the Rebel base. If they want to turtle up, though, they can totally avoid using Hidden Fleet.

Would be interesting if the Empire had a way to siphon units out of the Rebel base, though.

Maybe something like:

False Beacon.

Attempt on a system that has no units on it. If successful, the Rebel player must bring 3 health worth of Rebel units to this system from the Rebel base.

They do, but doing so is basically telling the Imperial player "I'm over here, kill me!". So unless the Rebels are about to launch an assault on Correscuant and score the Lvl 3 objective that wins them the game (was in +5 influence?). That's not going to happen.

On 6/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, Marinealver said:

They do, but doing so is basically telling the Imperial player " I'm over here, kill me !". So unless the Rebels are about to launch an assault on Correscuant and score the Lvl 3 objective that wins them the game (was in +5 influence?). That's not going to happen.

Are you referring to how vulnerable Rebel fleets are outside of the base, or that revealing a fleet implies the base's location?

If it's the first, keep in mind Rapid Mobilization can also help get those units back to the base. Also, there are other reasons than simply taking Coruscant- lots of objective cards for the Rebels focus on martial victories, and the ability of the Rebels to really pick and choose their fights with Rapid Mo is absolutely invaluable. It took me quite a while to really understand the value of this card, too (after all, I also figured the Rebels were best off just turtling) but a strong Rebel player can really mess up the Empire's plans with this. Heck, even without objective cards, the Rebels can use it for tactical strike against armies, taking down troop carriers, retreating, and significantly slowing down the Empire.

If you're instead referring to revealing the Rebel base... well, sure. But keep in mind, it can also be done as a ruse, to draw attention away from the Rebel base, too.

On 6/5/2017 at 6:23 AM, subtrendy2 said:

Are you referring to how vulnerable Rebel fleets are outside of the base, or that revealing a fleet implies the base's location?

If it's the first, keep in mind Rapid Mobilization can also help get those units back to the base. Also, there are other reasons than simply taking Coruscant- lots of objective cards for the Rebels focus on martial victories, and the ability of the Rebels to really pick and choose their fights with Rapid Mo is absolutely invaluable. It took me quite a while to really understand the value of this card, too (after all, I also figured the Rebels were best off just turtling) but a strong Rebel player can really mess up the Empire's plans with this. Heck, even without objective cards, the Rebels can use it for tactical strike against armies, taking down troop carriers, retreating, and significantly slowing down the Empire.

If you're instead referring to revealing the Rebel base... well, sure. But keep in mind, it can also be done as a ruse, to draw attention away from the Rebel base, too.

revealing the fleet or more to the point moving the fleet from the rebel base. For most games when a rebel unit is put on the rebel base it stays there until the base is revealed. Sure there is an evacuation but even then the units don't move from the rebel base spot. Turtling and rapid mobilization are not bad mechanics or strategy, it is when they are both used in conjunction that the game just dies. Imperials spread out to find the base. The one Star Destroyer found it but now has to face 3 mon cals and a squadron of Y-wings. The rest of the fleet starts to make their way, then Rapid Mo appears. Repeat until game ends in rebel victory.

We're getting off topic. So new units. Some predicted (Nebulon B) others not predicted (plex trooper). Anything that in the upcoming expansion are you excited for?

Edited by Marinealver
On 7/3/2017 at 11:40 PM, Marinealver said:

revealing the fleet or more to the point moving the fleet from the rebel base. For most games when a rebel unit is put on the rebel base it stays there until the base is revealed. Sure there is an evacuation but even then the units don't move from the rebel base spot. Turtling and rapid mobilization are not bad mechanics or strategy, it is when they are both used in conjunction that the game just dies. Imperials spread out to find the base. The one Star Destroyer found it but now has to face 3 mon cals and a squadron of Y-wings. The rest of the fleet starts to make their way, then Rapid Mo appears. Repeat until game ends in rebel victory.

We're getting off topic. So new units. Some predicted (Nebulon B) others not predicted (plex trooper). Anything that in the upcoming expansion are you excited for?

I think the two things that I'm most interested about are the Interdictors and the Shield Bunkers. Seems like they might really change how the game is played.

Everything else (Plex, Tanks, Turrets, Nebulon, TIE Striker) are cool enough minis, but I don't see them changing up the game a ton. If anything, they might give the Empire a slight advantage in large conflicts where they bring a lot of units, as they'll be rolling past what the dice cap previously was (though these green dice seem to be extremely swingy).

There might also be a slight new strategy for the Rebels, in that it'll presumably be easier to field more ground troops that can deal damage to walkers.

I do wish that we'd gotten Deathtroopers instead of the tanks, and that "Krennic's Finest" was switched out for something less obtuse.

