Number of activations of an ability and Exhausted Query

By Smythetech, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Just picked up the core set, and getting more things soon, but whilst trying to learn/teach.

1: What can Exhausted cards do? For example can you still use abilities like Interrupt and Reaction even whilst exhausted?

2: How many times per turn (combat round or full game turn) can I use abilities? I'm looking at the Chaos Sorcerer guy and if he can be triggered multiple times per combat round/turn then that's a massive swing in lethality (new player, but a +1 damage to everything seems nuts if you get it on every action that causes damage).

1. Exhausted cards can do anything that doesn't require them to be ready or to exhaust as part of a play restriction or to pay a cost. For example, an exhausted card clearly cannot use an ability that says, "exhaust this card to...", and clearly cannot access an ability that says, "while this card is ready...". Things like that are simply reading the cards, right? Similarly, you cannot use an exhausted card to attack because exhausting the card is a requirement for declaring the card as an attacker.

Other than that, though, exhausted cards can do anything that ready cards can do. There is nothing in the rules that automatically "turns off" cards or their abilities while they are exhausted. A prime example is something like a Rogue Trader that comes to a planet with the warlord during the command phase. There is nothing about the Trader's resource bonus that depends on the card being ready, so if you win the command struggle at the planet, you get the extra resource, even though the Trader arrived at the planet already exhausted.

2. You can trigger an "Action" ability as many times as you can pay the cost. A good example of this is the Haemonculus Tormentor, which has the ability, " Action: Pay 1[RESOURCE] to give this unit +2 ATK until the end of the phase." You can trigger that Action ability as many times as you want, continually adding an additional +2 ATK until his ATK is 100 if it seems like a good idea to you. Of course, you have to pay 1 resource for each +2, so you'll probably run out of resources before you get to 100, but you get the idea.

That said, you can trigger an "Interrupt" or "Reaction" ability only once per time its triggering condition takes place (assuming you can pay the cost of the ability). A good example is the Eldar Warlord Eldorath Starbane, who has the ability " Reaction: After this warlord commits to a planet, exhaust a target non-warlord unit at that planet." When he commits during the command phase, you only get to react once because he only committed once - and so only exhaust one unit. You cannot go on triggering his reaction enough times to exhaust everything at the planet. However, if you are somehow able to make him commit twice in the same phase/round (which is possible, particularly with the event Foresight), he would be able to use his reaction ability twice - once for each commitment.

1. Exhausted cards can do anything that doesn't require them to be ready or to exhaust as part of a play restriction or to pay a cost. For example, an exhausted card clearly cannot use an ability that says, "exhaust this card to...", and clearly cannot access an ability that says, "while this card is ready...". Things like that are simply reading the cards, right? Similarly, you cannot use an exhausted card to attack because exhausting the card is a requirement for declaring the card as an attacker.

Other than that, though, exhausted cards can do anything that ready cards can do. There is nothing in the rules that automatically "turns off" cards or their abilities while they are exhausted. A prime example is something like a Rogue Trader that comes to a planet with the warlord during the command phase. There is nothing about the Trader's resource bonus that depends on the card being ready, so if you win the command struggle at the planet, you get the extra resource, even though the Trader arrived at the planet already exhausted.

2. You can trigger an "Action" ability as many times as you can pay the cost. A good example of this is the Haemonculus Tormentor, which has the ability, " Action: Pay 1[RESOURCE] to give this unit +2 ATK until the end of the phase." You can trigger that Action ability as many times as you want, continually adding an additional +2 ATK until his ATK is 100 if it seems like a good idea to you. Of course, you have to pay 1 resource for each +2, so you'll probably run out of resources before you get to 100, but you get the idea.

That said, you can trigger an "Interrupt" or "Reaction" ability only once per time its triggering condition takes place (assuming you can pay the cost of the ability). A good example is the Eldar Warlord Eldorath Starbane, who has the ability " Reaction: After this warlord commits to a planet, exhaust a target non-warlord unit at that planet." When he commits during the command phase, you only get to react once because he only committed once - and so only exhaust one unit. You cannot go on triggering his reaction enough times to exhaust everything at the planet. However, if you are somehow able to make him commit twice in the same phase/round (which is possible, particularly with the event Foresight), he would be able to use his reaction ability twice - once for each commitment.

1: Thanks for clearing that up. I asked because I've come from other card games where when something is 'exhausted' (or that systems variant term) it did turn off there activated non-always on abilities.

2: I assumed as much for the interrupts and reactions being once per trigger, but knowing that I can use them repeatedly as long as I meet the requirements changes things up for how I play. And also what I may consider building when I get more expansions/sets.

Thanks for clearing it up.

2: I assumed as much for the interrupts and reactions being once per trigger, but knowing that I can use them repeatedly as long as I meet the requirements changes things up for how I play. And also what I may consider building when I get more expansions/sets.

Just because the wording of this might be a little misleading....

When you say, "but knowing I can use them repeatedly as long as I meet the requirements," are you referring to Action abilities (which can be used repeatedly so long as you meet the play restrictions and can pay the costs), or to Interrupt and Reaction abilities (which cannot technically be used "repeatedly," but can be used once each time you "repeatedly" create the appropriate triggering condition)?

Just because the wording of this might be a little misleading....

When you say, "but knowing I can use them repeatedly as long as I meet the requirements," are you referring to Action abilities (which can be used repeatedly so long as you meet the play restrictions and can pay the costs), or to Interrupt and Reaction abilities (which cannot technically be used "repeatedly," but can be used once each time you "repeatedly" create the appropriate triggering condition)?

Repeatedly as in 'more than once in a given turn' but not in the sense of 'multiple times per trigger'.

Using the Chaos Sorc. Dude as an example I can use him to boost damage on Khorne Bob's attack by +1 and next attack I can use him to boost damage on Nurgle Nigel's attack by +1. I can't however use him to boost Khorne Bob's attack to infinite as it's still only once pre trigger. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Smythetech