Strange Fashion

By Smazzurco, in UFS General Discussion

I havent seen any talk of this card.

Its the answer to lolbigdamagethrows, which is something people have been saying needed an answer.

Anyone gonna MD it? more of a sideboard? It has no block and is sort of expensive but against King and the like it can be a gamesaver (2spd throws lol)

I figured the card was pretty good and didn't feel it warranted a discussion as it's worth is kinda obvious, not to sound like a jerk or anything.

I've been playtesting stuff most of this weak. I've found some stuff that I thought would be awesome in theory are not working that awesome in practice. I think strange fashion is one of those cards. The reason I say that is that yes it shuts down throws IN A THROW FOCUS DECK. It doesn't shut down throws in a non-throw focused deck. The reason I say this is that non-throw focused deck has speed pumps and stun. It is easier to speed pump and stun a person and then do the throw after that. It is not an auto-shutdown all throws card. It can be played around. I've found that it is a nice help when you do partial blocks and you are saved from the half damage. Still with all the speed pumps you have to be able to hit that speed values and you will be checking foundations. There is so much speed stuff out I turned my Kilik deck into an agro deck of sorts. The only card that I think wins over all is Kilik with it because he can use it on what ever he can't pop. All in all I think the card is ok. I think it is highly recomended for sideboard materilal ifif you can play it. But I don't think it will win games or turn the tide in a bad match up.

@rotbi, don't worry, no offense taken :P

@dark, I hear what you are saying about decks with a mix of other attacks and throws.

I guess its just before there was so much "complaining" (not a good word to use..maybe discussion) about throws in newFS, and about how top tier king was, etc.

Atleast this card can stop a 4 throw, foundation spam + PotM king deck.

We got our answer to throws...now just need something to deal with some speed pumps

Smazzurco said:

And people called me crazy when I said the deck needed an alternative to a 1 throw PotM kill. CRAZY.

Homme Chapeau said:

Smazzurco said:

And people called me crazy when I said the deck needed an alternative to a 1 throw PotM kill. CRAZY.

It doesn't stop a well built 4 throw king even a little bit.

See Earth has this card Called Valued but not trusted, and used properly in a well built 4 king throw deck, it will make strange fashion obsolete.

There is also this little underplayed gem called Kneel before me, also completely shuts down strange fashion.

Go figure. If it was a R instead of a E, it would be way more effective, as it stands it's barely a speedbump

*sigh* I know throws are the obvious choice, but the real value of this card is being able to block and take no damage from any attack with a mid block.

Half block, take no damage, move on. No, Knight Breaker, you can't destroy something. No, Xianghua, no foundation for you. No, Steve, waste some resources to get your own speed pumps. No, Padma, I don't burn. No, Yoshimitsu, I'd rather keep cards in hand (of course assuming it's not Mt. Devil Divider).

"If this attack deals damage" then becomes "never". Sure, there's a lot fo speed pump, but for the moment Sisters of Battle might actually see some play due to the small card pool. So should Together Again since block mods don't have a minimum. Hooray for negative block mods. Amy's Sidestep could help with blocking.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is Good and Water don't care, and neither does Earth if you have Paid to Protect. Meaning its usefulness in all of its symbols is almost obvious but incredibly overlooked.

Stat-wise, it's hard to auto-include normally, but not for those symbols, who barely have playable 3 or higher diff foundations (Enraged Golem for Earth, MAYBE Trained Far and Wide for Good, and what, Bloodied and Unbowed or something or rather for Order?).

failed2k said:

Homme Chapeau said:

Smazzurco said:

It doesn't stop a well built 4 throw king even a little bit.

See Earth has this card Called Valued but not trusted, and used properly in a well built 4 king throw deck, it will make strange fashion obsolete.

There is also this little underplayed gem called Kneel before me, also completely shuts down strange fashion.

Go figure. If it was a R instead of a E, it would be way more effective, as it stands it's barely a speedbump

Yes a king throw deck can get around Strange Fashion, but before QoS it didn't have too.

It gives an "answer" that at least now a king 4throw deck has to have "answers for the answers" too.

I am in no way saying this card alone brings king from top to bottom tier. But it does at least give a little something for the guy sitting across from King.

A king throw deck (focusing on spam + potm) now has to deal with SF, asset destruction, and be able to survive against the heavy aggro decks. That's at least a bit better than just 4potm + 4 throws + 51 foundations.

I am exaggerating but you get my point.

