Jory Cassel and claim soak

By SirLargeness, in Rules Questions

Jory Cassel

Interrupt: When a unique character you control would be killed, sacrifice Jory Cassel to save it. Then, if there is a Winter plot card revealed, that character gains 1 power.

My opponent wins a Military challenge with a claim of 2 and i have Jory Cassel, Sansa, and 2 hedge knights out.Wondering if the timing here works for the following result.

I select Jory and Sansa to apply the claim result to. Then I Sacrifice Jory to save Sansa. At this time, with Jory going to the discard for his sacrifice and Sansa being saved, have i fulfilled the claim requirements? Do i need to apply results to either of my hedge knights?

It does work.

- You choose all of the targets for claim, then they are killed together -- as opposed to choosing one, killing it, choosing the second, then killing it.

- When you save a character from being killed by military claim, you are still considered to have satisfied the claim requirement (mostly because you are already past the point where claim targets can be chosen; you don't get to "rewind" the game and choose new targets just because the original one was saved).

- Interrupts are triggered before the resolution of whatever they are interrupting. That's why saves work in the first place - stopping the character from ever leaving play in the first place (as opposed to killing them, taking them off the board, then returning them to play when the save is triggered).

- Because interrupts are triggered before the resolution of whatever they are interrupting, choosing Jory for claim (or for any effect that kills multiple characters at the same time) still gives him time, before leaving the table, to be sacrificed to save another character killed by the same claim (or multi-kill) effect.

All of that boils down to the timing working exactly as you say and satisfying claim fully (because you don't get to "rewind" and choose new targets for claim).

Related query;

I have one copy of Jory in play and another in my hand and am facing a military claim of one. Can I sacrifice Jory to save himself, thus placing him in the discard pile not the dead pile? This came up in a game recently, and we had some disagreement about it since the conditions for Jory's interrupt are present (a unique Stark character is being killed) but he is no longer in play when the targets are chosen (costs are paid at step 4, targets chosen at step 5). My assumption is that it would be a legal play because when the ability is announced the restrictions on it are met, then costs for the ability can be paid, then they are paid, and the action fizzles after that.

but he is no longer in play when the targets are chosen (costs are paid at step 4, targets chosen at step 5).

You're mixing up your steps here.

You pay the cost of claim in Step 4 (there isn't one) and choose Jory as the target of claim in Step 5. It's not until Steps 6 and 7 of claim where claim would actually kill Jory, so it's not until then that you will use his Interrupt to save him. And it's not until Step 4 of triggering his interrupt that you pay the cost of his interrupt by sacrificing him.

Said more simply, perhaps, Jory is sacrificed to pay the cost of his ability in Step 4 of triggering his Interrupt. This doesn't come until well after Step 5 of resolving the claim effect, where he is chosen as the claim target. Don't mistake Step 4 of resolving claim with having to pay the cost for save effects on characters that haven't actually been killed yet.

I do not think I was clear enough, please allow me to rectify that.

The situation is as stated above. Can I, during Step 6 of Claim Resolution, use Jory Casel's Interrupt ability to prevent himself from being killed by the Claim's effect?

Yes. There is pretty much no difference between that an the original question.

Note that Jory - like pretty much all other save effects - does not use the word "choose," so his ability has no target. If the earlier concern between Step 4 and Step 5 is that Jory isn't around to choose his target, that isn't an issue because Jory's save effect has no target to choose.

The fact that Jory doesn't have a target is the reason I assumed your confusion was related to choosing targets for claim.

I was really only looking for confirmation that this is a legal play.