UPDATE >> The Adventurer's Toolkit has arrived!

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

I'm pleased to annouce that The Adventurer’s Toolkit , the first supplement for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay , is about to start shipping to distributors. It should be available very soon!

As threats to the Empire’s stability loom, some brave individuals step forward to lend their aid to the cause, while others are caught up in fate’s plans to find themselves facing perilous adventures. With more than 50 action cards, 30 talent cards, 10 new careers, and much more, The Adventurer’s Toolkit expands your options and deepens your Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay experience!

Now that it's release is imminent, I wanted to share a bit of a spoiler -- the roster of the ten new careers included in the Adventurer's Toolkit:

• Bailiff
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Dockhand
  • Ironbreaker
  • Pit Fighter
  • Ratcatcher (with his Small But Vicious Dog)
  • Scribe
  • Smuggler
  • Sword Master
  • Wardancer

Thanks Ynnen

I`ll certainly look forward to the Toolkit, I ordered it togheter with extra dice and the basic pack.

Problem is I will propably will have to wait till the thawing since I live sooo fare away from you guys (Norsca)

Keep up the good work FFG!!! aplauso.gif

Holy crap that's awesome. A bunch of careers that I was hoping to get sooner than later.

I forget... is it with this expansion that we are going to get the Halfling race?

Just curious. I can live without halfings. I mean, my first campaign happens in Stirland, where they HATE halflings.

Probably the most pressing question my group has regarding jumping aboard the WHFRP3 bus is what all will we truly need to get started? There are typically 4-7 of us sitting at the table, with as many as 8 including the GM. If we buy the base set plus this toolkit and extra dice, do we have enough stuff to make a go of it? Having to buy 2 core boxes is going to be prohibitive, especially since none of us have a way of really gaining much exposure to the game before one of us bites the $100 bullet.

Also, does your career box you in for the life of your character the way classes do in D&D? I'm fond of more open systems where a starting "class" is really just boosted levels in certain traits, but otherwise the system is fairly open to freestyling your progression. I realize this question goes beyond the scope of the Toolkit discussion, but I figured I'd get both questions asked this way.

This is extremely good news Jay - I'll definitely be ordering mine as soon as I can.

Now how about those dice? angel.gif

THanks for the news. I think people will be asking: are there more "basic action" cards?

jh

Rykaar said:

Probably the most pressing question my group has regarding jumping aboard the WHFRP3 bus is what all will we truly need to get started? There are typically 4-7 of us sitting at the table, with as many as 8 including the GM. If we buy the base set plus this toolkit and extra dice, do we have enough stuff to make a go of it? Having to buy 2 core boxes is going to be prohibitive, especially since none of us have a way of really gaining much exposure to the game before one of us bites the $100 bullet.

Also, does your career box you in for the life of your character the way classes do in D&D? I'm fond of more open systems where a starting "class" is really just boosted levels in certain traits, but otherwise the system is fairly open to freestyling your progression. I realize this question goes beyond the scope of the Toolkit discussion, but I figured I'd get both questions asked this way.

Careers in Warhammer dont box you in you complete one and then can evolve into another, or even abandon the one you have and gain another. As far as I am aware 3rd ed is keeping this method in tact, but I cant say for certain as I dont have the rules.

Loswaith said:

Rykaar said:

Careers in Warhammer dont box you in you complete one and then can evolve into another, or even abandon the one you have and gain another. As far as I am aware 3rd ed is keeping this method in tact, but I cant say for certain as I dont have the rules.

Yep, that is right and in fact is even more free form in that sense than previous editions. I think there is a designer diary somewhere that explains advancement, check that out for how you move from one career to the other.

As for components, well the general concensus seems to be that cards etc won't be too much of a problem, if your players don't mind sharing. The core set somes with 3 sets of the basic cards and the tool kit has one more, and people generally think those cards can easily support 6-8+ without issues. talents and unique action cards only have one copy in the core set, but its unlikely that these would be shared between more than 2 to 3 of your players anyway, you might need to come up with some clever ways of tracking re-charge on those cards, in that case, everyone who has the rules seems to think its achievable, but I'm not sure how many people have tried this in practice.

