About Peril cards

By gzavatwar, in Middle-earth Quest

I have a question related to the Peril cards that are NOT played by Sauron when he makes his choice. Are they revealed to the Heros?

I mean, it could be useful for Heros to know that a given Peril card (e.g. the "Moria" one) has been discarded, thus not being a threat anymore until the Peril deck is reshuffled. So, is Sauron compelled to tell the Heros the name of the cards that are discarded without being played, either by choice or because not playable on the current hero's location?

TIA

"After resolving the Peril card, all three drawn cards are
discarded faceup to a discard pile adjacent to the Peril deck." (p. 22)

OK, but are player able to examine discard piles? If not, you can discard Balrog peril at the bottom of three.

Wallenstein said:

OK, but are player able to examine discard piles? If not, you can discard Balrog peril at the bottom of three.

Rules don't touch on this issue. As a general rule, I'd say a player may check their own discard pile, but not another player's. As for discarding, doing it one card at a time is how we play, so Peril deck is a minor memory test for the Heroes, nothing overwhelming.

Because the rules state that these kinds of discards, like Shadow Cards for instance at the setup of the game, are discarded open , they should be and are available to all players for inspection. There is no reason why they shouldn't be. If they weren't, the rules would be just as specific about discarding the cards closed . This isn't the case, but there are instances when cards are put at the bottom of a draw stack (for instance plot cards not chosen by Sauron), so obviously unseen to the other players.

Making this distinction means, in my mind, that open discards are visible and therefore available for inspection, as I said. I would call this a boardgame convention, because it seems very strange to me that cards could be discarded open (as explicitly stated in the rules) would not be open for inspection. It goes against, as I said boardgame convention ("mores").

Regardless of the intent of the rules, we consider the Peril cards to be tools of Sauron, hense the players cant look at the discard deck. Its more fun that way anyway.

We play them as open and you can look at them freely since they go face up to the discard. However after a few games nobody really wants to look at them since looking at them only depresses you more. I remember one game where a guy had 4 peril cards on him and couldn't do much of anything for a turn or two. He just sat there seriously pissed off at my wife who thoroughly enjoys playing Sauron.

Baenre said:

We play them as open and you can look at them freely since they go face up to the discard. However after a few games nobody really wants to look at them since looking at them only depresses you more. I remember one game where a guy had 4 peril cards on him and couldn't do much of anything for a turn or two. He just sat there seriously pissed off at my wife who thoroughly enjoys playing Sauron.

Did you mean Peril or Corruption? Perils are not played on characters as "attachments", Corruptions are.