Invading any other planet than the "First"

By BigTimeVillain, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Hey guys ans gals,

First off, apologies if this question has already been asked. Looking through the topic titles I couldn't see it myself but I could be wrong.

I was wondering if someone could help a new player. I feel like I've got a good grasp on the rules but there's something I want to clarify before I throw myself into the game.

My question is: If the only planet awarded to a Combat winners' Victory Screen is the planet marked with the First Planet token, why send troops and warlords anywhere else? The only reason I can think of is to claim that planets Battle Rewards or to have troops already positioned there for when that planet inevitably becomes the "First Planet".

Am I right in thinking that or have I missed something?

Thanks in advance!

My question is: If the only planet awarded to a Combat winners' Victory Screen is the planet marked with the First Planet token, why send troops and warlords anywhere else? The only reason I can think of is to claim that planets Battle Rewards or to have troops already positioned there for when that planet inevitably becomes the "First Planet".

Well, one of the main reasons is to win command struggles so that you have more resources and cards available to you.

Other than that, your reasons are good ones. If you don't need to First Planet to win, setting up your troops at a more important planet is a good idea -- especially since they will already be there, ready, when the Planet becomes the first planet and the battle starts (as opposed to arriving exhausted from the HQ during the command phase). Forcing a battle at a planet with a necessary Battle Ability, or to thin out an opponent's forces when it is NOT the first planet (so that you have a better chance of winning when it IS the first planet) are other strategic reasons to commit to planets other than the first.\

That said, there are decks and playstyles that just keep going to planet 1 in an attempt to win as many planets as possible.

Thanks for your answer. It makes a lot of sense now I'm hearing it from someone else's perspective :)

Thanks again.