Rightous Fury

By JanB, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Hi Folks,

played the Warrior Priest and had a situation that i have only one enemy engaged with me.

I attack with "Rightous Fury" and decide to exhaust an additional action to gain +1 success for this attack. is this legal?

Unfortunately, no. The extra success is linked to targeting an additional enemy. I don't have the cards with me, but IIRC the wording is:

Before this action, you may exhaust another action to target 1 additional enemy and apply +1 success

The +1 success follows the word "and," so it is dependent on targeting an additional enemy. FFG is very good at wording their clauses (usually). If it worked the way you used it, it would read like this:

Before this action, you may exhaust another action to target 1 additional enemy. Apply +1 success to this action.

Edited by FatherTurin

I could see that interpretation being true, however, I could also see a case made that the extra success + targetting an additional enemy are linked to exhausting the other action, you exhaust the additional action, you get those two benefits to be used as you see fit. I mean, even if you have two enemies that you choose to target, you can pile all the damage from the attack to just a single enemy.

The way i understand it is that there are two beneficial effects from exhausting another of your actions:

1) You may target another enemy.

2) You apply a +1 success.

I do not believe the +1 success is reliant on having to target another enemy. You get the +1 success anyway by exhausting the other action (the Criteria for the benefits)

This seems to fit the theme in that the Priest is enthused with his self righteousness and should reap his bonus success even if there are no other enemies to engage. this is how I play it.

Yeah, actually I was planning on coming back to this thread to take back my previous answer. I think you might be able to do this, but there's an argument for each side. In the rules reference under "Actions" (page 4) it says that you can perform an action even if there are no targets available. However, the section on "Hero Effects" (page 7) says that if an effect has one or more requirements that a hero must fulfil to use that effect, a hero who cannot fulfil those requirements cannot resolve the effect. So the question is this:

Is the requirement of the effect exhausting an additional action, and targeting the additional enemy and getting a success both non-inclusive effects? Or is targeting an additional enemy a requirement?

I'm starting to lean towards the later.

Help us Adam Sadler (Sorenthion), you're our only hope!

Saw a similar thread on BGG about this very card, people seemed split over its interpretation same as here.

Too bad it will probably be over half a year before we get a proper FAQ. If ever. :(

Edited by JohnGarrison1870