Its just nice to have some answers, i think that is the balance the game needs. Between strange fashion, faithful bodyguard, PotE, etc, any character should be able to run some "answers" to king....this is not to say it tilts the game in the oppositions favor, but it may at least level the playing field a bit.

Isn't it like... a rare or ultra rare?

Go figure.

Shaneth said:

Go figure.

I believe its an R.

But in all fairness, PotM is like an uberUR lol

True story, sir.

All in all, Imma have to agree with Jeremy. This card barely even touches pro-throw decks, and if it was a response instead of an enhance, it'd actually pose a decent threat.

I don't want to change the subject, but while it's on my mind, whats the 1/5 foundation that's an ultra rare? Apparently it's like... a staple in every Chaos deck?

Shaneth said:

I don't want to change the subject, but while it's on my mind, whats the 1/5 foundation that's an ultra rare? Apparently it's like... a staple in every Chaos deck?

Quick Exit - Blow it up, ready anything.

*sigh*

Mad gay with Comunning.

hard gay with 4 jins.

failed2k said:

(typing with left hand only today - doctors orders, giant swolen rihgt hand - so bear with any really bad typing erroros)

SHHHHHHHH

In any case, I love Strange Fsshion... off Earth, which has very few if any low blocks to its name. Strange Fashion + P2P (untouched) = block anything at printed speed for no damage. Earth is a wall against 1 shots because of Strange Fashion.

I'm not sure if I sideboard or mainboard it though... It is a long game card for sure, i.e. won't help you kill in any way shape or form. I think it goes OK in low vit chaacters, especially those that block and breaker (see Amy, which it shares 2 symbols with).

hmmm,

KNEEL BEFORE ME! must be typed in all caps at all times.

Smazzurco said:

Shaneth said:

Go figure.

I believe its an R.

...I want Kilik.

In all honesty your not going to get 4 out unless you are lucky. Your are looking at on average playing with 2-3. On top of that you still have to block (discad) and tap the foundation. To an extent this is why I think every good throw deck has to pack No forgiveness! to tackle the meta. If you are running a six handsizer with this card you need to keep at least 3 viable blocks in hand against a throw deck to make the card viable. I think that is the harder part. I'm testing Yoshi right now with a primarly throw centered deck. I found that strange fashion didn't shut me down. If I had 2 war between sisters out and any of my draw cards it was pretty much one sided in Yoshi's favor. Dut was right that the only ones that really win from this card are the ones that play earth. Which is funny because they are the main ones throwing out throws. You need P2P to make Strange Fashion (aka top model) to go off with the most consistency.

After testing some of Mitsirugi's cards I have to say is that if you can't reduce his speed your not going to be able to block most times. This is running a life/fire hybrid deck. He has to many solutions/counters between life and fire for Strange Fashion to really stop. Quick strike +pointing thrust with the rest of his support is downright brokensauce on a bun.

hmmm buns..... So Dark how has your testing gone? Are you just dry running these games or actually playing against a live person?

I hope to be able to offer you guys at the shop a challenge when I'm able to play. that is once I build up a card pool.

Some how I don't think my Warhammer UFS cards would be legal since they are from the previous holder of this game STG.

Shaneth said:

*sigh*

Mad gay with Comunning.

Super Gay with PoTM. I think Dane Cook has a monologue about this...something about giant crabs shooting lightning or somethin'...?... gui%C3%B1o.gif

Micah said:

Some how I don't think my Warhammer UFS cards would be legal since they are from the previous holder of this game STG.

Cards printed by STG are legal for Legacy events.

Warhammer cards are for Demonstration Purposes only, and are not legal for play in sanctioned events.

This card makes me want to run character blocks even more not because it doesnt matter if they are mid when you can still take no damage also it solves earths major problem with not having low blocks

As for running them main decks id probably go 2 and 2 in most of my decks probably more if i was running a lower vitality character and less if i was confident on my blocks doin their job or running a deck with lots of draw power to get to said blocks

guitalex2008 said:

Smazzurco said:

Shaneth said:

Go figure.

I believe its an R.

I have 12 of them now.

...I want Kilik.

I have Kiliks 4 of them as a matter of fact if you want to go look at my wants list id be happy to trade at least 3 of them

Hayamachop said:

hard gay with 4 jins.

Quoted for truth and hilarity (especially considering the source)! gran_risa.gif

Antigoth said:

Micah said:

Cards printed by STG are legal for Legacy events.

Warhammer cards are for Demonstration Purposes only, and are not legal for play in sanctioned events.

Might we expect you to be running these in your "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" deck?