It was verified that the green dice have 2 critical results and 4 blank results. So mostly worse than normal dice but more likely to be useful in any circumstance. General purpose dice as opposed to specific use dice.

1 hour ago, davidumstattd said:

It was verified that the green dice have 2 critical results and 4 blank results. So mostly worse than normal dice but more likely to be useful in any circumstance. General purpose dice as opposed to specific use dice.

Maybe they might have commanders fight more, so Jedi luke can use his lightsaber.

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

I do wish that we'd gotten Deathtroopers instead of the tanks, and that "Krennic's Finest" was switched out for something less obtuse.

I'm actually sad that they put in the TIE Striker instead of the TIE Bomber, but then again I was also hopping for TIE Interceptors and B-wings. Oh well the Armada minis are about the same scale, house rules anyone?

31 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Maybe they might have commanders fight more, so Jedi luke can use his lightsaber.

I'm actually sad that they put in the TIE Striker instead of the TIE Bomber, but then again I was also hopping for TIE Interceptors and B-wings. Oh well the Armada minis are about the same scale, house rules anyone?

There's always the possibility of a Rebels expansion with them in it.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any Rebels- themed fighters that the Empire would have (other than that experimental variant, but that seems more Project related anyway), so I'd assume the Rebels stuff would be more leader related while the units could fill out stuff that fans still want (Bombers/Interceptors, B wings, etc).

I do like how the new dice fit their niche. If we did get new units, I'd want them to do something similar. The green dice units seem to be pretty effectively called "Support Dice". They add to the strength of an army, but are not reliable on their own.

Say we get something themed like Interceptors/A Wings, Speeder Bikes/Tauntaun Riders, Raider 1 Corvette/MC30c. All units relatively known for speed. Give them a blue die with one or two crit symbols on it (perhaps, preferably one). Then, each side deals blue damage first and removes casualties before the rest of the units go. Sort of like "First Strike" in MTG.

I dunno, I'm sure I'm being ridiculously specific right now, but I just wanted to really demonstrate that I like what FFG did with these units in RotE: Give us dice that make the units play differently, don't just give us more dice.

Edited by subtrendy2
6 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

There's always the possibility of a Rebels expansion with them in it.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any Rebels- themed fighters that the Empire would have (other than that experimental variant, but that seems more Project related anyway), so I'd assume the Rebels stuff would be more leader related while the units could fill out stuff that fans still want (Bombers/Interceptors, B wings, etc).

I do like how the new dice fit their niche. If we did get new units, I'd want them to do something similar. The green dice units seem to be pretty effectively called "Support Dice". They add to the strength of an army, but are not reliable on their own.

Say we get something themed like Interceptors/A Wings, Speeder Bikes/Tauntaun Riders, Raider 1 Corvette/MC30c. All units relatively known for speed. Give them a blue die with one or two crit symbols on it (perhaps, preferably one). Then, each side deals blue damage first and removes casualties before the rest of the units go. Sort of like "First Strike" in MTG.

I dunno, I'm sure I'm being ridiculously specific right now, but I just wanted to really demonstrate that I like what FFG did with these units in RotE: Give us dice that make the units play differently, don't just give us more dice.

I do like the dice combat system, it is better than the typical Axis and Allies dice combat that most games of these type followed.

I tried to make a house rule adapting Rebellion's dice combat for Twilight Imperium using Star Wars Armada Dice. I need to translate the flag ships into the dice but this is what I got so far.

It basically follows black is Infantry, Blue is fighters and Red is armored/ships. Hits are standard, Crits are direct hits and accuracy doesn't have a deck but allows you to allocate a hit instead of the defender.

Edited by Marinealver

Cool! I haven't played TI yet, but I'll check it out once I (inevitably) get into it!

now that we are getting at least one expansion, i would absolutely LOVE a Clone Wars expansion that replaces the missions and miniatures and offers up perhaps a less asymmetric win/loss scenario and more of a "galactic conquest" style-play between Separatists and Republic ~ the map already has a lot of CW-centric planets and it'd make for a fun, differentiated experience from the current game IMHO.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:38 PM, artiepants said:

now that we are getting at least one expansion, i would absolutely LOVE a Clone Wars expansion that replaces the missions and miniatures and offers up perhaps a less asymmetric win/loss scenario and more of a "galactic conquest" style-play between Separatists and Republic ~ the map already has a lot of CW-centric planets and it'd make for a fun, differentiated experience from the current game IMHO.

What you describe is an entirely new game with different victory conditions, sides, and mechanics. Maybe the same board tho.

Anyway I suspect one other Star Wars: Rebels themed expansion at least.