Disappointed with quality of Wolves of the North box. *not the cards*

By rbs529, in General Discussion

So, it's not the cards that are disappointing. I'm disappointed in the quality of the box itself. With Netrunner and LotR LCGs you get quality expansion boxes that I use to hold all sorts of things, from cards for the game to just, everything. I was disappointed to see the new Wolves of the North box was twice the size it needed to be, and is essentially a throw away box.

I hope FFG reconsiders and reverts back to the Netrunner/LotR style expansion boxes for the deluxe expansion. Please for the love of LCGs don't start making cheaper boxes for all the deluxe expansions.

Just my 2c. I'm sure some people agree with me and some don't care.

I don't like the new box style either, but I have a feeling it will spread to the other games like a virus.

Agreed, though I heard some other countries got the fancy boxes for Wolves.

I am seriously actively looking for one of the fancy boxes in other countries to replace my box

Exactly what is the difference? I can't find an unboxing video. All the images I can find look exactly the same style as all the deluxe boxes I already have. All the deluxe boxes I've got so far are already larger than they need to be for the 165 or so cards included, and the information leaflet could very well have been folded.

I do not have mine yet but am told the new box is a thin sleeve or slipcase that goes over the inner tray instead of a solid 5 sided top that slides over a solid 5 sided bottom

That's correct--the box is paperboard of a quality about the same as the old first edition chapter packs. Not dissimilar to the stock of the cards themselves, actually.they must buy the stuff in bulk.

Inside there is a corrugated cardboard spacer, three 52-card plastic-wrapped card packs (each containing 1x of every card), a rules/sample decklist insert, and an FFG Catalog pamphlet.

The reason for the form factor is that they fit 6-to-a-case for a particular size of shipping box. While a large, quality box would be nice, I expect the weight and materials costs are much lower.

Considering they're still $30 after all these years, I'll accept cheaper materials if it means they don't cut card count any further.

3x52 cards‽ That's a whole 9 cards fewer than usual! Outrageous!

If they're going to cheap out like that they could distribute it the same way Epic Card Game is. That's basically just a 120-card thin cardboard deck box. Fits lots more per crate :)

I think they want something that looks eye-catching on a shelf.

I agree with the original poster, I love the better quality boxes for carrying around extra bits especially when I don't have room to lug around the big boss which I use for storing the cards.

Hopefully it won't continue as the quality of the components was always FFGs major selling point in my opinion, first boxes then the components. :(

Is this the Asmodeeification happening?

Hopefully it won't continue

Would pretty much be willing to bet any amount of money that this is just how it is now.

Just got mine. Holy crap, it's awful. Just like the WHFRP product packaging (core excepted). Yep, definitely cutting costs here. Fewer cards than all my other recent LCG deluxe purchases too. Hopefully that's just a side-effect of that particular combination of cards being the best combination to release as a box.

I honestly don't like either box style. The old style just takes up space, but I'd have to hold onto it in case I sold the product later. The new style is cheap garbage in a footprint larger than it needs to be. I'd prefer a deck box for the faction(s) showcased in the expansion. Like AEG's joke game 9 Kingdoms...

Yep, FFG have moved towards visible boxes that cost less to produce. The new pack format with the craptastic plastic is bigger, but cheaper to produce because they just print a little sheet of paper instead of a whole cardboard box. I somehow think that's working against them at my FLGS, because they don't have a single place to hang them, so now all the chapter packs, war packs, data packs etc. lie down, piled on top of each other, invisible to the human eye.

The new pack format with the craptastic plastic is bigger, but cheaper to produce because they just print a little sheet of paper instead of a whole cardboard box.

Yup. Same plastic shells for multiple games which are cheaper in bulk.

I'm trying to understand the logic in making this flimsy box, because I recently got the latest WH40k:Conquest expansion. That one is in the old, sturdier format. Was it ordered at the printer before they switched to newer, crappier boxes? If not it seems the WotN box was a once-off mistake from FFG. Now we'll just have to wait for the Lannister box to see what they're doing :/

There was an interview by The White Book with the head of FFG's LCG development (Michael something) who confirmed that the WotN-style box will be the style going forward; the good boxes will be phasing out for various product lines at different times.