PotE + Gut Drill

By Smazzurco, in UFS Rules Q & A

Ok, so i play Gut Drill.

My opponent play's PotE.

My Gut Drill is now discarded (by the wording of PotE).

Now i know the textbook definition of discard means from the hand. But i'd like some clarification.

Does Gut Drill's static trigger?

If the answer is no, which i assume it is, then i have another question. Why do cards like PotE continue to say "discard this card" if by definition discard means from the hand. Many cards say "discard all cards in card pools" etc. I guess there isn't really a word synonomous with discard, but it would be something that would maybe make the game more "clear" (FFG (and helpers) has done a lot to make the rules more clear, i applaud them on that, this is possibly another further suggestion)

Smazzurco said:

Ok, so i play Gut Drill.

My opponent play's PotE.

Now i know the textbook definition of discard means from the hand. But i'd like some clarification.

If the answer is no, which i assume it is, then i have another question. Why do cards like PotE continue to say "discard this card" if by definition discard means from the hand. Many cards say "discard all cards in card pools" etc. I guess there isn't really a word synonomous with discard, but it would be something that would maybe make the game more "clear" (FFG (and helpers) has done a lot to make the rules more clear, i applaud them on that, this is possibly another further suggestion)

Power of the Edge doesn't specify where it's discarded from because it clearly specifies which card is being discarded and when (when it's played), so it's implied that it's from the card pool.

Discarding is by definition to put a card into the discard, no matter where it comes from. If not specified, it means from hand. If it's from the staging area, it's defined as destroying.

guitalex2008 said:

Smazzurco said:

Ok, so i play Gut Drill.

My opponent play's PotE.

Gut Drill's static does not specify from where, so by default it's by hand.

Power of the Edge doesn't specify where it's discarded from because it clearly specifies which card is being discarded and when (when it's played), so it's implied that it's from the card pool.

Discarding is by definition to put a card into the discard, no matter where it comes from. If not specified, it means from hand. If it's from the staging area, it's defined as destroying.

i (think) i agree with all this. And thus is does not trigger. Also destroy vs discard to me is quite clear (2 different words for example). But discarding from hand vs from the card pool is a seperate issue. Im just saying maybe we need a word (like destroy) to specify discard from card pool.

First thing that pops in my head is "remove" but that is too close to "remove from game" and people could see it as a shortned version, etc, basically it would lead to more confusion.

Then again i fail, doesn't PotE say to negate its effects...that would include static....so its a null argument me thinks

A card like Gut Drill that just says discard without any reference to location means from hand only. Gut Drill also will not trigger when discarded from the top of your deck by milling effects.

PotE specifically refers to a card in your opponent's card pool and says to discard it, so obviously it's saying to discard it from their card pool, which means it ignores the "from hand" default.

Smazzurco said:

Then again i fail, doesn't PotE say to negate its effects...that would include static....so its a null argument me thinks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can cancel "static" text (which is moot in this situation, obviously).

You can however "pre-nullify" said affects. I.E. Armored Defense would shut down the constant text on Fight for the Future.

ROTBI said:

Smazzurco said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can cancel "static" text (which is moot in this situation, obviously).

You can however "pre-nullify" said affects. I.E. Armored Defense would shut down the constant text on Fight for the Future.

i think it depends. MOST negation is "after your opponent PLAYS" type of triggers. Static abilities are not "played" so there is usually no trigger. but if you reacted with PotE to the PLAYING of gut drill (to discard it) then the following text on PotE is to negate it's "effects".

Usually you cannot negate static text because there is no trigger, in this case the trigger is set up by something else...so it MIGHT work....strange

Actually the effect of gut drills static text / continous ability is negateable by PotE.

Because it simply says "Negate / Cancel the effects of that card", it will negate a continuous effect, because it is an effect.

Antigoth said:

Actually the effect of gut drills static text / continous ability is negateable by PotE.

Because it simply says "Negate / Cancel the effects of that card", it will negate a continuous effect, because it is an effect.

adds PotE to kisheri....

Antigoth said:

guitalex2008 said:

Antigoth said:

I believe the original question was, if Gut Drill was PotE'd from the card pool, can it play itself? The answer is no, because even though it was discarded (wording from PotE), it wasn't discarded from hand (which is needed for Gut Drill to trigger). I have no idea how we got on this tangent lol

Edit: Hi. im dumb

guitalex2008 said:

Antigoth said:

I believe the original question was, if Gut Drill was PotE'd from the card pool, can it play itself? The answer is no, because even though it was discarded (wording from PotE), it wasn't discarded from hand (which is needed for Gut Drill to trigger). I have no idea how we got on this tangent lol

First of all, thanks for the clarification Antigoth.

Secondly, yes, the first question was answered clearly and correctly. I was just asking a question I thought of as a result of canceling statement made in the reply. Totally not related to what you said Alex, I know, lol.

Smazzurco said:

Antigoth said:

adds PotE to kisheri....

Sal, you're too funny, man. I suggested this about a week and a half ago.