I think the bigger problem for a group that size will be the dice... having to constantly share round the dice from the main set with 8 people will slow things down, but there are extra dice sets for purchase, another couple might be a good idea for your large group.

One other thing that does concern me is the stance meters and tokens generally.I think there are 6 stance central pieces and tracking tokens in the main box, and i assume another 1 in the tool kit.

Again, you can probably use some other method for extra players to track this stuff, so its not a show stopper, but i guess that why FFG say the core set is best suited for 3 players plus Gm and the tool kit adds another 1 comfortably..

I wonder if additional stance pieces will come in the campaign set?

I think you'll be fine when you are in the 4-6 category with just the main set, but above that, the extra tokens in the tool kit (whatever they are!) will probably come in handy, plus a extra set or two of dice, obviously.

Still no squires, knights, or assassins. Will we see them in an Adventurer's Toolkit II, or some bigger expansion?

Excellent, I am looking forward to receiving my copy, adding the cards into my decks, and exploring the new options!

I was really hoping for 1 new caster and 1 new priest type each exp.

So far, the only thing I really don't care for in the new iteration is the lack of casting careers/options.

• I really want to see all the colleges represented
  • I want to see all of the core religions represented
  • I NEED Necromancy, Chaotic magic & Hedgewizardry

pumpkin said:

I think the bigger problem for a group that size will be the dice... having to constantly share round the dice from the main set with 8 people will slow things down, but there are extra dice sets for purchase, another couple might be a good idea for your large group.

One other thing that does concern me is the stance meters and tokens generally.I think there are 6 stance central pieces and tracking tokens in the main box, and i assume another 1 in the tool kit.

I've been running for five players, and those are exactly the challenges I've hit. I believe there are only *5* event/central pieces, and of course the dice are really just enough for one player at a time. With five players, I end up having to flip stance pieces to represent central ones for trackers (which is fine, but less flexible in some cases); I could easily use seven or eight in a given game (initiative, a track or two). And at least one more full set of dice for the other end of the table.

Talents and actions are easy to use communally.

So no word on halflings?

ynnen said:

I'm pleased to annouce that The Adventurer’s Toolkit , the first supplement for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay , is about to start shipping to distributors. It should be available very soon!

As threats to the Empire’s stability loom, some brave individuals step forward to lend their aid to the cause, while others are caught up in fate’s plans to find themselves facing perilous adventures. With more than 50 action cards, 30 talent cards, 10 new careers, and much more, The Adventurer’s Toolkit expands your options and deepens your Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay experience!

Now that it's release is imminent, I wanted to share a bit of a spoiler the roster of the ten new careers included in the Adventurer's Toolkit:

• Bailiff
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Dockhand
  • Ironbreaker
  • Pit Fighter
  • Ratcatcher (with his Small But Vicious Dog)
  • Scribe
  • Smuggler
  • Sword Master
  • Wardancer

This gives me coinfidence that I made a good thing buying it with the core set. Now I'm sure that this new careers will be one of the most wanted by my players. Especialy the Bounty hunter, Sword Master, Ironbreaker, Ratcatcher and Wardancer. :)

HedgeWizard said:

I was really hoping for 1 new caster and 1 new priest type each exp.

So far, the only thing I really don't care for in the new iteration is the lack of casting careers/options.

• I really want to see all the colleges represented
  • I want to see all of the core religions represented
  • I NEED Necromancy, Chaotic magic & Hedgewizardry

I'll probably be picking up the tool kit as well. But more than what the took kit offer, I also want what all the colleges and cults.

Highwayman - need this one!

Necrozius said:

So no word on halflings?

this.

Adventurer's Toolkit looks good and I'm glad I preordered it. Now we just need knights especially Knights of the White Wolf and some "geographic" based expansions. Though, if the geographic expansions were tied to campaigns/adventures that would probably be for the better.